Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-15-2009, 09:50 AM

141 posts, read 478,545 times

Advertisements

What will be the max population of your city.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-15-2009, 10:38 AM

12,823 posts, read 24,315,746 times
What it is now. Downhill from here.

Old 10-15-2009, 10:43 AM

4,382 posts, read 16,727,484 times
Hopefully right now is the max for my city. Have not in anyway enjoyed the explosion of growth my town has had in the least bit. Brought zero good and permanently scared a once beautiful landscape

Old 10-15-2009, 10:50 AM

3,969 posts, read 13,623,747 times
If the question is how much more population can a city attain, you really have to break it down into two types of cities. There are many large US cities that have maxed out their land area, and can only grow upward and with more density. Other more spread out cities still have plenty of available land, or the ability to change zoning quite easily. Using this as an assumption, my best guesses for large increases in population would be for the first type of city, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, maybe even DC. For the second type of city, the guesses are easier: Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Orlando, maybe Charlotte, Oklahoma City, and I'm probably leaving out some other obvious ones.

Old 10-15-2009, 11:05 AM

3,391 posts, read 8,751,141 times
Somthing else to consider.....as my city continues to grow upwards, it looses population because large family households are replaced by one and two person households.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:28 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,099,398 times
1 million. Anyone over that number, they shoot.

Old 10-15-2009, 04:35 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,269,802 times
IDK, New York City is expected to grow to about 9.2-9.5 million people by 2030.

I don't see Manhattan's population growing significantly as most of it is already built up (unless they demolish brownstones and build more high-rises).

The other boroughs especially Staten Island & Queens may see significant population increases.

I'll be out of here way before this happens, I wouldn't want to live in an "apartment-city" anyways.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:38 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,750,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pw72 View Post
If the question is how much more population can a city attain, you really have to break it down into two types of cities. There are many large US cities that have maxed out their land area, and can only grow upward and with more density. Other more spread out cities still have plenty of available land, or the ability to change zoning quite easily. Using this as an assumption, my best guesses for large increases in population would be for the first type of city, New York, San Francisco, Seattle, Chicago, Los Angeles, Boston, maybe even DC. For the second type of city, the guesses are easier: Phoenix, Dallas, Houston, Atlanta, Orlando, maybe Charlotte, Oklahoma City, and I'm probably leaving out some other obvious ones.
The city limits of Atlanta are not much larger than that of Seattle...and the populations are very nearly the same. Why is it that Seattle only has room to grow up with more density but Atlanta is categorized as "spread out"? I think you are assuming that all southern cities are just alike, when they aren't at all. Orlando is about the same size as Seattle as well, but with a considerably smaller population.

Houston, Phoenix, and OKC are all very large in area (500+ square miles)
Dallas and Charlotte are about half the size of Houston (+-300 square miles)
Atlanta and Orlando are about 1/3 the size of Dallas (+-100 square miles) - Seattle is 84 square miles.

Old 10-15-2009, 05:55 PM

1,107 posts, read 3,062,354 times
Detroit is shrinking. But Detroit sure has the room for growth if it decides to get its act together.
http://cartophilia.com/blog/images2009/detroitsrhinking.jpg (broken link)

Old 10-15-2009, 07:13 PM

3,969 posts, read 13,623,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
The city limits of Atlanta are not much larger than that of Seattle...and the populations are very nearly the same. Why is it that Seattle only has room to grow up with more density but Atlanta is categorized as "spread out"? I think you are assuming that all southern cities are just alike, when they aren't at all. Orlando is about the same size as Seattle as well, but with a considerably smaller population.

Houston, Phoenix, and OKC are all very large in area (500+ square miles)
Dallas and Charlotte are about half the size of Houston (+-300 square miles)
Atlanta and Orlando are about 1/3 the size of Dallas (+-100 square miles) - Seattle is 84 square miles.
That's fair. My visits to Atlanta have been infrequent, but my impression was there was still a lot of open land, but not being extremely familiar with the city limits, thank you for the correction.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.