Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:01 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
That's fine, but he didn't say what city he was in in Florida so cherry picking Tampa Bay doesn't really work either. If you want to go statewide Michigan is 14% Black and 4% Hispanic. I see you conveniently left off Florida's Hispanic population averaging 21% though. The City of Tampa by the way is 26.1% Black and 19.3% Hispanic if you want to compare city to city. The Grand Rapids Metro area is 7.1% Black and 7.7% Hispanic if you want to compare Metro to Metro.

I will stand by my statement that FL has a higher percentage of minorities than the Grand Rapids, MI area and that is why there are a lower number of minorities in the workforce. And my logic DOES compute when you compare either city to city, or metro to metro.
The site didn't give Florida's hispanic %...I didn't "conveniently" leave it off. I don't do immature stuff like that just to prove a point.

And for the record, the poster DID mention Tampa. Look back in the thread - it's right there in his post. He was comparing a place where he worked in Grand Rapids to one in Tampa. I didn't "cherry pick" anything.

Okay, the city of Tampa is 26% black compared to 20% in Grand Rapids. Do you REALLY think that would cause such a difference in minorities working at a particular business? I don't think so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 10:09 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,186,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Look at the different demographics between the two areas you are comparing. There is a much higher Black and Hispanic population in FL, than in Grand Rapids. Grand Rapids barely has 20% Black for population and 13% Hispanic, you shouldn't expect to find a high percentage of workers in every job filled with minorities in that situation. And a "large Dutch population" are you for real? Grand Rapids is only 15% Dutch origin, and that saying was old and worn out when I was a kid 40 years ago. I haven't heard that in at least that long.
Well Grand Rapids may only be 15% Dutch but notice how many notable names in business end with a "ma". Postma , Weirsma, Steensma, Talsma, thisma, thatma, there's a bunch of them and they have money and influence.

I worked at a factory in Kentwood with roughly 100 production personel and between the 2 shifts there was about 6 blacks, none in supervisory or management positions. There were more hispanics than any group....they all came from the temp service. Hell, I even tried to conceal the fact I was a Southerner from FL and once that got out, they didn't care much for me after that either, I might as well been a leper in their eyes.

Old 10-20-2009, 10:19 PM

12,082 posts, read 38,707,199 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
And for the record, the poster DID mention Tampa. Look back in the thread - it's right there in his post. He was comparing a place where he worked in Grand Rapids to one in Tampa. I didn't "cherry pick" anything.
You are right, I missed that. I apologize for the cherry picking comment.

Old 10-21-2009, 02:46 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,452,459 times
I live in a town that traditionally had some strong racists, but it's ebbing a bit. Still I know a woman in one of the richest families in town was in love with a black guy when she worked in DC. Her brothers ended the relationship and she's a spinster to this day. The one kid I knew with my condition, OI, was a black girl. Her family would visit on occasion and they got plenty of stares, which had nothing to do with having osteogenesis imperfecta. In High School the boys sexually harrassed a Hawaiian lady who taught music. Granted that could be just sexism, but I think there was a bit of a racial element. They also enjoyed joked that revolved around killing black people. My sister is married to a guy who was against both a woman being VP and a black guy, but he didn't say "black guy" the first few times he mentioned it, being President. Later he realized how much we disapproved so he tried to "explain" it. Another guy from the area thought sicking dogs on Black Jehovah's Witnesses was hilarious. That could be both religious and racial.

BTW: I'm not talking about Arkansas, I'm talking about the Great Plains where I live now.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:31 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,294,769 times
First, lets be realistic about who we tab with the discrimination label. Whites arn't any more guilty of discrimination than any other race or cultural group. Which is to say every race is just as racist as any other. Next, less make it clear that the government is very much into discrimination with one example being Affirmative Action which was(and is) discrimination against whites and keeping in mind that there are many more examples. My being white have felt discrimination because the color of my skin is white. It really all comes down to tribalism with everyone being a member of one tribe or another.

Old 10-21-2009, 05:39 PM

37 posts, read 132,740 times
[mod]orphaned[/mod[

But on a serious note, white women have benefited from affirmative action more than any group, so I guess they're discriminating against poor white guys! It seems every time there's a thread on racial issues, you'll always get the person who says "everybody's racist" or "blacks are just as racist." Sorry, black president or not, white males wield the power in America. But some folks still don't get this fact

Last edited by Bo; 10-21-2009 at 10:48 PM.. Reason: orphaned - the post you quoted was deleted

Old 10-21-2009, 08:25 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
First, lets be realistic about who we tab with the discrimination label. Whites arn't any more guilty of discrimination than any other race or cultural group. Which is to say every race is just as racist as any other. Next, less make it clear that the government is very much into discrimination with one example being Affirmative Action which was(and is) discrimination against whites and keeping in mind that there are many more examples. My being white have felt discrimination because the color of my skin is white. It really all comes down to tribalism with everyone being a member of one tribe or another.
poor white in this country are pretty disadvantaged as well, besides being poor, they don't qualify for any of the upward mobility measures like affirmative action. this is into the lower middle class white easily now as well. this can be from loan qualification, to getting into a choice school, to employment. I think the attitude is to assume, oh they are white, they must be fine. rich whites and lower income whites have nothing to do with each other, sorry... no money access, no good ol boy connections...

Old 10-21-2009, 08:58 PM

2,653 posts, read 5,937,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
poor white in this country are pretty disadvantaged as well, besides being poor, they don't qualify for any of the upward mobility measures like affirmative action. this is into the lower middle class white easily now as well. this can be from loan qualification, to getting into a choice school, to employment. I think the attitude is to assume, oh they are white, they must be fine. rich whites and lower income whites have nothing to do with each other, sorry... no money access, no good ol boy connections...
True indeed...........................
But poor White people do have one ace up their sleeve; being white. If you don't think that counts for something in this country, you are sorely mistaken.
Social mobility (not just economic) is an easier road for poor individuals of European decent than it is for others.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:39 PM

4,716 posts, read 8,527,066 times
Here in Lubbock, I think think that there is very little racial discrimination. It's a college town with students from all around, and it is pretty diverse for a city its size. My high school is about 40% Hispanic, 30% white, 15% Black, and 15% Asian. Of the 21 houses on my block, 3 are Hispanic, 1 is Black, 1 is Filipino, and 1 is Greek/Hispanic. However, I'm not exactly sure about sexual orientation discrimination. It is a conservative city, so the reactions might be a mixed bag. I've noticed the majority of people take the stance that they might not agree with the lifestyle, but it is not their place to judge someone. Our new freeway is named after an openly gay women.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:46 AM

8,515 posts, read 16,127,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachael84 View Post
I teach in the south Bronx and I'm white--Most teachers in my school are hispanic and mostly speak spanish to one another. I'm always very nice to everyone and go out of my way for them. I noticed if you don't speak spanish, they're not that nice to you. There are a few exceptions, but for the most part, I don't feel very welcome.

While riding on the subway through the south Bronx I've had blacks and hispanics saying pretty mean things to me for no real reason (like just for sitting next to them).
Black have been dealing with that FOREVER.......we're used to it.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.