Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: So have YOU heard of Wales ( A bit of fun )
Yes I've heard of Wales 49 85.96%
No where is that? Part of England? 0 0%
Oh I love Whales...they're beautiful 2 3.51%
What a lame thread! 6 10.53%
Voters: 57. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 06:38 AM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
I hear that they're seen sort of like yokels, rural, agricultral people.
Heh, yeah... I get the sense from glimpses of British pop culture that Wales is regarded as the Appalachia of the UK. Or maybe that's Scotland, and Wales is their Arkansas... I dunno. I just get the impression that these various regions aren't always fond of each other.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:06 AM

30 posts, read 79,333 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Heh, yeah... I get the sense from glimpses of British pop culture that Wales is regarded as the Appalachia of the UK. Or maybe that's Scotland, and Wales is their Arkansas... I dunno. I just get the impression that these various regions aren't always fond of each other.

That made me laugh, I'm going to be totally honest and say that yes 95% of Wales is looked on like that... mainly because of the accent is so think/stupid sounding in the rural areas like the Valleys and West Wales ( But they have some beautiful scenery), but I have to defend Cardiff...in all honesty you could take Cardiff and it would fit into any major country in the world, dare I say it...it's normal...lol.... we have all the mod cons that all major cities have! We also have the OLDEST record shop in the WORLD!!

Also to note, we like the Scots and the Irish...but hate the English! so do the Scots and Irish! poor old bullying England! lol...

Here's a little taste of Cardiff:

We also have a Castle in our city:

Here's a little history for you! lol...

Cardiff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I should work for the Cardiff tourism board! lol..

Old 10-14-2009, 01:30 AM

This is the side of Wales which is nice! The valleys and country side

Old 10-14-2009, 11:06 AM

1,638 posts, read 3,623,678 times
I've never been to Wales (or to the United Kingdom in general), but yes, I'm well aware of it, although this might not be true for many millions of Americans. Americans know about the English, Scots, and Irish, but Wales and Welsh culture is rarely discussed. The last time the average American heard about the "Welsh" was probably from reading the "Welsh Farms" label on a carton of milk.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:15 PM

17,919 posts, read 24,178,739 times
Great pics. I especially like the one of the houses in the cove.

ABQConvict

Old 10-14-2009, 01:19 PM

38,707 posts, read 102,714,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkerwannabe View Post
Also to note, we like the Scots and the Irish...but hate the English! so do the Scots and Irish! poor old bullying England! lol...
Ah, so it's the Celts gangin' up on the English, eh? Fair enough... historic karma and all...

Old 10-16-2009, 03:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drover View Post
Ah, so it's the Celts gangin' up on the English, eh? Fair enough... historic karma and all...

Yeah a little karma didn't do no harm! lol..

Glad you liked the pictures ABQConvict! I told you Cardiff wasn't like a hillbilly place!

Old 10-20-2009, 03:21 AM

This is a little bump..

Can't believe I missed this out.. but Robin Williams claims to be Welsh! one of Americans best comedians ever!!

Old 11-22-2009, 06:37 AM

3 posts, read 4,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkerwannabe View Post

That made me laugh, I'm going to be totally honest and say that yes 95% of Wales is looked on like that... mainly because of the accent is so think/stupid sounding in the rural areas like the Valleys and West Wales ( But they have some beautiful scenery), but I have to defend Cardiff...in all honesty you could take Cardiff and it would fit into any major country in the world, dare I say it...it's normal...lol.... we have all the mod cons that all major cities have! We also have the OLDEST record shop in the WORLD!!

Here's a little taste of Cardiff:

We also have a Castle in our city:

Here's a little history for you! lol...

Cardiff - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I should work for the Cardiff tourism board! lol..
"Also to note, we like the Scots and the Irish...but hate the English! so do the Scots and Irish! poor old bullying England! lol..."

Really?
I don't think my Welsh husband hates his "English" wife.
I think Warren Gatland, your rugby coach might say Wales hates the Irish more than the English...but that would only be on the final match of the 6N tournement.

And YOU might want to look back over your history and consider the fact that a King of French/English descent married the daughter of one of the Kings of France following Agincourt. A battle that was won by WELSH archers standing side by side next to ENGLISH troops fighting under the banner of the English.
You might also want to consider the Welsh lords/tribal leaders that sold the soul of their people to an English King...see Edward The First onwards.
You might want to consider that it was a Frenchman, William the Conquerer of the English that set the Marcher lords in place to keep the unruly Welsh in place.
You might want to consider the fact that the English were conquered first. By a Frenchman. You might also want to get your facts straight when you say the Welsh hate the English. By and large they don't. South Wales is hated by West Wales AND North Wales for selling out to commerce. For not helping out with the commerce and infrastructure in those two areas.
And for such a patriotic Welsh person you aren't doing bad by wanting to be a New Yorker.

And before you get on your high horse about yet another arrogant English woman, let me explain. My grandfather was French...his father left France in 1895 with my great-grandparents because they didn't like the way France was being run.
They settled in London for a while and them moved to Glasgow because of his metalworking skills. My Grandfather grew up as a Scotsman but never forgot his French heritage. Then as he grew and met then married my Scottish Grandmother - a member of the McIntyre Clan, he embraced all that Scotland could offer him and his young family.
My mother met and married my father, and Englishman in the Navy and bought up four children with the help of other Navy wives based in Portsmouth, England.
I was born in Scotland. I went back there three times a year when my family moved to England.
England gave me the life I have now and for the past ten years I have lived in Wales with my husband.
My son can play rugby for Wales by residency, for England by birth, for Scotland due to his family ties and also for France.
I would suggest to you that I am British. As are you. And if you wish to become a New Yorker, embrace all that the US can offer you but shut up and hand in your BRITISH passport as it ill becomes my country to have ambassadors like you in the States.
And just for good measure, I have personal friends in New York, Biloxi and San Diego. They adore the British.

You should think before you speak online as a Google search looking for the English/Welsh language debate returned your thread.

Old 11-22-2009, 08:14 AM

21,516 posts, read 30,922,140 times
In fairness to Americans, how much do the Welsh know about Connecticut, a state with approximately the same population?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.