Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-21-2009, 01:14 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,733,436 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
According to City-Data, the average house or condo value in Atlanta is 240,000, and in Sandy Springs it is 474,000!

FYI, I have done a lot of research, that is how I know all those Northern cities. I have pretty much looked at places from coast to coast. But almost every Southern city I pull up has a lot of violent and property crime. I know that they may be concentrated in certain areas, but I am wondering if there is somewhere that you could honestly say "I would not hesistate to walk in any part of this city, even at night"
Again, you can't go by the average price of a home. You would have to compare similar homes, and you get a much larger/nicer/newer home in Sandy Springs for much less money than in Atlanta.

You asked for information, so why are you arguing about it? It's a fact. I'm not trying to convince you...because I'm not convinced that this thread has any merit. You're on your own.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:15 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,441,663 times
Quote:
I would not hesistate to walk in any part of this city, even at night"
I don't think a sizable place exists.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:27 AM

180 posts, read 524,519 times
To DeaconJ

If by saying "you're on your own" means you are through posting and giving me your wonderful wisdom, thank goodness.

To WestbankNOLA

Thank you for at least being honest by saying that the type of place I am looking for may not exist.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:39 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,733,436 times
Quote:
To DeaconJ

If by saying "you're on your own" means you are through posting and giving me your wonderful wisdom, thank goodness.

To WestbankNOLA

Thank you for at least being honest by saying that the type of place I am looking for may not exist.
Nope...not quite. I'm just not going to help educate you, and it doesn't look like anyone else is, either. You keep arguing about factual information, so that tells me that you aren't really looking for it. You don't know what you're talking about, but you keep arguing. So you're on your own in your lack of knowledge. Have fun!

You start a thread begging for information that you can easily reference on city-data. Why are you asking other people to look up crime data? That doesn't make sense.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:39 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,007,503 times
Quote:
Owensboro, KY

And if what I said is not true at all, find me a Southern city over 50,000 that is not just a suburb with a city-data crime score below 300!
You found one yourself, Owensboro is not in the North.

Old 10-21-2009, 07:48 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,611,824 times
50,000 people is a pretty low cutoff. You're talking about a lot of different cities and towns over a pretty large area.

Personally, if I were you, I'd look around for towns and cities in the southern Appalachian mountains, or the foothills. Suburbs are slightly more contained around there, urban areas are few and far between, but they are often a little more dense at the core, I think.

Last edited by le roi; 10-21-2009 at 07:58 AM..

Old 10-21-2009, 08:34 AM

13,809 posts, read 26,460,981 times
Southern cities have historically been more crime-ridden. The South was traditionally agrarian so the cities were where farm-boys or planters went to get wild. Also the Southerners made their money, then, more on cash crops so the cities were about trade and maybe that caused a certain transience. Later many of the rural counties were "dry" so the urban areas might have been the main place to go to get drunk and alcohol-related-crime is a big issue in the US. Also the South tends to have higher poverty rates and teen pregnancies, which relates to crime. There's probably other factors too. I say this, but understand I feel a strong connection/love for the South in many ways. Many of my ancestors are Southerners and I was born in the South.

Anyway Virginia Beach, Virginia I believe has a low crime rate. Lynchburg, Virginia also seems to be below average. Outside Virginia Athens, Georgia doesn't seem to have a crime rate too much above the national average. None of these are huge I guess, but they are some examples.

Old 10-21-2009, 08:42 AM

23,322 posts, read 43,787,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't know about the others, but real estate in Sandy Springs IS NOT more expensive than real estate in Atlanta. You can't just look at the price of one home and decide that it's cheaper to live there! A comparable home in the city of Atlanta is much more expensive than one in Sandy Springs.

You can't look for yourself on city-data? You quoted some crime statistics from there, so it seems like you could do a little research and come up with something yourself if that's what your intentions are.
I'll confirm that...and no way is Gainesville more expensive than Atlanta.
I am 6 miles from downtown Atlanta and crime has never been a problem. Crime statistics certainly don't tell the whole story...there are always 100+ real-life variables behind them.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:05 AM

174 posts, read 402,184 times
Quote:
I never said it only applies to Southern cities, but those are the states I am looking at. There are lots of cities in all parts of the country where people escape to the suburbs because the cities themselves have a lot of crime.

But I have found cities in the North where you would feel safe almost anywhere in the city instead of paying more to live in the surrounding communties.

A Few Examples:

Fargo, ND
Sioux Falls, SD
Billings, MT
Cheyenne, WY
La Croose, WI
Dubuque, IA
Lincoln, NE
Kennewick, WA
Boise, ID
Owensboro, KY

And if what I said is not true at all, find me a Southern city over 50,000 that is not just a suburb with a city-data crime score below 300!
I'll meet your Lincoln, NE (which doesn't have a score below 300 btw) with Cary, NC that has less than half of 300 - and don't say it's a suburb of Raleigh, because Raleigh is not big enough to claim a 100k suburb!

Regardless, most of your examples are kinda misleading, as they are part of isolated states that have low populations and very low crime rates to begin with. If you travel further east, where people actually live, you will find that the northern states are not much different than the southern states when it comes to crime within it's cities.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:35 AM

6,749 posts, read 22,007,503 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NCbyChoice View Post
I'll meet your Lincoln, NE (which doesn't have a score below 300 btw) with Cary, NC that has less than half of 300 - and don't say it's a suburb of Raleigh, because Raleigh is not big enough to claim a 100k suburb!

Regardless, most of your examples are kinda misleading, as they are part of isolated states that have low populations and very low crime rates to begin with. If you travel further east, where people actually live, you will find that the northern states are not much different than the southern states when it comes to crime within it's cities.
I agree NC, with the exception of Kentucky (which shouldn't be on tha tlist anyway) most of those states are less populated then the South.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.