Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:30 PM

717 posts, read 2,799,519 times

Advertisements

Thanks for all of the input so far....Some of the towns I have been to and some I have not. No matter how much research I do, I am sure to overlook some places which I would probably love to see. That's why asking the folks who know, is sometimes the best thing to do. I am getting ready to spend another 4-6 weeks discovering these beautiful mountains...would love any suggestions....Thanks again!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2009, 12:47 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,731,996 times
I second Highlands N.C. - in addition to Boone N.C. (home of Applachian State University) and Blowing Rock, N.C.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:58 PM

6,334 posts, read 11,496,870 times
Cumberland Gap is a teeny tiny place. Unless you happen to be nearby, I don't think it's worth the detour.

Dandridge TN is a little bit bigger, also cute, and very convenient to I-40 near I-81.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:04 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,787,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Not charming
Subjective.

Quote:
untraditional
Didn't see where "traditional" was a qualification.

Quote:
traffic congested
Maybe if you're coming from Bumblesquat, Arkansas you'd think so.

Quote:
and full of transplants from the northeast and the northeast via Florida.
Again, irrelevant to qualifications asked for.

Quote:
Not exactly known for being historically preserved, either, except for Biltmore.
Absolutely incorrect.

The central business district and associated governmental and institutional areas comprise the core of the Downtown Asheville Historic District. The commercial buildings primarily date from the end of the 19th century to the 1940s along with several churches from the same period and 1920s governmental buildings. The downtown buildings range from small, one-story buildings to modest skyscrapers, and incorporate representative examples of popular architectural styles including Romanesque Revival, late Victorian, Neo-Gothic, Neo-Georgian, Classical Revival and Art Deco...

The architectural development of Asheville represents a layering of different building periods as bits and pieces of earlier fabric have survived each subsequent redevelopment. The oldest surviving building in the downtown area is the former Ravenscroft School, built as a residence in 1840. The finest late 19th-century building is the boldly detailed, Romanesque Revival style Drhumor Building constructed in 1895. The downtown district contains many early 20th-century examples of the work of prominent local architect Richard Sharp Smith, whose distinctive style lends much to the character of Asheville's architectural heritage. The 1920s period is represented by a large collection of fine buildings by prominent local and national architects culminating with Douglas Ellington's idiomatic Art Deco masterpieces: the City Building and the jewel-like S&W Cafeteria.

The Downtown Asheville Historic District encompasses the finest collection of late 19th- and early 20th-century urban architecture in North Carolina. With increasing preservation awareness and the availability of rehabilitation tax credits, downtown Asheville has enjoyed a striking resurgence over the past decade with a cultural diversity and social vibrancy to complement its rich architectural heritage.

Downtown Asheville Historic District-- Asheville, North Carolina: A National Register of Historic Places Travel Itinerary

Old 12-17-2009, 10:54 PM

I would like to bring this thread back if anyone has any other suggestions. I am heading back to the hills and mountians of VA, NC, TN, GA, and SC for at least 6 weeks beginning the week of January 4th. I will probably head up to Chattanooga, TN first--as TN is an area that I have totally neglected. I have focused more on all of the other states listed during the past 3 years.

I don't care how large or how small the town is, if there is a certain charm or character that draws you to it, please tell me about it--even if it is a "diamond in the rough". I am one of those people that is just magnetized by the "history" of something. There have been some great towns mentioned above--as I have had the opportunity to visit several of them. There are other towns listed which are definitely on my "must see" list for this trip.

Also, any local places I should find & check out in the towns you suggest are also appreciated!!!

Thank you!!! Thank you!!!

Old 12-18-2009, 07:42 AM

370 posts, read 1,006,281 times
I would second Lexington and Staunton... you'd perhaps even want to swing by Hot Springs, VA if you're in that area. It's a gorgeous part of the state though I suppose it's more of a resort town. Visit Jefferson Springs and the Homestead while you're there.

Old 12-18-2009, 11:43 AM

I have heard of Hot Springs and the Homestead...Would love to visit it....Are there any springs open to the public besides those at the Resort?

Old 12-18-2009, 11:51 AM

370 posts, read 1,006,281 times
My mistake it's Jefferson Pools and from what I know, that spring and of course the one inside the Homestead itself are both owned/run by the resort. The locals may know of some other ones but I'm not aware of any.

Old 12-18-2009, 01:34 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,718,870 times
Within sight of mountains in the Blue Ridge physiographic province:

Boiling Springs, Carlisle, and Gettysburg, PA.

Old 12-18-2009, 04:03 PM

38 posts, read 108,027 times
I don't know if its "exactly" in the area you describe, but I know Harpers Ferry, VA is EXACTLY the way it was in the 1850's, at or very close to John Brown's raid timeline of 1859. I don't think they allow stop lights in town, not even sure if cars can drive down the "main drag". People are dressed in period clothes everywhere. Its supposed to be the most historically accurate town in the USA (source of info: history channel special in the early 2000's).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.