Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 07:00 AM

10,194 posts, read 17,735,000 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaketaustinluver View Post
well i live in the suburbs, and its NOTHING like tht. everyone keeps their house messy. and no one cares. the neighbors are either old people, indians, or the mexicans next door. (not being racist, there ia just a lot or diversity here). also, its not the perfect place to live.
The suburbs I'm from are not like that - Bucks County, PA. I wouldn't say they're "perfect suburbs" but everyone keeps their lawns and the exteriors of their homes well groomed (most pay for professional landscaping). A lot of people keep the interiors of their homes looking like show-homes too but it depends on the family. There are young families, families with teens, empty nesters, etc. Not very diverse - I went to a high school of about 900 kids per year and there was like 3 black kids. Not saying that's a positive or negative, just the way it is. Also a high population of Jewish families. Some neighborhoods have big, new houses but some neighborhoods are older. Some people in the newer communities seem to play "keeping up with the Jones'" and many have expensive cars. Again, I'm not saying any of this is necessarily good or bad, just the way it is.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 07:17 AM

1,988 posts, read 7,117,597 times
I know what you mean. Orlando has inner ring and low income suburban areas like Pine Hills, Ocoee, parts of Altamonte Springs, Kissimmee, etc that are exactly as you explain.

The city has some beautiful manicured suburbs as well like parts of Clermont, Lake Mary, Celebration, Lake Nona (officially a neighborhood of Orlando but it is very suburban in nature), Oviedo, Windermere.

Old 10-12-2009, 07:30 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,376,882 times
Sounds like you live in one of those duplexed, to many cars and few live in home owner suburban areas. Where ghetto and suburbia combine. Don't live there.

Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 PM

410 posts, read 629,507 times
In my area:
Winnetka, Glencoe, Kenilworth, Hinsdale, IL: in most parts always seemed to portray that kinda suburb you see in Modern Family or Desperate Housewives. Wealthy, clean, idyllic suburbs. Albeit with a dose of snobbery, but fills that stereotypical tv show look.
Mt. Prospect, Tinley Park, Niles (Palatine???), IL: Always came across as the stereotypical middle class suburb where most families would move to and go to parks, eat dairy queen, and ride bikes with the kids.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:12 AM

14,727 posts, read 33,247,071 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
Mountain Brook, AL (Birmingham suburb).
I had heard "Dunwoody Housewife" (ATL suburb, for those not familiar) before the "Housewives of (insert place)" series came into being.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:16 AM

7,237 posts, read 12,688,085 times
The suburbs that have the smalll town type of charm to them (are densely built and walkable, and not sprawly) are the best, IMO.

Old 04-26-2012, 09:18 AM

1,219 posts, read 1,746,783 times
In my area, Im only familiar with a few towns that are "typical suburbia" to me: Morristown, NJ
Garden City, NY
Scarsdale, NY
Milburn, NJ
Rockville Centre, NY
Rye, NY
Greenwich, CT
Darien, CT
Northport, NY
New Providence, NJ
Whenever I have visited these towns, I get a "John Hughes" feel about them, which to me is typical American suburbia.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.