Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2009, 01:10 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,452,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
I'm almost as far north as I can go without getting into northern territory! Not that there is anything wrong with the north. I just don't know where I would relocate.
Maybe you could just try higher elevation in the South. There might to be some mountainous parts of Virginia or Kentucky that get fairly cool. Roanoake, Virginia and Lexington, Kentucky seem fairly average for the US but not cooler than average. They both do get roughly average amounts of snow. Hmm.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2009, 01:42 AM

2,242 posts, read 6,212,746 times
My highest temps was probably like 107 w/ heat index humidity.

And about -40 something with the windchill.

HEat gives me headaches.
I would take the cold.

Even though both of those extremes are as rare as each other and don't come along too often.

Old 10-12-2009, 01:54 AM

3,643 posts, read 10,692,146 times
I believe we have 4 seasons in TN. Our winter isn't as cold, but it's still winter. Just like your summer isn't as hot as ours, but you still have one. A lot of people I talk to here think that Fall & Winter are the best seasons. Summer is just too hot. So if anything, people around here are scared of the heat.

Old 10-12-2009, 04:07 AM

96 posts, read 242,151 times
Guess I'm opposite of the thread starter. I'm originally a northerner <North Dakota born and raised> who was happy as heck to get outta there and to somewhat warmer temperatures. Missouri even has too cold of a winter to my liking. Its just a matter of preference I guess .

Old 10-12-2009, 08:20 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,949,967 times
I lived in the upper midwest before I moved to South Texas. If winter were just cold, it would be much easier to take. It's the wintertime precipitation that's unbearable.

I prefer the sub-tropical version of winter because I never have to get up before sunrise to shovel sunshine off of my driveway or apply salt to my sidewalk to melt the rain.

Old 10-12-2009, 08:42 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,433,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nebat View Post
I live in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia, Staunton specifically, and the other day leaving for work it was 37 degrees. It warmed up to about 70 for a high. I love the cooler weather and hate being hot and sticky, unless it's with a hot girl!

VA is far enough north to experience what I call even seasons. Just as you're tired of one the next one is just starting. I also hate bugs, especially mosquitos! And I love the snow. All reasons I prefer colder weather. Most people here will say they hate cooler weather, but it's amazing that as soon as fall rolls around, it automatically becomes everyone's favorite season. Actually many people here don't like the summer heat much either, they pretty much only like summer for 4th of July stuff and vacations and it gives us an excuse to head to the beach. Most people here prefer the off seasons of spring and fall, but honestly, who doesn't?

As someone else said the south is not monolithic. Though historically southern, I feel VA is more mid-atlantic now and especially geographically. Our climate is completely different from Alabama or Georgia, even North Carolina to an extent. But to simply answer the question, people in the upper south do not fear the cold since we get it every year.
Very true. I always think of Virginia/DC/Maryland as the classic example of even seasons. When I lived in Massachusetts, some people there thought we had even seasons...give me a break (winters certainly extended beyond the 3 calendar months of winter)

Old 10-12-2009, 08:55 AM

5,643 posts, read 9,598,107 times
Default I am just the opposite

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I feel the same way; but the humidity is the killer. I live in Florida now; but the first 33 years of my life were lived in Pennsylvania.

I've been outdoors in -17 degrees and wind chills in the -40's...BRRRR! However, after living in Florida for years, I now notice it does feel cold below sixty or so....your body adjusts to the climate you are in.

All that said, I'll take 4 seasons and the cold...it is so hot/humid here most of the year, that you cannot enjoy outdoor activities.
When I first moved here, I used to be cold with the AC set at 74. Now, it doesn't bother me and feels nice. Last year at work, I used to volunteer to get the kids breakfast so I could go into the walk in fridge (30s?), in short sleeves, capris, and flip flops. It was lovely in there. I used to stay in there as long as possible. People thought I was crazy. It was 9 degrees last January when I was in NY. I had a down coat on with a wool sweater underneath. I had to take off the sweater because I was sweating.

Maybe I am just weird, but each year I am here my tolerance for heat lessens, and it seems I am able to tolerate cold much more than before.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:14 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,545,766 times
I don't know many people that are scared of the cold.

I do know many people that moved to Florida because they do not like the cold.

What is being scared of the cold called? Freezophobia?

Old 10-12-2009, 10:20 AM

18,928 posts, read 43,234,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
I lived in the upper midwest before I moved to South Texas. If winter were just cold, it would be much easier to take. It's the wintertime precipitation that's unbearable.

I prefer the sub-tropical version of winter because I never have to get up before sunrise to shovel sunshine off of my driveway or apply salt to my sidewalk to melt the rain.
Cars last longer in the south too, no salt to cause rust.

Old 10-12-2009, 10:42 AM

53 posts, read 130,335 times
I don't think it has anything to do with "being scared". If people are used to hot and warm conditions, they probably like that and wouldn't get used to consistently cold climes. It's more a matter of what you adjust to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.