Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2009, 12:47 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,505,983 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ABQConvict View Post
The media generally holds up white women (models, etc.) as the ideal form of feminine beauty and black males (athletes, etc,) as the ideal of masculine beauty.

Thus I am not surprised that White Woman/Black man is the dominant form of interracial couple.

ABQConvict

Why ?
It's the opposite in Europa ( white man / black woman)

Old 10-17-2009, 12:47 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
Some of this seems new. If you look at the census in 1960 white/black relationships were even or even slightly more likely to be white-man/black-woman. I know in my Dad's generation, in the South, white guys having black mistresses was much less surprising than white women having a black guy. I wouldn't say it was approved of exactly, but the "purity of white women" was more the issue for them. Also a white guy could more easily deny any children produced in such dalliances. Go back to slavery and that's even more true. There actually were slave men who had relations with a female member of the master's family (in one seventeenth century case a black male slave apparently had relations with his male Master, but that's a different thing) but that was way way more discouraged.

Of course the white-guy/black-gal relationships of those days often had a bit of a power-disparity. I imagine many of the white guys who got into them were quite racist, Strom Thurmond was at least somewhat racist when he had his affair with a black woman. I almost wonder if maybe that left a bit of a "tainted image" to that combination at least in some places.

Old 10-17-2009, 12:55 PM

9,961 posts, read 17,512,704 times
I live in Portland, Oregon (itself not exactly a hotbed of diversity) and I have several friends that are couples made up of white males and black females. My best friend and his wife(an example of the afformentioned relationship) just had a beautiful daughter. And as white male myself I've dated black females before.

It's somewhat rare, but it's becoming more common in this day and age as old stigmas about interacial dating fade. NPR had a recent story about this--noting how black men are three times more likely to marry interacially then black women are. ISO Black Women Looking For Interracial Love : NPR

Quote:
so its true that black girls/white american guys couples still don't exist in LA and Usa in general?
No, it's not true

Old 10-17-2009, 01:05 PM

2,346 posts, read 6,924,109 times
This topic is almost too much of a "third rail" to touch, but here's my 2 cents:

The two white man/black woman couples I've known both met in the military. And these were southern good old boys.

The way I size that up - the military life forces people to interact, both on and off duty, with others of all races. That's something that doesn't happen in civilian life for most people. Add in the higher percentage of blacks (especially black women) in the military compared to civilian life. Top it off with the skewed male/female ratio, with guys chasing anything in a skirt, and you get a much higher chance of a WM/BF combo than in the everyday world.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:11 PM

93,168 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deezus View Post
I live in Portland, Oregon (itself not exactly a hotbed of diversity) and I have several friends that are couples made up of white males and black females. My best friend and his wife(an example of the afformentioned relationship) just had a beautiful daughter. And as white male myself I've dated black females before.

It's somewhat rare, but it's becoming more common in this day and age as old stigmas about interacial dating fade. NPR had a recent story about this--noting how black men are three times more likely to marry interacially then black women are. ISO Black Women Looking For Interracial Love : NPR

No, it's not true
Even with that stat, the percentage of Black men that marry "outside of their race" is only something like 8.4%, with only something like 6.6% of Black men being married to a White female. Here's some interesting stats: Black African American Demographics Population

Old 10-17-2009, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big G View Post
This topic is almost too much of a "third rail" to touch, but here's my 2 cents:

The two white man/black woman couples I've known both met in the military. And these were southern good old boys.

The way I size that up - the military life forces people to interact, both on and off duty, with others of all races. That's something that doesn't happen in civilian life for most people. Add in the higher percentage of blacks (especially black women) in the military compared to civilian life. Top it off with the skewed male/female ratio, with guys chasing anything in a skirt, and you get a much higher chance of a WM/BF combo than in the everyday world.
I totally agree, as I saw that in the military too. Then, you have to add the fact that many military guys are stationed overseas. For instance, I know that Black men get a lot of love from the women in Germany. Same with Korea, but that's regardless of race.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Some of this seems new. If you look at the census in 1960 white/black relationships were even or even slightly more likely to be white-man/black-woman. I know in my Dad's generation, in the South, white guys having black mistresses was much less surprising than white women having a black guy. I wouldn't say it was approved of exactly, but the "purity of white women" was more the issue for them. Also a white guy could more easily deny any children produced in such dalliances. Go back to slavery and that's even more true. There actually were slave men who had relations with a female member of the master's family (in one seventeenth century case a black male slave apparently had relations with his male Master, but that's a different thing) but that was way way more discouraged.

Of course the white-guy/black-gal relationships of those days often had a bit of a power-disparity. I imagine many of the white guys who got into them were quite racist, Strom Thurmond was at least somewhat racist when he had his affair with a black woman. I almost wonder if maybe that left a bit of a "tainted image" to that combination at least in some places.
All of this is true, as my parents who are from Mississippi and South Carolina have seen this.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:17 PM

16,431 posts, read 22,189,163 times
Probably the rarest, but I don't know where you would find data to bear it out.

Old 10-17-2009, 04:18 PM

4 posts, read 12,010 times
while i have a friend who is black only dates white men because she says that black arent emotional enough for her but it seem as if her relationships never work but its never the guys its her and her issues that my heart though. see in the south its extremely rare to see more black women and white i think some white are very intimidated by black women or maybe some black women are intimidated because of other people... or history aint it a b****

Old 10-17-2009, 04:26 PM

18 posts, read 41,417 times
black girls/white american guys couples dont exist only in the south but also in every part of Usa cause i live in LA,lived in Ny and DC and i've never seen a bf/wm couple in general, and when i heard of them on the net the white guys involved are always foreign born, never american.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.