Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 10:19 PM

6,041 posts, read 11,433,099 times

Advertisements

So many people seem to spend their working years living in a place they don't like only to move somewhere they like when they retire. Let's say they retire at 60 and live to 80. That means they would live somewhere they like for 25% of their life. Wouldn't it make more sense to move somewhere you like when you're young and spend 75% of your life somewhere you like?

I didn't know which forum to post this. If the moderators want to move this somewhere else, they can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-18-2009, 10:40 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,449,485 times
I understand this to be honest. The place you love best may not be right for your career or, if you have kids, your family. There are many beautiful places that are really not right for many occupations or for children.

Old 10-19-2009, 05:38 AM

1,928 posts, read 5,148,456 times
Hey, I'm in this dilemma. I'm working and have a job paying job. I would love to move right now to a different area of the country, but my job is the biggest hang up. I couldn't get a job close to the pay and benefits where I want to move. My company would let me be a teleworker, but I'm beginning to have second thoughts about this because of the drastically increased workload my whole team is under right now. Many things practically require me to be physically present.

Hopefully in a couple of years I won't need to have this salary level and can take a much less stressful job that only requires me to work 8 hour days, no weekends and no on-call or after-hours support. I can move to a place of my choosing without job/career constraints. I've had enough of corporate America for 1 lifetime and all the BS that goes with it.

Old 10-19-2009, 11:46 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,433,099 times
If people have their heart set on one city, I can see why it might be hard for them to live there if that city's not good for their career. But I was thinking more along the lines of wanting to live in a general region. If you like a certain region, there has to be somewhere in that region that would be right for your career.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:33 AM

1,366 posts, read 3,332,502 times
I agree with you, city_data91. If you want to move to a place bad enough, you'd think you could make it work. I know I'm not waiting til retirement (if that even happens) to get out of MI. I know people who are depressed because they want to leave, but figure they have a good job and friends so they wait it out for years. No thanks.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:29 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,946,932 times
Another way of saying what's been said above...

Most people want to get away from the hustle and bustle of the city when they retire. The hustle and bustle of the city mostly consists of people commuting to and from work. Leaving that hustle and bustle behind usually requires leaving the workplace behind.

I've never heard of anyone clamoring to retire to a big city from a smaller one, unless it's to be nearer to family.

Old 10-21-2009, 10:38 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,968,623 times
Actually some older people retire to bigger cities as they are more convenient to live in independently rather than small places.

Old 10-21-2009, 11:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,601,478 times
It has a lot to do with schools and jobs. Many of the retirement friendly areas lack these qualities.
Not to mention retirees drive up the cost of living, so it is difficult to get by on a salary in those places.

Basically any idiot can work as a toll-booth operator in NYC or DC for 50 years, and retire down here and buy a big upper-middle class house.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:42 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,380,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
So many people seem to spend their working years living in a place they don't like only to move somewhere they like when they retire. Let's say they retire at 60 and live to 80. That means they would live somewhere they like for 25% of their life. Wouldn't it make more sense to move somewhere you like when you're young and spend 75% of your life somewhere you like?

I didn't know which forum to post this. If the moderators want to move this somewhere else, they can.
Not sure...
I am of the other crowd, and hence reside in the Bay Area... yes I don't save as much, but I certainly would say I've lived a lot of life. Where as I could still be living in the south, but not really enjoying anything and investing it away for retirement...what...to travel? Or to retire out here? I'm 28 and have been to as many countries as my age already, and already live where many people would want to retire...
One thing is for certain, we all have a death sentence, nobody knows when their date is coming. Might as well enjoy it while you can. With lack of pensions and knowing I will never collect on SS... I don't see much of a point of saving for these "golden years".

Old 10-21-2009, 03:12 PM

3 posts, read 9,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post

Probably cause they are not too bright and like farm animals have been raised and trained for one thing, to work a job and make someone else rich instead of living their life making heaven on earth
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.