Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2009, 03:20 PM

2,586 posts, read 9,073,052 times

Advertisements

Rural NC: Fixin' to--about to

Context: I'm fixin' to do that right now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2009, 03:30 PM

199 posts, read 524,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jellicoe13 View Post
Northeast: Wicked (very): "She has some wicked long hair"
Northeast: Burnout (a stoner): "That burnout must be on some seriously bad drugs because he's sitting there talking to a garbage can."

South Central KY: Yeller (as in yellow): "The neighbor's big yeller dog kept me awake all night with his barking".

KY/TN: burgoo-not really a slang term, but it's a food similar to a gumbo with all kinds of ingredients, usually including squirrel and/or possum.

Southcentral Kentuckians do not ask to go home; they say instead they are "going to the house".

KY Amish: "Shop" (a home-based business, rather than a "shop" where things are sold or a manufacturing facility)

Northeast: Mill (factory) Known as a "plant" also in the Northeast.

Central NY: Crick (a small creek)
"Wicked" is strictly a New England thing. It's not used in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:39 PM

2,106 posts, read 6,606,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJphillyfan View Post
"Wicked" is strictly a New England thing. It's not used in New York, New Jersey, and Pennsylvania.
Wicked is even used in Ohio.. What you mean to say, it's used MORE in New England.

Old 11-04-2009, 03:47 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,247,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Wicked is even used in Ohio.. What you mean to say, it's used MORE in New England.
That could be true but personally I've never heard anybody say wicked anywhere in my life (except on TV lol).

Old 11-04-2009, 04:03 PM

199 posts, read 524,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
I've never heard it used naturally anywhere but in New England, but I'll take your word for it. My point was that "wicked" is a New England thing, not a Northeastern thing. There's a difference, considering New England doesn't comprise all of the Northeast.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:03 PM

263 posts, read 742,538 times
"wicked" is used in middle-of-nowhere michigan. my son uses it either as an adjective or as a one word reply.

Old 11-04-2009, 05:23 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,142,848 times
PNW--You "take" a picture.
Mid-South-You "make" a picture.

PNW--Toboggan=wood sled (no runners)
Mid-South-Toboggan=knit cap

PNW--You "take" someone some where in a car.
Mid-South--You "carry" someone in your car. (Can I carry you there?)

I gotta say, after years living all over, the South has it on any place I've been for expressions...colorful, descriptive, expressive. I've seen northern comedians make fun of them and claim they don't understand some of them...it isn't rocket science.

"Where are you going?"
"To see a man about a dog." (Translation--None of your business. Or as a lot of folks around here say--"None ye.")

There are countless ones.

PNW-Paper or plastic bag?
Mid-South--Paper or plastic sack?

PNW-Lunch
Mid-South-Dinner (evening meal is supper)

PNW-You betcha!
Mid-South-Dang straight.

Old 11-04-2009, 06:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
PNW--You "take" a picture.
Mid-South-You "make" a picture.

PNW--You "take" someone some where in a car.
Mid-South--You "carry" someone in your car. (Can I carry you there?)

I gotta say, after years living all over, the South has it on any place I've been for expressions...colorful, descriptive, expressive. I've seen northern comedians make fun of them and claim they don't understand some of them...it isn't rocket science.

"Where are you going?"
"To see a man about a dog." (Translation--None of your business. Or as a lot of folks around here say--"None ye.")

There are countless ones.

PNW-Paper or plastic bag?
Mid-South--Paper or plastic sack?

PNW-Lunch
Mid-South-Dinner (evening meal is supper)

PNW-You betcha!
Mid-South-Dang straight.
What part of the south you live or lived in???

Old 11-04-2009, 07:47 PM

398 posts, read 1,312,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
Skinem - where is this in the "Mid-South" that they say "Toboggan" to describe a knit cap? I thought that was just an Ohio thing! I swear I have been ALL over the country and I have never heard that until I moved here to SW Ohio!!

Old 11-04-2009, 08:45 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,326,118 times
Don't know if any of you say this, tell me if you do!

Down Here (Norfolk/VB) a premiscuous girl is called a "Jump," we say "Keep it one hundred," meaning to keep it real i guess.

It's really hard to think of your slang because you don't really know your using it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.