Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-20-2009, 10:59 PM

180 posts, read 524,571 times

Advertisements

All cities have some "bad areas", but it seems like more often than not, when looking at Southern cities, you have to live in a wealthy, expensive suburb to feel safe and not have crime all around you.

Are there any Southern cities over 50,000 people where you can live "in the city" safely even if you don't make a ton of money?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 PM

23,331 posts, read 43,794,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdc1211 View Post
All cities have some "bad areas", but it seems like more often than not, when looking at Southern cities, you have to live in a wealthy, expensive suburb to feel safe and not have crime all around you.
What? Why in the world would you make such a supposition? And why, even if true, would Southern cities be any different than other cities in this regard?

Old 10-20-2009, 11:38 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,735,132 times
Quote:

Are there any Southern cities over 50,000 people where you can live "in the city" safely even if you don't make a ton of money?
Um...that's not even a little bit true. What a silly statement!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LovinDecatur View Post
What? Why in the world would you make such a supposition? And why, even if true, would Southern cities be any different than other cities in this regard?
I never said it only applies to Southern cities, but those are the states I am looking at. There are lots of cities in all parts of the country where people escape to the suburbs because the cities themselves have a lot of crime.

But I have found cities in the North where you would feel safe almost anywhere in the city instead of paying more to live in the surrounding communties.

A Few Examples:

Fargo, ND
Sioux Falls, SD
Billings, MT
Cheyenne, WY
La Croose, WI
Dubuque, IA
Lincoln, NE
Kennewick, WA
Boise, ID
Owensboro, KY

And if what I said is not true at all, find me a Southern city over 50,000 that is not just a suburb with a city-data crime score below 300!

Old 10-21-2009, 12:19 AM

Quote:
I never said it only applies to Southern cities, but those are the states I am looking at. There are lots of cities in all parts of the country where people escape to the suburbs because the cities themselves have a lot of crime.

But I have found cities in the North where you would feel safe almost anywhere in the city instead of paying more to live in the surrounding communties.

A Few Examples:

Fargo, ND
Sioux Falls, SD
Billings, MT
Cheyenne, WY
La Croose, WI
Dubuque, IA
Lincoln, NE
Kennewick, WA
Boise, ID
Owensboro, KY

And if what I said is not true at all, find me a Southern city over 50,000 that is not just a suburb with a city-data crime score below 300!
Hmmm...it seems that you can look one up yourself - or are you wanting someone else to do all the work?

People don't move to the suburbs to "pay more" to live there - it's just the opposite...the suburbs are normally much cheaper than the city; hence, the main reason for the popularity of suburbs.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:26 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,442,552 times
What gave you the idea that people don't feel safe in southern cities? The crime score doesn't really affect how safe people feel.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WestbankNOLA View Post
What gave you the idea that people don't feel safe in southern cities? The crime score doesn't really affect how safe people feel.
It just seems that every time I read other threads where people ask which parts of a city to live or to avoid, they are steered away from the city.

For example, Memphis has a lot of crime, but nearby Southaven and Olive Branch are low crime.

Nashville has a lot of crime, but suburban areas like Hendersonville, Brentwood, and Franklin are low crime.

Atlanta is so sprawled out, and the areas with low crime are the ones that are growing like Sandy Springs and Gainesville.

All of these areas do cost more than the actual large cities they are near.

And to the person who said "look it up yourself", I have tried, but have not had much success. If you think I have not, then prove me wrong by telling me all the places I've missed. The best I have found is Raleigh, NC and Fayetteville, AR. I realize the crime score alone does not tell the full story. And so, if I can't go by that alone, then I would like some suggestions.

Old 10-21-2009, 12:52 AM

Quote:
It just seems that every time I read other threads where people ask which parts of a city to live or to avoid, they are steered away from the city.

For example, Memphis has a lot of crime, but nearby Southaven and Olive Branch are low crime.

Nashville has a lot of crime, but suburban areas like Hendersonville, Brentwood, and Franklin are low crime.

Atlanta is so sprawled out, and the areas with low crime are the ones that are growing like Sandy Springs and Gainesville.

And to the person who said "look it up yourself", I have tried, but have not had much success. If you think I have not, then prove me wrong by telling me all the places I've missed. The best I have found is Raleigh, NC and Fayetteville, AR. I realize the crime score alone does not tell the full story. And so, if I can't go by that alone, then I would like some suggestions.
I don't know about the others, but real estate in Sandy Springs IS NOT more expensive than real estate in Atlanta. You can't just look at the price of one home and decide that it's cheaper to live there! A comparable home in the city of Atlanta is much more expensive than one in Sandy Springs.

You can't look for yourself on city-data? You quoted some crime statistics from there, so it seems like you could do a little research and come up with something yourself if that's what your intentions are.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:00 AM

4,230 posts, read 10,442,552 times
Quote:

I think that just comes from the City v. Suburb mentality.

Old 10-21-2009, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't know about the others, but real estate in Sandy Springs IS NOT more expensive than real estate in Atlanta. You can't just look at the price of one home and decide that it's cheaper to live there! A comparable home in the city of Atlanta is much more expensive than one in Sandy Springs.

You can't look for yourself on city-data? You quoted some crime statistics from there, so it seems like you could do a little research and come up with something yourself if that's what your intentions are.
According to City-Data, the average house or condo value in Atlanta is 240,000, and in Sandy Springs it is 474,000!

FYI, I have done a lot of research, that is how I know all those Northern cities. I have pretty much looked at places from coast to coast. But almost every Southern city I pull up has a lot of violent and property crime. I know that they may be concentrated in certain areas, but I am wondering if there is somewhere that you could honestly say "I would not hesistate to walk in any part of this city, even at night"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.