Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2009, 07:37 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
What's amazing to me is that 30 or 40 years ago, winter and cold weather was considered a normal part of the American experience and lifestyle. But today, it's widely considered to be a dreaded, exotic, undue hardship. I can only guess that this change in attitude is because the population in the South and West (warmer climes) has exploded over the last few decades, and we now have many more Americans who (since birth) have known nothing of winter, or even of temperatures that get cooler than 50 degrees.
I suppose this is true, and did not grow up with the "winter" experience...

I wonder how much what you grow up in effects you later in life.

As I said before not ever getting used to the winter temps... It was not like I didn't survive and "tolerate" it...just thought, wow why am I putting up with living in this miserable climate when there are other options.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2009, 07:49 PM

3,068 posts, read 7,980,477 times
For cryin' out loud, I'm not scared of the cold. The problem is I don't have much experience DRIVING in snow or ice (or both). Since it fall infrequently down here, there is no chance of really learning the right way and with the lack of snow removal equipment, most roads are snowed up til it melts. A few years ago Arkansas was hit with a major snow covering the state with a foot or more all the way to the Louisiana border. You couldn't find the roads off of the main highways. This was like in February 2000.

Old 10-13-2009, 07:55 PM

1,130 posts, read 1,534,167 times
Having lived my entire life in the north east, I can take 20 below much better than I can take 90 or more above. You can dress for the cold, but not extreme heat!
I've met southerners that don't mind cold, but they consider 65 cold!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:12 PM

4,420 posts, read 6,236,328 times
It is true that your body adapts to the climate you live in.
Southerners tend to have thinner blood than northerners for this reason.

Old 10-17-2009, 01:36 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,558,872 times
I'm not scared of the heat, but I can't tolerate heat and high humidity. It makes me dizzy and makes me feel like I'm being weighed down by a lead blanket - it just makes me stupid and foggy. I would never be able to survive living in the South, even with air conditioning. So, just as Northerners have a tolerance for cold, Southerners seem to have a tolerance for oppressive heat and humidity.

Old 10-17-2009, 05:20 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
I honestly believe southerners can handle cold more than northerners can handle heat.

Old 10-19-2009, 09:25 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,205,510 times
I'll second what others have said and say that southerners can handle the cold but we just don't like it. I would say the hardest winter of my life was last winter moving up to the DC area in Virginia. I've never been so cold. Some called it a mild winter and I was taken aback. Really it snowed three times! It was below 40 for days if not weeks. So it's all about perspective and I think well...people should respect perspective. If someone is cold when its below 65 so what? Also I think the south does have four seasons. "Winter" for me has nothing to do with snow. To me winter is when it doesn't even reach 65 in the middle of the afternoon. Now that I live "up north" I realize that for some that only describes fall. No one is scared but I will say that this winter I plan to spend a little more money on coats and sweaters so I'm not so cold (I hated sweaters growing up).

Old 10-19-2009, 09:29 AM

6,749 posts, read 21,998,865 times
It really does depend on what you are used to and even that can change season to season. If it is 90 for a long time in the summer and then one day it's 80, I'm going to say it's only 80. If it's 60 for a spell in the fall and then is 80, I am going to think 80 is pretty durn hot! It also depends ALOT on humidity... 90 and no humidity is much easier to take then 90 with 80% humidity. As is wind chill worse then actual temperature.

One thing I noticed this so-called summer is that there was a lack of "heat index" which we alwasy have in the summer and it truly felt like we had no summer this year.

Old 10-19-2009, 10:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,603,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeromeville View Post
What's amazing to me is that 30 or 40 years ago, winter and cold weather was considered a normal part of the American experience and lifestyle.
Americans have been living in the deep south, as well as Florida, for hundreds of years.

Old 10-19-2009, 12:17 PM

1,250 posts, read 4,766,351 times
So its like 55 degrees outside and I must admit, as a southerner, it sucks. Royally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.