Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-10-2009, 07:00 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earthwriter View Post
I'm curious, why do you believe that hunters and fishermen have more respect for animals than the vegetarians and vegans do?
I can't answer for Grapico; but from the people I know who are either vegetarians or vegans, a lot of them are also "animal rights" activists who really don't study, or know what good animal husbandry entails and how a hunt is a good way to cull the numbers so a vast majority of the animals make it year to year. I have had several of them tell me they would rather see an animal starve to death in the winter instead of being hunted because starving is "natural". None of them had ever came across an animal in the wild that is in the process of starving to death, or one that has died of starvation. I have seen both cases and it is NOT a humane way to die for an animal. At least in 90% of the hunting I have done and seen, the kill is clean, quick and the animal didn't even know the hunter was there. Fishing is along the same lines. It is a way to try and manage the fishery so that the fish species that are there now, are still there when our kids and grandkids go to the lake in the future.

The majority of vegetarians and vegans I know understand hunting and fishing, and it is just a way they believe is healthier to live.

I have to add that not all hunters or fishermen respect the animals, and the few who don't, give the vast majority of us that do a bad name.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-10-2009, 07:04 PM

18,336 posts, read 26,368,533 times
When you count on the wildlife and want it to be there year after year, you must develop a respect for it, and you are more likely to be active in ensuring that the wildlife population overall is healthy and has enough habitat.

Old 10-10-2009, 11:48 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,459,115 times
I initially read this as "Southern, rural USA, or all over" and was thinking the second. Although there are "city people" who come here to hunt.

Where I live we've largely eliminated many of the deer's natural predators so I think hunting might be useful. Granted a part of me thinks it'd be better to just revive some of their natural predators, but that's more controversial and would likely take time to work anyway. So I think there's a certain logic in us becoming the predator if no other is available to fill that niche in the ecosystem. Also the hunting is largely limited to an area in the country and I never hear hunting noises in town.

Not that I personally go in much for hunting. Part of that is because I can't, physical condition, and part is it's just not exactly my thing. I've also heard too many stories of people accidentally shooting someone. For me it's more out of concern for the people than the animals. Still it serves a purpose in some cases. A part of me still thinks it should be more for food and clothing than anything, but meh. It's not an issue I feel strongly about one way or other.

However on fishing, with certain provisos, I'm not quite sure I get the objection as well. It's not particularly loud and the risk to killing people is low. As animals go freshwater fish have a very low level of consciousness. I do understand the objection to the "fishing industry" as overfishing is becoming an environmental problem. Also some deep-sea fishing may harm endangered species. I suppose I also understand the vegan objection, in theory, but in most places you go people are going to be eating meat. Even in Buddhist nations they often/usually eat some fish.

Old 10-11-2009, 12:57 AM

4,552 posts, read 14,979,682 times
people in New Mexico love to fish and hunt, my boss right now is hunting elk, my girlfriends dad teaches people to hunt and a few of my co-workers hunt and fish when they get the chance.

growing up, my cousins were always catching catfish at the little lake we had nearby, and kids in school would take time off to go hunting, if you live in a rural state then Im sure its popular, there isnt much else to do.

Old 10-11-2009, 02:53 AM

10,261 posts, read 21,653,518 times
I don't think people have to apologize for being predators, nothing is more natural than for people to hunt, kill and eat animals. That's just the kind of animal we are.

Old 10-11-2009, 03:06 AM

48,505 posts, read 96,514,062 times
All over really.Persoanlly i prefecr leases to public land for the safety factor.

Old 10-11-2009, 05:17 AM

7 posts, read 17,147 times
Hunting is big in Pennsylvania as well as WV, NY (yes you big city New Yorkers...hunting does exist in your state), all of northern New England, the midwest (WI and MI esp.).

I'm not sure about the west, but anywhere there are forests, I'm sure hunting takes place.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:50 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,005,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by deaconj View Post
bessie!
lol!!!

Old 10-11-2009, 07:52 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,005,938 times
I agree, hunting is popular everywhere though there are probably more hunters in the rural areas than in the cities.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:40 AM

3,068 posts, read 7,982,964 times
Talk about the ultimate passion. There are many who live their year round lives around hunting season. As I have seen the bumper/window stickers on trucks: Mossy Oak. IT'S NOT A PASSION. IT'S AN OBSESSION.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.