Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2009, 06:48 AM

8,900 posts, read 15,839,302 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron. View Post
Black have been dealing with that FOREVER.......we're used to it.

Yeah, I especially know how blacks felt prior to the 1960s before they had many rights. I couldn't imagine experiencing that discrimination on a daily basis
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2009, 12:29 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,294,769 times
Sometimes the discrimination against whites is suttle like what happened to me. I was trying to find a hands on electronics course to round out my associate degree in electronics. That certain kind of course is hard to find but I did find one. Problem was the city of Chicago(I lived in Chicago at the time) put the course in the middle of the south side and then made it a night course on top of that. Of course I couldn't take that course because I'm white and the south side is all black. So blacks had an advantage over me in the job market in that they had access to that course and I didn't. I'm sure that there are hundreds of other suttle and not so suttle cases of the system twisting things to the disadvantage of whites.

Old 10-22-2009, 12:42 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
Sometimes the discrimination against whites is suttle like what happened to me. I was trying to find a hands on electronics course to round out my associate degree in electronics. That certain kind of course is hard to find but I did find one. Problem was the city of Chicago(I lived in Chicago at the time) put the course in the middle of the south side and then made it a night course on top of that. Of course I couldn't take that course because I'm white and the south side is all black. So blacks had an advantage over me in the job market in that they had access to that course and I didn't. I'm sure that there are hundreds of other suttle and not so suttle cases of the system twisting things to the disadvantage of whites.
What kept you from enrolling in that course? A fear of black people? If it was a distance or transporation issue, I could easily understand. But simply because you're white and it's in a mostly non-white area - sorry, that's a problem with you, not with the course you're trying to take or the city of Chicago.

(subtle)

Old 10-22-2009, 01:12 PM

1,105 posts, read 2,294,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
What kept you from enrolling in that course? A fear of black people? If it was a distance or transporation issue, I could easily understand. But simply because you're white and it's in a mostly non-white area - sorry, that's a problem with you, not with the course you're trying to take or the city of Chicago.

(subtle)
No white in their right mind would drive into south chicago at night and spend any time. They would have to be crazy. If you don't believe me go there and try it once. I'll send a flower to your funeral.

By the way where do you live? Everyone knows you don't go to south chicago if your white and especially at night.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angorlee View Post
No white in their right mind would drive into south chicago at night and spend any time. They would have to be crazy. If you don't believe me go there and try it once. I'll send a flower to your funeral.

By the way where do you live? Everyone knows you don't go to south chicago if your white and especially at night.
I'm white and I live on the southwest side of Atlanta, near Morehouse College...my area is over 80% black and I don't seem to have any problems with my race - or anyone else's. I've been to the southside of Chicago, and it didn't seem all bad to me. I gather it's similar to the attitudes in Atlanta...plenty of white people have an unfounded fear of everything south of I-20.

If I wanted to take a course and I felt it would enhance my life somehow, I wouldn't let it's location in a "bad" area stop me.

Old 10-22-2009, 01:36 PM

7,731 posts, read 14,291,021 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I'm white and I live on the southwest side of Atlanta, near Morehouse College...my area is over 80% black and I don't seem to have any problems with my race - or anyone else's. I've been to the southside of Chicago, and it didn't seem all bad to me. I gather it's similar to the attitudes in Atlanta...plenty of white people have an unfounded fear of everything south of I-20.

If I wanted to take a course and I felt it would enhance my life somehow, I wouldn't let it's location in a "bad" area stop me.
Exactly!

Hyde Park happens to be on the South side of Chicago. Don't hear too much about people being scared to go there, do you?

Old 10-22-2009, 02:03 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,383,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnatl View Post
Exactly!

Hyde Park happens to be on the South side of Chicago. Don't hear too much about people being scared to go there, do you?
Hyde Park is University of Chicago. It really depends where he was. Much of the south and west side is not a very good area in general to be at night. It is not safe to be on the street for ANYBODY not just whites in many areas at night. If he is driving and parking there, very likely his car will get broken into. Again, depends what neighborhood he had to go to, hit or miss.

Old 10-24-2009, 12:57 PM

4,879 posts, read 3,326,066 times
South OC probably has a higher than average level discrimination.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:40 PM

840 posts, read 2,076,503 times
RACISM now is really hard to define because it also has something to do with Economic levels and many other factors.

There is a lot of reverse racism now (racism against your on group) especially in the black areas and lots in the hispanic community

Old 10-24-2009, 11:35 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,705,996 times
The south comes to mind when someone thinks of racist areas of the country, but I believe most midwestern states are at least as racist if not more. I live in Michigan and I agree with the post about the Grand Rapids area. I will also say it extends through most of the state. White and black are segregated much more here than anywhere in the south Ive ever seen. It seems to be this way in the rest of the midwest as well. White people tend to the suburbs and small towns, and the only place you find minoritys is in the central city. Look at the Detroit area, Chicago, Indianapolis etc. Most people dont know that Indiana and Michigan also have a HUGE history with KKK. They used to say the Detroit metro area was the most segregated in the whole country. When you travel in the southern states it seems to me that the races live closer together, less segregated. I think the states of dixie get an unfair bad rap on race issues. If you look at the midwest honestly, we have far more race issues than the south.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.