Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 10:41 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I don’t think there’s any reason to describe those from the North as more hardy. I live in the Boston area, and hear plenty of complaints about both heat and cold. Hot weather or cold, it’s a matter of tolerating unpleasant weather because that’s what it happens to be like in the place where you happen to live. It’s a question of what you get used to, not some innately superior tolerance for extremes of weather. I think Sherbet’s earlier observation that Southerners are “afraid” of the cold for the same reason Northerners are “afraid” of the heat pretty well sums it up.

Annie_himself, regarding your observation about the kind of cold you get with high humidity, I agree that this can be uncomfortable. That dank chill really cuts right through you. Those of us up north are not altogether unfamiliar with that discomfort. We get plenty of that kind of weather, only we get it here in March and April instead of January. You make a good point, though, about the fact that even the deep South, except maybe way down deep into Florida, gets some chilly weather, sometimes even truly cold weather. I’ve met people up this way who seem to have the misconception that the entire South is toasty all year—like a guy I used to work with who thought that average highs in Norfolk (that’s Norfolk, VA) were in the 80’s in January. Not quite. You make a good point, that Southerners do know something of what winter is about. And you’re probably right that average winter days in much of the North aren’t much colder than cold spells in much of the South.
I can't speak for you guys.....you NE'sters DO complain more than anyone in the country, no matter the weather! Mostly Midwesterners are "hardy".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2012, 10:44 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,820,974 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by annie_himself View Post
Our coldest days are more like humid 20, not 40, and everyday temps up there are not -10. Read what I typed.
Never said "every day"....it's STILL not a close comparison. Live it or experience it before you talk about it.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:29 PM

1,299 posts, read 2,760,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Yeah...that's nothing on severe cold, sorry. Suck it up, dixie!
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Never said "every day"....it's STILL not a close comparison. Live it or experience it before you talk about it.
Take your own advice!

And don't call me dixie...I'm from Colorado

Old 04-02-2012, 12:04 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,672,878 times
I'll take zero degrees over 100 degrees any day. And I'll take 30 degrees over 80.

Old 04-02-2012, 10:15 AM

7,053 posts, read 19,207,961 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamplight View Post
I'll take zero degrees over 100 degrees any day. And I'll take 30 degrees over 80.
Agree 100%

Old 04-02-2012, 10:38 AM

2,122 posts, read 3,656,809 times
I'll take 100 degrees and 70% humidity over 40 degrees. I'm not afraid of the cold but I am a lot more comfortable sweating my ass off than I am freezing.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:00 AM

2 posts, read 2,347 times
I've lived in Texas all my life & never liked the heat but now summer starts in the beginning of March & it's now April 2nd & it's already 90. I love the cold, & after the worst summer ever last year, I'm ready to move up north! I'm scared of the heat not the cold. You can always bundle up & sit in front of a fire. My pool gets as warm as bath water in August. Not exactly refreshing. Whenever you walk outside from May until November, the heat suffocates you & there is literally no oxygen in the air. You could die because of it & yes, THAT's scary!!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:09 AM

2 posts, read 2,347 times
For one thing, you've been watching too much TV. I prefer cool weather, I'm a vegan who's slender & in excellent shape, I was educated in the best school system in Dallas, I'm in no way lost & couldn't care less about the Civil War, I've never flown a flag, & I've been in Texas all my life. I do dislike & avoid bigots & uneducated, negative, & judgemental people.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:11 AM

9,726 posts, read 16,672,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by peacefreak View Post
I'm scared of the heat not the cold.
Same here. By the time I moved away from the Southeast, when summer was creeping in I'd experience a feeling of dread, even fear, of what was coming. And it's no wonder, knowing the next 5-6 months of my life were going to be a guaranteed hell and there was nothing I could do to stop it. Only last summer, I did stop it by leaving that wretched place.

Old 04-02-2012, 11:44 AM

518 posts, read 445,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ogre View Post
I don’t think there’s any reason to describe those from the North as more hardy. I live in the Boston area, and hear plenty of complaints about both heat and cold. Hot weather or cold, it’s a matter of tolerating unpleasant weather because that’s what it happens to be like in the place where you happen to live. It’s a question of what you get used to, not some innately superior tolerance for extremes of weather. I think Sherbet’s earlier observation that Southerners are “afraid” of the cold for the same reason Northerners are “afraid” of the heat pretty well sums it up.

Annie_himself, regarding your observation about the kind of cold you get with high humidity, I agree that this can be uncomfortable. That dank chill really cuts right through you. Those of us up north are not altogether unfamiliar with that discomfort. We get plenty of that kind of weather, only we get it here in March and April instead of January. You make a good point, though, about the fact that even the deep South, except maybe way down deep into Florida, gets some chilly weather, sometimes even truly cold weather. I’ve met people up this way who seem to have the misconception that the entire South is toasty all year—like a guy I used to work with who thought that average highs in Norfolk (that’s Norfolk, VA) were in the 80’s in January. Not quite. You make a good point, that Southerners do know something of what winter is about. And you’re probably right that average winter days in much of the North aren’t much colder than cold spells in much of the South.

I grew up in Alabama only about 120 miles (crow's flight) inland north of the Gulf of Mexico. I've also lived in one of the coldest locations annually in Colorado (Gunnison) and can attest to dry cold vs. high humidity cold. Despite growing up relatively deep in the Deep South, it was extremely rare to have winters where we failed to go below freezing AT LEAST 20 or 30 times a winter. In fact, it was extremely rare that we didn't go down into the teens for lows at least 4 or more times for lows and we usually had a day or 2 each winter where the highs struggled to go above freezing. During the major cold outbreaks of Dec 1983, January 1985, and Dec 1989 we got into the low single digits with highs in the 20s even only 100 miles north of Mobile. As for snow the conditions have to come together almost perfectly to get measurable snow but despite that I remember MANY 2 and 3 inch snows, a major ice storm, and one amazing blizzard (Superstorm March 1993) growing up in West Central Alabama.

My dad has some hunting buddies from Grand Junction, CO and from the Boston area who come down to our hunting camp in West Central Alabama each January and even they remark how uncomfortable it is when it gets below 40 there. They say 40 degrees at our hunting camp feels like 25 to 30 degrees back home in Colorado.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.