Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2009, 09:49 AM

8,276 posts, read 11,837,014 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i'm from ny, and i'm telling you, anything below like 55 or so is cold. cold is cold. none of this, i'ma be a tough man and lie through my teeth (or in this case my fingers). if i can't be out in a short sleeve shirt then its cold. if i have to put a jacket on or a hoodie then its cold.

of course there are differences in cold weather. obviously 50 degrees and 20 degrees feel different. but cold is cold. if it isn't hot (80's+) or warm (70's) or "cool" (60's) then it is cold to me. period.

if the hi or low is 30, its cold. thats a coat + scarf weather. period.
Wearing a coat when it's 30? Fine, but it doesn't have to be anything heavy; a scarf? not a chance..completely unnecessary.

I realize that weather is relative, but there is nothing extraordinary about 30 degrees.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:09 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Wearing a coat when it's 30? Fine, but it doesn't have to be anything heavy; a scarf? not a chance..completely unnecessary.

I realize that weather is relative, but there is nothing extraordinary about 30 degrees.
This isn't a matter of opinion. 30 is cold and it's below freezing. This like me saying "Oh 90 isn't hot!". It's hot whether I say it or not.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:13 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,534,256 times
Quote:

It gets below 60 and I'm wearing a big jacket with scarf and hat.

I don't do 'cold', snow, slush, below freezing etc etc. Where I live it rarely gets below 50. Give me mid 70s all year round

Old 10-28-2009, 10:40 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,257,206 times
I wear shorts until it hits mid 30s and only a light jacket.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:06 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,545,766 times
Quote:
Wearing a coat when it's 30? Fine, but I don't wear anything heavy; a scarf? not a chance..completely unnecessary for me..

I realize that weather is relative, but there is nothing extraordinary about 30 degrees to me.
Fixed that for ya.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:27 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,313,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eek View Post
i'm from ny, and i'm telling you, anything below like 55 or so is cold. cold is cold. none of this, i'ma be a tough man and lie through my teeth (or in this case my fingers). if i can't be out in a short sleeve shirt then its cold. if i have to put a jacket on or a hoodie then its cold.

of course there are differences in cold weather. obviously 50 degrees and 20 degrees feel different. but cold is cold. if it isn't hot (80's+) or warm (70's) or "cool" (60's) then it is cold to me. period.

if the hi or low is 30, its cold. thats a coat + scarf weather. period.
I kind of agree with this post…

Having lived in the Tri-State area… I think because you have a fairly long warm /hot humid summer from May to mid October, when the high temps are from 60 to 90 F…when it falls to even 48 F I’m freezing cold (and likely headed to South Carolina or better yet Florida). A temp of 30 F is just way too cold for me. I give those folks credit up in the Dakotas or Minnosoata credit when they endure –30 F. I guess I’m a wimp (lol).

I think folks who live where they have coolish summers like Maine, Michigan, the Pacific Northwest…etc can handle the cool weather much better. In the Tri-State area summers are hot, and while winters are not so cold (compared to other areas)…a temp of 30 F feels freezing when it was a humid 88 F just 6 weeks ago. JMO

Old 10-28-2009, 01:29 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,212,746 times
30 is cool, not cold.

20 and under is when the big stuff comes into play.

Doube layering and such.

Old 10-28-2009, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
30 is cool, not cold.

20 and under is when the big stuff comes into play.

Doube layering and such.
30 is not cool; it's cold. It's below freezing. 60 is cool.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:15 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,846,562 times
Default That 30-degree issue . . .

30 degrees? My experience has been that how cold this kind of temperature feels depends very much on what I'm doing. Even a little bit of physical exertion can keep me feeling pretty warm. I'll go out for a long walk in just a medium-weight jacket and gloves, and feel comfortable with temperatures in the teens, as long as there is no wind. I can feel pretty warm without a jacket or gloves in temperatures in the teens and 20's, if I'm doing physically heavy work like shoveling snow. Even zero and a bit below is not so bad in medium clothing if I'm just taking a a quick walk around the corner to the store. And I would not bother with outer clothing at all to go out and get the mail, no matter how cold it might be outside.

On the other hand, I remember as a kid going to the high school football team's last game of the season against their big rival, in late November (and I've gone a few times as an adult), and freezing. Just sitting there in the bleachers, not moving, not generating any heat, you find out that it does not have to be Arctic cold to cut right into you. I agree with MassVt that 30 degrees is not "extraordinary" unless you live in a very warm climate, but spend some time outside in that kind of temperature when you're not moving around and generating much heat, and it's cold!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
30 degrees? My experience has been that how cold this kind of temperature feels depends very much on what I'm doing. Even a little bit of physical exertion can keep me feeling pretty warm. I'll go out for a long walk in just a medium-weight jacket and gloves, and feel comfortable with temperatures in the teens, as long as there is no wind. I can feel pretty warm without a jacket or gloves in temperatures in the teens and 20's, if I'm doing physically heavy work like shoveling snow. Even zero and a bit below is not so bad in medium clothing if I'm just taking a a quick walk around the corner to the store. And I would not bother with outer clothing at all to go out and get the mail, no matter how cold it might be outside.

On the other hand, I remember as a kid going to the high school football team's last game of the season against their big rival, in late November (and I've gone a few times as an adult), and freezing. Just sitting there in the bleachers, not moving, not generating any heat, you find out that it does not have to be Arctic cold to cut right into you. I agree with MassVt that 30 degrees is not "extraordinary" unless you live in a very warm climate, but spend some time outside in that kind of temperature when you're not moving around and generating much heat, and it's cold!
In my experience; it's almost rare to have it drop down into the 20s and 30s and not have any wind in Texas (at least the central Texas area). They are like the windiest days. That weather is actually tolerable to me without wind, but the wind is what makes it freezing. Also, freezing rain is just topping on the cake.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.