Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-11-2010, 12:50 PM

6,836 posts, read 15,330,381 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhadorn View Post
My wife is West Indian, East Indian, and Hispanic. She is from Belize and is classified as a 'Coolie'. Some people make take offense to the term 'Coolie', but in Belize it is not offensive and people take pride in it. There's even a musical group from Punta Gorda called the Coolie Rebels. I am Swiss, German, and Native American.
i never that term was even in Belize or was on offense. But i do know the term has a huge background in Trinidad and Guyana.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2010, 01:01 PM

rare mixes i have seen would be

Haitian/Bangladesh
Haitian/Lebanese
Haitian/most Hispanic countries
Jamaican/Bangladesh

o yea my sisters friend who is Albanian had a Albanian cousin who had a baby with a Haitian man in Brooklyn.

Old 11-11-2010, 01:48 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,569,385 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jordandubreil View Post
i never that term was even in Belize or was on offense. But i do know the term has a huge background in Trinidad and Guyana.
Lots of people in Belize of East Indian descent. They first arrived in Belize in 1858.

"The earliest evidence of the influx of East Indians in Belize seems to be when the British Parliament arranged for the transportation in 1858 of one thousand Indian mutineers with their wives and families, after the suppression of the Indian Mutiny in India. Actually, the first group of East Indians had arrived in the West Indies in 1838 as indentured servants, to fill a gap in the labor force created when the freed slaves left the plantations after the abolition of slavery. Indentured workers were encouraged to come to the Caribbean to work, under a signed contract, for about five years; after which time they were free to return to India, or remain in the Caribbean as laborers on their own terms."

Belize East Indians

Possibly offensive to some and not to others. Based on my travels in Belize, and my wife, it isn't offensive there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coolie

Last edited by jhadorn; 11-11-2010 at 01:57 PM..

Old 11-11-2010, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Lots of people in Belize of East Indian descent. They first arrived in Belize in 1858.

"The earliest evidence of the influx of East Indians in Belize seems to be when the British Parliament arranged for the transportation in 1858 of one thousand Indian mutineers with their wives and families, after the suppression of the Indian Mutiny in India. Actually, the first group of East Indians had arrived in the West Indies in 1838 as indentured servants, to fill a gap in the labor force created when the freed slaves left the plantations after the abolition of slavery. Indentured workers were encouraged to come to the Caribbean to work, under a signed contract, for about five years; after which time they were free to return to India, or remain in the Caribbean as laborers on their own terms."

Belize East Indians

Possibly offensive to some and not to others. Based on my travels in Belize, and my wife, it isn't offensive there.

Coolie - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
na i know i plenty of belizeans have east indian in them. Off coarse since they were being ruled by British. What i meant to say was that i never knew the term "coolie" was popular in Belizean culture.

Old 11-11-2010, 06:19 PM

1,112 posts, read 2,569,385 times
Ah, I see. I'm sure the term isn't as widespread as it is in Trinidad, but it is popular in Belize as a segment of the population, maybe 7-10%, identify themselves as Coolies.

Old 11-12-2010, 01:07 AM

72,797 posts, read 62,098,501 times
Another ethnic mix I have seen. I have a friend who is half Armenian and half Spanish.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:17 PM

Quote:
depending on who you know blasian isn't all that rare. Its common in the Caribbean.
I know a guy who is of Jamaican descent(though born in the USA). He has African, Chinese, and German ancestry. So it's not uncommon to find persons with African and Asian roots.

Old 01-04-2011, 01:18 PM

Quote:
I never knew the term "coolie" used that way. I thought it was a term that was used for Chinese workers.

Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM

3,730 posts, read 5,716,087 times
I'd be interested to know about how the....plumbing....components fit together in some of these marriages.

And how on earth does someone from a group with an IQ in the low eighties form a bond with someone whose group averages over 100? Sounds like a marriage made in Hell, to me. Plus, one of the partners will have to deal with children whose IQs are lower than his/her own. And there's Regression Toward The Mean to be considered: Maybe you marry an atypically smart member of a dumb group, only to find that your children are not the average of your two IQs, but instead are the average between your IQ, and the low IQ of your mate's group as a whole.

I know too many doctors who married pretty (but dumb) girls, and who are completely unable to relate to their feckless offspring. The poor kids have been steered into 'creative' fields, because they're too dumb to go into real professions. Mississippi Magazine's Wedding Issue is always full of quarter-million-dollar weddings, where some gold-digger has latched onto the son of some doctor, and the boy's parents (who apparently are footing the bill for the circus...I mean wedding) are using the occasion to promote the son's pathetic 'launch' into Acting, or Music ("The guests each received a copy of The Groom's band's new CD....").

Me, I'm Native American/Ashkenazic/Sicilian. DH is a Creole mix that includes Native American, Sephardic, Ashkenazic, Neapolitan, Canary Islander, and Cajun. Both of us grew up being persecuted by relatives who did not have the high-IQ admixture (we no longer are in contact with those... But happily, after we'd climbed out of the gutter on our own, we were 'discovered' by the rich/smart sides of our families we hadn't known existed).

I've known too many people who grew up with serious problems, because the dumb sides of their families persecuted/punished/bullied them for behaving like the smart sides of their families, while the smart relatives treated them contemptuously for behaving like the dumb relatives.

Old 01-04-2011, 04:26 PM

351 posts, read 692,217 times
Quote:
Ah, I see. I'm sure the term isn't as widespread as it is in Trinidad, but it is popular in Belize as a segment of the population, maybe 7-10%, identify themselves as Coolies.
The classical meaning is an unskilled labourer from the "East".
It's highly offensive here in Trinidad. Right up there with the N word. It is used as a derogatory word for East indian.
But some islands like Jamaica for eg it is pretty normal to use. And can refer to a person who is mixed with East Indian, as opposed to in Trinidad it only means fully East Indian.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.