Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-25-2009, 01:46 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,249,448 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by skinem View Post
....,.,'":;<. Here's some extra punctuation for you to use next time--in case you'd run out.

I think the word "scared" that the OP used is a little strong. "Prefer" might be more accurate.

I guess the question could be flipped, as some have suggested...why are so many Northerners scared of heat and humidity? It's what you're used to or what you like...that's all.
I don't think Northerners are necessarily scared of Heat & Humidity as they have to deal with it too. I guess its just the individual, there's a lot of Southerners who hate heat (and love cold) and a lot of Northerners who hate cold (and love heat).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2009, 02:01 PM

4,923 posts, read 11,144,155 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I don't think Northerners are necessarily scared of Heat & Humidity as they have to deal with it too. I guess its just the individual, there's a lot of Southerners who hate heat (and love cold) and a lot of Northerners who hate cold (and love heat).
Exactly...the point I was trying clumsily to make.

Old 10-25-2009, 02:04 PM

7 posts, read 11,710 times
people whom live in warm places don't like coldness.that is a biological truth because their body get used to be warm of course they are not wanna go cold places

Old 10-25-2009, 02:49 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,508,741 times
I am not scared of the cold but I don't really like it.Snow is ok for about a dat or two but then its just a sloppy mess;IMO.

Old 10-25-2009, 08:16 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,389,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baranekbari View Post
people whom live in warm places don't like coldness.that is a biological truth because their body get used to be warm of course they are not wanna go cold places
this has probably been said already but yes... you have to get acclimated, if somebody just moves to a place having lived somewhere else all their lives and the temps are drastically different, it takes a long time to get used to it.

Besides improving your ability to perform at a high level in the heat, heat acclimation also starves off serious health risks when you are exposed to the heat. Not being heat acclimated exposes you to several risks including muscle cramps, feeling faint, inability to coordinate muscular movements, headache, nausea, vomiting, dizziness, hyperthermia, shortness of breath and overall general fatigue.

Also...
Just from an athletic standpoint...

Those who are fitter and have a higher VO2 max are able to tolerate the heat more easily than those who are not aerobically trained. Individuals with higher VO2 max tend to gain the benefits from heat acclimation quicker than those with lower aerobic fitness levels. As far as heat tolerance and heat acclimation, younger or older individuals do not have any reduced ability to heat acclimate as long as the individual is in shape.

Acclimation will only occur when the core body temperature is elevated with moderate to profuse sweat rates – so expect to be in an environment of +100F with 30% humidity.

Also short and stout people or with greater body fat will do better in cold (or worse in heat), whereas taller lankier people or less body fat will do worse in cold (or better in heat)

I'm tall skinny and grew up in FL... so, I get cold really easily, esp my hands, feet, nose, ears, if not covered.

Old 10-25-2009, 11:38 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,455,820 times
One thing "back home" I guess we were a bit "scared" of the cold in a way because cold could mean ice and the mountain roads weren't great back then. Although "scared" would maybe be overstating it. If anything my family liked not being able to go out as we'd get off school, pop popcorn, and do things as a family. Still when we came North I guess this could have been seen as "scared" of the cold as we initially thought any snow meant there was no school.

Old 10-26-2009, 12:24 AM

4,670 posts, read 5,059,857 times
The only places that don't average a temp below 40 at any time during the year are Florida, coastal California, the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, and the Atlantic coasts of Georgia and South Carolina. No part of the south is close to the Northeast, Midwest, or Mountain regions in terms of high, low, and average temps, but the low temps of the inland south, at least on average, are in the 30s or colder overnight in a large region of the south.

Here is the south:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Census_Regions_and_Divisions.PNG
http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/min32.html (broken link)

Average Low From December through February [days with min. temp below 32 or colder]
Atlanta- 35 F [51]
Nashville- 30 F [76]
Dallas- 39 F [39]
Little Rock- 33 F [59]
Lubbock,TX- 26 F [93]
Birmingham, AL- 34 [56]
Waco, TX- 36 F [34]
Jackson, MS- 37 F [49]
Charlotte- 34 F [64]
Richmond- 29 F [85]
Shreveport- 38 F [36]
Louisville- 28 F [88]

Some of these cities have more days with min temp below 32 or colder than NYC, Newark, and Atlantic City.

Last edited by dude1984; 10-26-2009 at 12:35 AM..

Old 10-26-2009, 06:42 AM

72,805 posts, read 62,121,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbclown View Post
I Hate The Cold!!!!!!!!!!

I love the heat! I HATE the cold!!! I tried the cold thing, moving from S.Fl to MA. WAY TOO COLD!!!! Even some of the summer were only in the 60's-BRRRRRRRR!

I'll stick w/ my FL weather. The hotter and more humid the better! I love the summers! Anything under 60 is just too cold!!!! I was born in FL and I hate using A/C so it's used sparingly. I'm by the water and get a nice breeze. (it's in the 80's and the windows are open).
I guess you and I are two totally different people. I am extremely miserable in hot, humid weather. Weather in which I have to shower three times a day just to stay clean, and considering my only method of transportation is a bicycle, there have been times where I get sick in the heat. Whenever it gets cold, I don't feel those effects. I look at it this way: At least if it gets cold, you can put on more layers. When it gets hot and humid, there is nothing you can do. In order to keep cool, you must be near air conditioning.

Old 10-26-2009, 11:13 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,051,281 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
The only places that don't average a temp below 40 at any time during the year are Florida, coastal California, the coast of the Gulf of Mexico, and the Atlantic coasts of Georgia and South Carolina. No part of the south is close to the Northeast, Midwest, or Mountain regions in terms of high, low, and average temps, but the low temps of the inland south, at least on average, are in the 30s or colder overnight in a large region of the south.

Here is the south:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Census_Regions_and_Divisions.PNG
National - Mean Number Days 32 Degrees F or Less (http://www.met.utah.edu/jhorel/html/wx/climate/min32.html - broken link)

Average Low From December through February [days with min. temp below 32 or colder]
Atlanta- 35 F [51]
Nashville- 30 F [76]
Dallas- 39 F [39]
Little Rock- 33 F [59]
Lubbock,TX- 26 F [93]
Birmingham, AL- 34 [56]
Waco, TX- 36 F [34]
Jackson, MS- 37 F [49]
Charlotte- 34 F [64]
Richmond- 29 F [85]
Shreveport- 38 F [36]
Louisville- 28 F [88]

Some of these cities have more days with min temp below 32 or colder than NYC, Newark, and Atlantic City.
Also places like Waco, Dallas, and Lubbock get snow. Dallas and I think Lubbock get it like once or twice a year.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GdBFD...eature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JP3n4...eature=related

People on here have a hard time understanding that cold is nothing unusual for us. It's excessive amounts of it that drive us crazy.

Old 10-26-2009, 01:04 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,213,263 times
30s isn't cold.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.