Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-14-2009, 12:11 PM

379 posts, read 510,009 times

Advertisements

I just got a job in Northern NJ that requires me to come into the office once a week. During the other 4 days, I work from home. Home can be anywhere as long as I'm willing to go to the corporate office once a week. Therefore, I don't want to live anywhere near Northern NJ (where I currently live) because there is no need to pay these high taxes and high home costs. I'm not in any rush to leave here, so I can take my time to find a nearly perfect place.

I'm looking for a town that is within a 150 mile radius from the office. I can handle a 150 mile trip once a week, I did it a few times and I don't mind. Here are the requirements:

1. I want to live in a small, vibrant town and live downtown on a side street. A small, older house is good. Area need not be overly liberal or overly conservative, no extremes.

2. Town must be cheap, if the taxes are high, the cost of living must be low. In NJ, utilities, home cost, taxes, auto insurance, etc are all sky high. Need to be able to live well on a salary of $45k.

3. I like mountains, snow, and lots of trees. Not at all afraid of the cold, I prefer it actually. Own a Jeep 4x4.

4. Prefer a non-diverse town. I'm not racist, I just prefer to live in a mostly white area.

5. I like Upstate NY, Pennsylvania, Connecticut, Massachusetts, or Southern Vermont. Not interested in Maryland, Delaware or NJ.

6. Have a gun and fishing rod- I prefer an area with realisitic gun laws. I don't have a handgun or semi-automatic weapon, so I'm not looking for super liberal Montana-style gun laws, just enough leeway that I won't be harrassed for owning a shotgun. I fish and camp also so good wilderness areas are important.

7. I'd like an educated area, not all doctors and professors or anything, just good people who value education.

Any recommendations?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-14-2009, 01:55 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,728,989 times
Jim Thorpe, PA

Old 10-14-2009, 02:07 PM

6,963 posts, read 20,477,230 times
New Hope, PA
Northhampton, MA
Torrington, CT

Old 10-14-2009, 02:39 PM

5,969 posts, read 9,510,794 times
West Chester PA

http://classictowns.org/west-chester

Old 10-14-2009, 03:43 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,954,607 times
150 miles is a pretty big radius. You can geta relative rural life in Putnam, Dutchess, Ulster, Rockland and Orange County. These are all within a 75 mile radius. All are well educated and all with tolerable gun laws, excellent fishing and hunting.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by john_starks View Post
New Hope, PA
Northhampton, MA
Torrington, CT

Only problem with these areas that I can see is how expensive they are. New Hope and West Chester (on another post), although absolutely gorgeous and well educated, are quite expensive and well on the beaten path. I'd like something a bit cheaper and more out in the wild.

Old 10-14-2009, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
150 miles is a pretty big radius. You can geta relative rural life in Putnam, Dutchess, Ulster, Rockland and Orange County. These are all within a 75 mile radius. All are well educated and all with tolerable gun laws, excellent fishing and hunting.
Looked into Putnam, Dutchess and Orange Counties, but I'm not finding anything too affordable. Ulster possibly. Any idea how Columbia or Saratoga counties are? They must be cheaper that far away from the city. How is the Capital Region in general?

Old 10-14-2009, 07:57 PM

8,568 posts, read 18,045,885 times
Try Delaware County, NY - in fact, check out Hancock. I have a teriffic realtor up there if you'd like her name. DM me and I'll also give you the link to the realtor listing. You could also check out Binghamton. We nearly bought in those areas - but the cold did me in.

Old 10-14-2009, 08:21 PM

5,888 posts, read 12,954,607 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Union Federal View Post
Looked into Putnam, Dutchess and Orange Counties, but I'm not finding anything too affordable. Ulster possibly. Any idea how Columbia or Saratoga counties are? They must be cheaper that far away from the city. How is the Capital Region in general?
Way cheaper in the Capital Region.
Rensselaer and Columbia are also very rural, and about an equal distance to Boston and NYC.

Check out the Kinderhook and Greenbush areas
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.