Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-16-2009, 12:31 PM

758 posts, read 2,231,901 times

Advertisements

We all know that there are plenty of black/white mixes in the country. But anyone out there come from a really bizarre mix that you would never find anywhere else?

Good friend of mine is black and filipino.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-16-2009, 01:01 PM

983 posts, read 3,588,238 times
Arrow Blasian

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post
We all know that there are plenty of black/white mixes in the country. But anyone out there come from a really bizarre mix that you would never find anywhere else?

Yeah. Blasian seems to be rare, especially a Black woman and an Asian man.

According to a webpage that seems to be quite reliable, the percentage of US-raised _____ men who married US-raised Black women is:
Korean: 2.1%
Vietnamese: 1.3%
Philippine: 1.3%
Japanese: 0.7%
Asian Indian: 0.8%
Chinese: 0.5%

I don't know what year the data are based on though.

Also from the webpage, according to the US Census 2000, only 1% of unmarried Asian men lived with Black women, as opposed to 5.5% with Latino women, 26.5% with White women, and 63.4% with Asian women.

On the other hand, 5% of unmarried Asian women lived with Black men, 5.8% with Latino men, 39.7% with White men, and 45.2% with Asian men.

The page doesn't provide any data for homoseksual couples.

Old 10-16-2009, 01:44 PM

517 posts, read 1,313,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by joelaldo View Post

Actually that is a pretty common mix out here in California, I can name at least a dozen people I know personally who are that mix. A friend from high school I know had a child who is Mexican and Indian and I also know a person who is Mexican and Japanese. I myself am Mexican, Portuguese, and Hawaiian....not too bizarre but I doubt there is a large population of that mix. Come out to the Bay Area, you will see every mix possible! Another uncommon mix I can think of is my best friend who is Filipino and El Salvadorian, also my cousins are Filipino, Portuguese, Spanish, and Hawaiian, my brothers girlfriend is German and Mexican....I can go on like this forever =)

Last edited by kcee510; 10-16-2009 at 02:02 PM..

Old 10-16-2009, 02:16 PM

Question Mexican Indian

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
A friend from high school I know had a child who is Mexican and Indian
Is that a strange mix? There are so many Indians in Mexico that the term indio became almost derogatory. Happens all the time with the prominent minorities in a country: Negroes in the US back in the 60s and earlier, Turks in Germany, etc.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:26 PM

758 posts, read 2,231,901 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
Is that a strange mix? There are so many Indians in Mexico that the term indio became almost derogatory. Happens all the time with the prominent minorities in a country: Negroes in the US back in the 60s and earlier, Turks in Germany, etc.
#1 I think he was referring to Indians from India, not indigenous people from Mexico.

#2 The term NEGROE isn't really an appropriate word anymore.

Old 10-16-2009, 02:56 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,213,612 times
Well I lived in a pretty diverse neighborhood.
I've seen everything from American blacks/ Phillipina Bosnian/Chinese Arabic/korean Mexican/Combodian

Yup...

Old 10-16-2009, 03:13 PM

517 posts, read 1,313,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neutre View Post
You do realize by "Indian" I meant India right? I haven't seen too many Mexicans with the last name Singh...have you?

Old 10-16-2009, 03:15 PM

36,629 posts, read 67,173,716 times
My brother is Tongan(Polynesian) and his wife is Persian(Iranian).

My sister is Tongan and her husband is Greek. He was actually born there and has only been in the US for five or so years.

My younger sister is Tongan and is engaged to a Kenyan.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcee510 View Post
You do realize by "Indian" I meant India right? I haven't seen too many Mexicans with the last name Singh...have you?
Would I have written such post if I had known that you meant a person from India? And how am I supposed to know that his/her last name is Singh?
Thanks anyway. That cleared things up for me.

Old 10-16-2009, 03:40 PM

2,081 posts, read 5,569,420 times
There's really no such thing as an "odd mix" in Hawaii, most everyone is descended from ancestors from all over. People here often refer to their heritage as "chop suey".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.