Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2009, 09:35 AM

3 posts, read 3,568 times

Advertisements

they constantly complain about the winter and say the weather is bad if it's cold or if it snows....lol, what do they expect? to be summer forever? I personally prefer to experience 4 seasons like in the East Coast. The cold is what keeps me awake and alert but too much of it would be annoying, same for summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-11-2009, 09:43 AM

398 posts, read 1,312,707 times
They just aren't used to it. Some of it is mental, some of it is physical. The body really does adjust to varying climates. Some people adjust quicker and more easily than others. For instance, elderly people really have a tough time with the cold temperatures. And some people just have it in their minds to never adjust. To each their own. And it's not just cold either. It's also the elements. I moved from the PNW where life goes on while it rains constantly. Since it rains just every now and then here in Dayton, so many people view the precip as like acid rain or something and have the luxury of canceling all their plans and hiding out inside until it stops. LOL It's a good thing our country is so large and climatically varied - there is enough room for all of us to live where we feel comfortable living.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:45 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,941,177 times
It's acclimation. I was born in the south, and my body has adapted to the environment. Any time I go to someplace with less humidity my skin dries out like a lizard.

Old 10-11-2009, 09:48 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,057,256 times
Exactly, it's all about getting use to where you are, and knowing what works best for you personally.

I don't mind the cold weather at all, but on the flip side I would have a really really really hard time dealing with the summer heat down south. My body just doesn't work that way.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:43 AM

11,327 posts, read 20,247,246 times
Part of it has to do with adaptation, if you're used to 80's/90's for most of the year you'd be good in the North for June/July/August but it would take some time to get used to the WInter temperature.

In my case I was born and raised in the Mid-Atlantic and I'm still not adapted for the Winter weather, I also crave 100's throughout the Summer (which we do get). If its below 30F I avoid going outside, Winter is very miserable for me even though NYC's Winters is nowhere near as cold as Midwestern or New England Winters so a lot has to do with the person as well. This is why I (and my family) want to move badly, I've had 4 seasons my entire life (17 years lol) and its tired now, I'm ready for a Summer that lasts from March to November lol.

Old 10-11-2009, 10:56 AM

6 posts, read 50,141 times
But the thing is in southwestern Virginia, Tennessee, Kentucky it gets pretty cold around that time of year. Last year I was in Jacksonville, I was suprised how cold it was in northern Florida.

Old 10-11-2009, 11:03 AM

228 posts, read 472,546 times
I am definitely not one of those types. I was born and grew up in Southern Mississippi.

We lived in Houston Texas for a few years and then back to Mississippi. At age 20, I moved to Virginia with my ex husband...I loved seeing the seasons change. I even survived the snow and a couple of Blizzards. My divorce brought me back to Mississippi. A few years later, after remarrying...We moved to Arizona. I loved it out there...and we were there for 3 and a half years. After Katrina hit, we came back to Mississippi.

Now...I am over the heat and humidity of ALL year long. This past Winter....there were not a lot of cold days. Now, we are planning a move to Maine after the kids get out of school next May (2010). We are all ready for a change and to actually enjoy each season.
We are already living in a smaller community...shopping about 15-30 minutes away, depending on where you want to shop....so commuting to shop isn't a big deal. Snow...will be new to see most of the year...but hey...that's what we want!

Most people around here love the summer and summer like weather all year long...not me. I like to bundle up and cuddle....hard to cuddle when you are sweating! haha! I think living in Virginia those four years did it for me. To actually witness snow and how beautiful the landscape is when covered with snow.....I can't wait!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:43 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,452,459 times
I agree it's mostly just about what they're used to. However I don't think it's universal. I liked the cold when I was a kid in Arkansas.

Body type also matters. If you are "tall and lanky" your body will, generally speaking, lose heat faster so you will likely prefer warmer. If you're "short and squat", as I am, your body retains a good deal of heat on its own so you likely will prefer cooler. I think the South has a fair rate of obesity, but I don't know its average height. If my theory is correct short overweight Southerners shouldn't complain of the cold so much.

(Off-topic but going by this I would say the Sudanese and Rwandans, by selection or design, are likely "made for warm climate." They tend to be long and lanky in body-type with dark-skin to prevent burning or cancer. However I believe many Sudanese settled in places like Minnesota so who knows.)

Old 10-11-2009, 11:46 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Haven't you seen The Day After Tomorrow? The Cold kills folks...it's SCARY!

Old 10-11-2009, 11:48 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,941,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by timnwin View Post
I am definitely not one of those types. I was born and grew up in Southern Mississippi.

We lived in Houston Texas for a few years and then back to Mississippi. At age 20, I moved to Virginia with my ex husband...I loved seeing the seasons change. I even survived the snow and a couple of Blizzards. My divorce brought me back to Mississippi. A few years later, after remarrying...We moved to Arizona. I loved it out there...and we were there for 3 and a half years. After Katrina hit, we came back to Mississippi.

Now...I am over the heat and humidity of ALL year long. This past Winter....there were not a lot of cold days. Now, we are planning a move to Maine after the kids get out of school next May (2010). We are all ready for a change and to actually enjoy each season.
We are already living in a smaller community...shopping about 15-30 minutes away, depending on where you want to shop....so commuting to shop isn't a big deal. Snow...will be new to see most of the year...but hey...that's what we want!

Most people around here love the summer and summer like weather all year long...not me. I like to bundle up and cuddle....hard to cuddle when you are sweating! haha! I think living in Virginia those four years did it for me. To actually witness snow and how beautiful the landscape is when covered with snow.....I can't wait!
Yes, but what fun is cuddling when you could be sweating?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.