Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 09:30 PM

25 posts, read 44,270 times

Advertisements

I am 22, currently in NJ, I don't have a car or own place to stay, because I can't afford paying the high insurance and rent costs in this state.. especially with my only part-time job I have, and I work not more than 25 hrs/week.
It really feels bad most of the time.
So I guess I will need info on a city with a pretty reliable public transportation, lower insurance and rent costs than NJ and not too bad job situation.
I was thinking of Portland, OR until I found out that the city was hit hard by the recession..
How about Texas, Colorado, or any other southern/western state ?
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 12:11 AM

29 posts, read 142,230 times
What kind of job are you looking for?

Old 10-15-2009, 08:25 AM

I am looking for basically any type of jobs - hotels, restaurants, sales, doesn't really matter as long as it's not dishwashing or all day bathroom cleaning lol but I guess that is something I might take as well, if I don't have many options ...

Old 10-15-2009, 04:24 PM

12,600 posts, read 9,354,666 times
Before the crisis, I would have said maybe Las Vegas, but now everything is upside down not only here but just about anywhere in the US

Old 10-16-2009, 06:34 AM

26,974 posts, read 43,502,112 times
College towns always outperform the national economy. I'd recommend two that would most fulfill your criteria. The availability of affordable housing, the walkability factor and reliable public transportation are major pluses of college towns also.

Madison, Wisconsin and Boulder, Colorado.

Madison's unemployment rate for August 2009 was 5.6%. One of the lowest in the nation. Living costs are much lower than you're used to and there is always a lot going on thanks to the University of Wisconsin. Madison, Wisconsin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Boulder's unemployment rate for August 2009 was 6.0%, and is also quite low compared to the US average which seems to be hovering around 9.0%. Boulder year in and year out ranks as one of the best places to live in the US based on lifestyle. Besides being the home of the University of Colorado, it's a huge outdoor mecca and is great for those who love hiking, biking, climbing, etc. It's one of the most beautiful settings, surrounded by mountains and within 30 minutes or so of Denver. Boulder, Colorado - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Good luck!

Old 10-16-2009, 09:56 AM

Thanks, Kyle, I will definitely consider Boulder as an option and I'll also start doing a research on most major college towns.
How about Austin, TX ? Does anybody think that might be a good idea too ?

Old 10-16-2009, 12:05 PM

2,812 posts, read 5,607,863 times
Lincoln, NE is also a very affordable place to live with very low unemployment (around 4% or 4.5%, I believe). Rentals for 1 bedroom apartments in luxury complexes start at around $450 per month, but you can get much cheaper than that if you don't need a complex that has a pool, tennis courts, workout facility, etc. It's a town of about 230,000, and has a fair amount of things going on with the University of Nebraska here, but it is a long distance from any real major metro areas, so life here can feel rather dull sometimes. Also there is not much in the way of public transportation- we have our city bus system, but as in most places it's not a very good option, so just like most of the other places mentioned you'd really want to have a car.

Old 10-18-2009, 08:58 AM

9 posts, read 19,159 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Lincoln, NE is also a very affordable place to live with very low unemployment (around 4% or 4.5%, I believe). Rentals for 1 bedroom apartments in luxury complexes start at around $450 per month, but you can get much cheaper than that if you don't need a complex that has a pool, tennis courts, workout facility, etc. It's a town of about 230,000, and has a fair amount of things going on with the University of Nebraska here, but it is a long distance from any real major metro areas, so life here can feel rather dull sometimes. Also there is not much in the way of public transportation- we have our city bus system, but as in most places it's not a very good option, so just like most of the other places mentioned you'd really want to have a car.
I lived there for about 300 a month, with roommates, look on craigslist. I guess they have a good bus system, but I never got used to using it. It is a nice place to live. I just like places that are smaller

Old 10-18-2009, 09:01 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,869,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by salif View Post
Thanks, Kyle, I will definitely consider Boulder as an option and I'll also start doing a research on most major college towns.
How about Austin, TX ? Does anybody think that might be a good idea too ?

Cities in Texas you'll need a car. Their public transportation isn't that good.

Old 10-18-2009, 10:00 AM

7,731 posts, read 14,315,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
Cities in Texas you'll need a car. Their public transportation isn't that good.
Not helpful to the OP at all, and actually inaccurate.

It is entirely possible to live in the central areas of Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston, Austin & San Antonio without a car. All it takes is a little research.

You really shouldn't be dispensing information about Texas to anyone.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.