Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should the U.S. require employers to give a minimum certain paid days off/vacation from work for emp
Yes, everybody has the right for paid days off and vacation! 27 58.70%
No, employees should get unpaid days off/vacation 0 0%
No, let each company/employers set their own policy about days off/vacation 19 41.30%
Voters: 46. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:21 PM

1,226 posts, read 3,636,001 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
In absolute terms, Japan gives more money to charity than the US, and when adjusted to represent a percentage of GDP, the US ranks 21 out of the 22 wealthiest nations on earth.

Charity Across the World
"Denmark is top of the table, giving 1.01% of GDP, while the US manages just 0.1%. The United Nations has long established the target of 0.7% GDP for development assistance, although only four countries actually achieve this: Denmark, 1.01%; Norway, 0.91%; the Netherlands, 0.79%; Sweden, 0.7%. Apart from being the least generous nation, the US is highly selective in who receives its aid. Over 50% of its aid budget is spent on middle-income countries in the Middle East, with Israel being the recipient of the largest single share."

Sometimes the truth stings.
And you NEVER hear about what these countries are doing. Just what the US says it is doing.
Less patriotism and more facts and discussions like these would go a loooooong way... It's okay to criticize things in one's country that one doesn't like or think is wrong. If you truly love your country, you will criticize.
Not just sit back and let the country destroy itself just because you don't want to say anything negative about it. That's not patriotism in my book...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
I don't even like the concept of paid vacation.

Pay me a little more for the time that I actually spend AT work, and don't pay me when I'm not there.

I'll save that extra money and use it when I'm on vacation.

Paying people for time that is spent anywhere other than at work is the "gateway drug" to an entitlement mentality.
More facts, again, and discussions would actually lead to something.
Look again at the list of countries and paid vacation.

The countries at the top are all giving the most paid vacation, yet you won't find ANY entitlement mentality in these countries. It's the opposite (especially for the Scandinavian countries on the list). There, it is all about "everyone's equal, so don't think you're anything special or deserve anything that no one else deserves".
(Paid vacation is so that the work force isn't burnt out - which would cost the society a lot more than what is gained through all work, no play - and so that people can LIVE instead of just work. Work to live, instead of live to work.)

The country most renouned for having a population with an "entitlement mentality" is actually the US. And which country is the one not giving any paid vacation by law?
Guess that puts a HUGE whole in the "paid vacation = entitlement theory"...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2009, 12:45 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjacobeclark View Post
Speak for yourself. Most Americans have no idea what type of gov't programs are enjoyed by people in Western Europe. That's probably due to the fact that most Americans never leave the country in their lifetime and believe everything that they're fed by the American news media. You know how we're the greatest country on earth and all that jazz. If Americans knew that France provides weekly nanny service to the parents of newborns or that people in the Netherlands get extra spending money for their already paid-vacations, then I think they would be pretty irritated that we can't even get universal healthcare in this country.
And how much are their taxes? Services are fine IF you are willing to fork over large amounts of tax dollars so the Gov't can do what individuals should be doing themselves, IF they want it. Are the taxes lower for those without children in those Countries? If they are then it would be fair, if not; then why should a single person or couples who make the decision NOT to have kids pay for those services for those who make the choice to have children. National Healthcare: why should a person subsidize those who make poor health choices through higher taxes to pay for those services? I know that is not always the case, but we do have services to cover those individuals who really need it. While not perfect, they are in place and being used. The Gov't can't even run the Medicaid and Medicare programs efficiently, what makes you think those boobs in DC could run a healthcare system for everybody in the Country any better?

What I am trying to say is that there are Countries out there who offer all these things already, if you want them - stay there. Don't move here and expect the US to conform to the standards set by another Gov't. That is all I am saying and have been saying. Those within the US who want these things are one thing, those who move here and ***** that it isn't like where they came from are another story altogether.

Paid holidays are what this thread started out as, but really with as diverse of background of our people, what ones do you pick to make National? Hindi? Jewish? Christian? Islamic? Secular? etc.... It really should be up to the individual Companies to make the decisions on how to spend their money. Honestly, the ones with better benefits are the ones who get the better workers and retain them. If you want to keep trained people, you have to give them some extras or they will leave the minute something better opens up and you are stuck training (and losing money while training) somebody new.

Last edited by Bydand; 10-17-2009 at 01:03 PM..

Old 10-18-2009, 01:18 PM

594 posts, read 1,193,108 times
U.s should only have christian holidays

Old 10-18-2009, 01:45 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,715,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PalmBch View Post
U.s should only have christian holidays
Then it would be criticized about not separating Church and State and/or not being sympathetic to ALL it's residents beliefs. There is no winning for the US no matter what it does. Somebody from someplace else will just P&M about how backwards the US is because it isn't like their home Country. Kind of like you are doing.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:29 PM

888 posts, read 1,585,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post

Paid holidays are what this thread started out as, but really with as diverse of background of our people, what ones do you pick to make National? Hindi? Jewish? Christian? Islamic? Secular? etc.... It really should be up to the individual Companies to make the decisions on how to spend their money.
That's a very good point.

Old 10-18-2009, 02:33 PM

888 posts, read 1,585,292 times
You should see with your own eyes how grown up men, in their 40-50's, turn in to total goddamn crybabies when they find out they can't have their 4 straight weeks of paid vacation EXACTLY when they wan't to have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.