Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 06:00 AM
eek

3,574 posts, read 7,728,847 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post

Also in some cases it's more what they say than how they say it that indicates their state. I think some expressions are used in California that aren't used much elsewhere. So on occasion I can tell if people typing online are Californian even though I obviously don't hear them.
agreed.

things like hella, for example.
Quote:
Originally Posted by punkrocker27ka View Post
perhaps the California pronunciations of "r" is related to the Spanish and Mexican heritage and the large Hispanic population we have? We were a Spanish colony while the East Coast was Dutch and British, etc.
na. i don't think its that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
so does flat speech sound like an accent to people from the South or from the Northeast?
no.

basically, to ppl in the u.s., you aren't going to have an accent...but its ok, because you still have an "american" accent, so if you were to go overseas, ppl would know you were from the u.s. as soon as you spoke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 06:28 AM
j33

4,626 posts, read 14,082,651 times
I don't notice the California accent as much as I notice, say, a Boston accent. However, being from the Great Lakes area with its own accent, I can usually tell when someone is from 'out west' as they have a different way of pronouncing things than the Midwest, South, or Northeast (which, of course, have a myriad of accents within those broad regions).

Old 10-14-2009, 07:04 AM

1,595 posts, read 2,985,997 times
Do Californians have accents?

Sure they do. Just listen to their Governor speak! LOL.

Old 10-14-2009, 11:44 AM

6,613 posts, read 16,573,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
California is big enough I think it likely has more than one accent. The few Southern Californians I've met had a bit of an accent. I'm not sure how to describe said accent though.

Also in some cases it's more what they say than how they say it that indicates their state. I think some expressions are used in California that aren't used much elsewhere. So on occasion I can tell if people typing online are Californian even though I obviously don't hear them.
Not sure I agree with that. I'm not an expert, but I hear a common accent from natives of San Diego, all the way up the coast to Seattle. It's how the letter O is pronounced (think "Snake" on the Simpsons--though his is exaggerated.). Also the short U sound. "tub" is pronounced closer the "teb" than other parts of the country, and "money" is more like "menny" (pronounced "munny", in Upstate NY where I come from, and "mwunny" here in MN where I live now.)

Old 10-14-2009, 11:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventuregurl View Post
I'm from Canada (Toronto) and when I hear people from CA speak, to me they don't sound like they have an accent, they sound the most like Canadians to me (which to me isn't an accent, but I know to everyone else it is ). That's compared to Americans from many other states.
No way! Never heard a Californian say oot and aboot!

Old 10-14-2009, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
Utahns have a very distinct characteristic to their accent (feel becomes fill,
deal becomes dill, etc) There used to be a wikipedia article on it, but it seems to have been deleted.
Ahhhh, thank you! I hear this accent from time to time but never figured out where it came from. Windshield = windshill, sale = sell, e-mail = e-mell, etc...

Old 10-14-2009, 11:52 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,390,321 times
Native Californians, who have Native Californian parents, who are not too citified, have what I call the Southwestern Rural Twang. In other words, Cowboy.

Old 10-14-2009, 12:23 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
Everyone on my father's side of the family are native Californians who all grew up primarily in either the Central Valley, Sierra Nevada, or the Northern or Central Coast(Oroville, Fresno, Portola, Santa Cruz, Arcata, etc). Not one of us sounds like a Southwestern cowboy... There is a slight "Valley" twang, especially from my cousins who grew up in Fresno...And from my younger cousins in the Central Valley there is a serious overuse of the word "hella". Oh, I reckon we're just all "citi-fied" though..

Old 10-14-2009, 12:31 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,321,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Aguilar View Post
At least we (Californians) bother to pronounce them........
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
Exactly thank you!

This is what happens when you don't pronounce your R's......C-A-R gets changed to C-A-H, and P-A-R-K gets changed to P-A-H-K

YouTube - Perfect Boston Accent
Ha, we under-pronounce and y'all over-pronounce. You act like everyone in Massachusetts talks like Peter Griffin.

Lol @ P-A-R-K getting changed to P-A-H-K, most Californians I know would say P-O-R-K. M-A-R-K would be M-O-R-K, etc. so don't even try it.

So don't try and front on us when a lot of y'all are just as bad lol.

I like Californian accents except that Valley Girl nonsense lol.

Old 10-14-2009, 01:37 PM

517 posts, read 1,318,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
Ha, we under-pronounce and y'all over-pronounce. You act like everyone in Massachusetts talks like Peter Griffin.

Lol @ P-A-R-K getting changed to P-A-H-K, most Californians I know would say P-O-R-K. M-A-R-K would be M-O-R-K, etc. so don't even try it.

So don't try and front on us when a lot of y'all are just as bad lol.

I like Californian accents except that Valley Girl nonsense lol.
I am majoring in Communication Studies in college and many of my professors train people how to speak in public and they claim it is always better if you over pronounce. Your audience has a better chance of understanding you.

I live in California and I don't think I have ever heard someone call the Park P-O-R-K or Mark M-O-R-K In California we have the Cot-Caught merger. The sound change causes the vowel in Caught, Talk, and small to be pronounced like the vowel in cot, rock, and doll. However the change does not affect a vowel followed by r. So in California you would never hear a person call a Park P-O-R-K, it would be pronounced correctly. For example Barn and Born remain distinct out here in California. Park and Mark are bad examples because we actually do not change the vowel in those instances.

Last edited by kcee510; 10-14-2009 at 01:54 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.