Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2012, 08:34 PM

4,422 posts, read 6,213,554 times

Advertisements

As a nothern transplant living here in San Antonio, I have not experienced cold since I moved here six years ago. Therefore, the most profound analysis of the original question is....because it sucks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-26-2012, 04:20 PM

210 posts, read 249,886 times
Southerner here. Born and raised, and most folks I know love the snow and can't wait for it.

As for the cold question, it's pretty obvious why. We are used to and comfortable in hot weather. I could very well ask you why northerners are scared of the hot? Neither is scared of either. We southerners just prefer heat. I'll take 100 degrees over 20 any day of the week. 100 is just more comfortable to me.

Old 03-26-2012, 06:21 PM

7,885 posts, read 11,320,459 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles09 View Post
they constantly complain about the winter and say the weather is bad if it's cold or if it snows....lol, what do they expect? to be summer forever? I personally prefer to experience 4 seasons like in the East Coast. The cold is what keeps me awake and alert but too much of it would be annoying, same for summer.
Who says we are afraid of it, smart enough to not live in if you dont have to is my take. Now why is northerners are afraid of the heat?

Old 03-27-2012, 09:14 AM

3,804 posts, read 6,142,520 times
I love the cold. I can't stand the heat. The weather in the South is pretty miserable for about 10 months a year. Really the awful weather is the only bad thing about living here.

Old 03-27-2012, 02:50 PM

14,256 posts, read 26,806,589 times
Southerners aren't scared of the cold. Plenty of areas of the South dip below 30 at least once annually.

Old 03-27-2012, 03:39 PM

12 posts, read 37,068 times
Why are Northerners scared of the Heat?

Old 03-27-2012, 04:05 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
As a nothern transplant living here in San Antonio, I have not experienced cold since I moved here six years ago. Therefore, the most profound analysis of the original question is....because it sucks.
They are afraid of the cold because "it sucks"? That makes a lot of sense...

Old 03-27-2012, 04:19 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherbet View Post
Why are Northerners scared of the Heat?
Because it sucks!!

We get heat, but the South really doesn't get cold very often. Everyone has their definition of "hot" and "cold", but lemme just call "hot" over 90 degrees with humidity (over 95 without), and "cold" under 32 degrees.

It gets "hot" in most Northern cities at least 15-25 times a year during the middle of the day (when people are up, outside, and active). It gets over 85 degrees (what I consider uncomfortably warm) well over 40-50 times a year (even in the colder states like MN, WI, or MI). It also gets uncomfortably hot (heat index over 105) at least 5 times a year in most Northern locales. In the winter, it gets "cold" at least 100 times a year, and under 20 (what I consider to be uncomfortably cold) up to 50+ times a year in some of those same states.

In the South, it gets "hot" well over 100 times a year in most states, and uncomfortably hot (over 105 heat index) at least 20-30 times a year in most places. It only gets "cold" up to 5 times a year for a daytime high (and that's pushing it), and it just about NEVER gets what I consider to be uncomfortably (or dangerously) cold, below 20 degrees for a high. Again, when it's 3 in the morning, most people are not affected by the weather, so I consider daytime temps to be most notable.

So to me, both regions have extremes and both regions see a diversity of temperatures and weather, but the North has more extreme swings in temperature. Furthermore, there is a limit to how hot a place can get for the most part, and generally speaking temps really don't breach 100-105 degrees in most non-desert climates. On the other hand, there seems to be almost no limit to how cold temperatures can get, and I've experienced temps SO FAR below the "cold" threshold that it completely makes that definition or criteria useless! When it's -5 degrees FOR A HIGH TEMP in Minneapolis or Chicago, and -25 for a low, and a fierce 20 mph wind that makes wind chills below -50 degrees, our definition of "cold" changes and it becomes hard to compare "Northern cold" to "Southern (or Average)" cold. In other words, it DOES get about as hot in the North as it does in the South (just not nearly as often), but it NEVER gets as cold in the South as it does in the North.

For this reason, I think Northerners are more hardy and Southerners need to not complain about the "cold" pretty much ever.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:17 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,943,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenewtexan View Post
I personally love cold and snow. I like how a 50 degree day in March feels like shorts weather. I like the greening out in April and the orange and reds in fall. I like sparkling snow on a sunny day before Christmas. I like carving pumpkins just before Halloween. This stuff just doesn't happen in a place that is warm all the time. You learn to appreciate your weather so much more in the North.

Old 03-27-2012, 06:19 PM

16,345 posts, read 17,943,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by polo89 View Post
Southerners aren't scared of the cold. Plenty of areas of the South dip below 30 at least once annually.
30 isn't cold and if you think it is, you're definitely from the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.