Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 05:59 PM

43,854 posts, read 50,875,005 times

Advertisements

My idea of winter wear is a sweater and a pair of hose under my pants.
Anything more than that is just too much clothes for me.

Of course this silly heat wave we are having in October (105 degrees with the heat index) isn't all that much fun either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 06:26 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,981,352 times
I'm in the south. Bring on the cold. I hate the heat.

I really should move somewhere colder..

Old 10-11-2009, 06:28 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post

How about further north in the South? There are plenty of cold areas with snowy winters.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:36 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,981,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
How about further north in the South? There are plenty of cold areas with snowy winters.
I'm almost as far north as I can go without getting into northern territory! Not that there is anything wrong with the north. I just don't know where I would relocate.

Old 10-11-2009, 06:50 PM

3,982 posts, read 10,427,439 times
I cant stand being cold.

Even in Florida I get cold during the winter.

Ugh!

Old 10-11-2009, 07:09 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times
Default They just might be

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Not in my part of the South. Unless they are recent transplants from South Florida.
although most halfbacks go to Tn. or NC.

Old 10-11-2009, 07:15 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,247,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
same reason northerners don't like heat.
It's just what people are used to. High temp and even higher humidity doesn't bother me at all but the minute the temp drops below 65 F I can't function.
This Northerner loves heat lol.

High temps with humidity don't bother me at all (I like when its hot), I also get cold when it goes below 65F-70F and I also can't function properly because I'm trying to stay warm, 65F-70F in full sun with no wind is fine though.

I feel miserable in Winter, some days are warm enough for me like when we jump into the 60's and 70's for a few days.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:05 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,439,276 times
Quote:

I feel the same way; but the humidity is the killer. I live in Florida now; but the first 33 years of my life were lived in Pennsylvania.

I've been outdoors in -17 degrees and wind chills in the -40's...BRRRR! However, after living in Florida for years, I now notice it does feel cold below sixty or so....your body adjusts to the climate you are in.

All that said, I'll take 4 seasons and the cold...it is so hot/humid here most of the year, that you cannot enjoy outdoor activities.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:06 PM

18,929 posts, read 43,234,041 times
Quote:

Yeah, I have lived in south Alabama all of my life and by July I'm tired of the heat and ready for fall. Our winters here are actually quiet nice though, 50's-70's during the day and 20's-40's at night, very refreshing. I could stay outside all day long on a sunny December day.

Old 10-12-2009, 12:03 AM

542 posts, read 985,158 times
I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Staunton specifically, and the other day leaving for work it was 37 degrees. It warmed up to about 70 for a high. I love the cooler weather and hate being hot and sticky, unless it's with a hot girl!

VA is far enough north to experience what I call even seasons. Just as you're tired of one the next one is just starting. I also hate bugs, especially mosquitos! And I love the snow. All reasons I prefer colder weather. Most people here will say they hate cooler weather, but it's amazing that as soon as fall rolls around, it automatically becomes everyone's favorite season. Actually many people here don't like the summer heat much either, they pretty much only like summer for 4th of July stuff and vacations and it gives us an excuse to head to the beach. Most people here prefer the off seasons of spring and fall, but honestly, who doesn't?

As someone else said the south is not monolithic. Though historically southern, I feel VA is more mid-atlantic now and especially geographically. Our climate is completely different from Alabama or Georgia, even North Carolina to an extent. But to simply answer the question, people in the upper south do not fear the cold since we get it every year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.