Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2009, 03:11 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,356,133 times

Advertisements

I love my four seasons - the beauty of spring, the warmth of summer, the colors of fall, and the snow of winter. I would rather visit Florida for a week, moving there would be pretty hellish. If I had to live in a one-season climate, I would prefer year-round winter over year-round summer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-23-2009, 04:34 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,214,008 times
Going to snow in a mountain is different then snow coming to your house.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:00 PM

21,144 posts, read 42,001,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I guess we just prefer black ice for a few months over brown lawns for a year.
Brown lawns?

The Phx area is a lot greener than you may realize; especially the older enclaves--------besides; if done properly----------I like desert landscaping.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:39 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,259,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArizonaBear View Post
Brown lawns?

The Phx area is a lot greener than you may realize; especially the older enclaves--------besides; if done properly----------I like desert landscaping.
I also think desert landscaping can look nice also, if it is done properly.

Old 10-23-2009, 08:44 PM

205 posts, read 477,273 times
Well here in Buffalo my year goes like this.

January - March: the cold and snow gets old. But on the plus side it's a nice reason to hibernate and just hang our with friends.

April - May: Spring is awesome. The sweet release of winter lets up. You get out and about. It's still cold and rainy but after winter 35-40 degrees seems like tanning weather.

June - August: I'm sure everyone says this but Summer is Buffalo is the best. The lake acts like air conditioning and keep summer at around 80 degree. It's pretty perfect weather in the summer.

Sept - Nov: Fall is great. The holidays, the smell, the colors, the sweaters. You can easily remain active and out and about no problems.

Nov - Dec: As the cold slowly set in the snow remains very very light. But that's okay, its the holidays and everyones in a good mood. I think some people are shocked at the lack of snow Buffalo gets in December. 4 years ago I was getting out of work in mid December. I seen a familiy who was overly bundeled up. They had winter coats, scarves, gloves, boots, the whole package deal. Looking lost, I asked them if they needed help. They were upset and kept asking where all the snow was. I said there is no snow,and its 53 degrees. They came all the way from Tallahassee to Buffalo to see snow and there was none!

Something about Fall and Winter in the south, southwest just seems empty. You can't visit a season on a weekend trip to the mountains. it's just not right!

Old 10-24-2009, 06:38 AM

8,155 posts, read 20,923,146 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I grew up with 4 seasons and I can say from experience that 4 seasons are overrated. Spring and fall can be nice, but winter tends to dominate in true 4 season climates. A place with a mild winter may have 4 seasons, but it's not the same as living somewhere with a cold, long winter.
Could you say the same thing if you DIDN'T grow up with 4 seasons? How would you know? It's like you are saying "I tried coke, don't like it" while the OP is saying "I've never had coke - I wonder what it's like"

For us here in CT, we have what I would consider one of the most balanced 4 season climates. We get two months of real Winter (Jan/Feb - Last year, a "more harsh year"…the first real snow [more than 1 inch] in southern CT/NYC was on December 18th…the last was on March 2nd & both times it hit 60 F within a few days and all the snow melted in southern CT), two months of hot sticky Summer (July/Aug) and a gentle swing towards both spectrums in between. Leaves are on the trees about 6 months of the year and 6 without. Just about when you are ready for a change, it comes.

We have as many sunny days per year as Miami and the Winters are not bleak and grey - lots of sunny days even in the cold. (I know some here think it's not and complain but they never experienced a midwest Winter and/or don't look at the factual data)

There are a weeks worth of days in the Winter where I'm "not happy" and the same in the Summer so I guess that means it's about balanced out right.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:14 AM

14,462 posts, read 11,207,014 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
I grew up with 4 seasons and I can say from experience that 4 seasons are overrated. Spring and fall can be nice, but winter tends to dominate in true 4 season climates. A place with a mild winter may have 4 seasons, but it's not the same as living somewhere with a cold, long winter.
Winter doesn't tend to dominate.
Spring and fall weather tend to dominate. 6 months out of the year the average daily temps are in the 40's thru 60's.

Then there is 3 months of cold and 3 months of warm.

As far as personal preferences go. I love when it's cold from the end of November thru mid to late January. By that time I'm looking forward to the crocuses. Unfortunately, they're at least a month and half away.
The February and March winter can be characterized by the sun getting higher in the sky so you will get warm days interspersed with the occasional nor'easter, which is pretty cool.
I'll bet you southerners have never seen a winter hurricane!

Old 10-24-2009, 08:15 AM

4,036 posts, read 9,207,658 times
I guess I"m a live and let live type. While I didn't grow up in Florida I grew up in Georgia without any white Christmases and I don't think I missed out anything. The four seasons are what you make of it. Some argue that Georgia only 2 maybe 3 seasons at best and I disagree. Weather wise I think I had a well rounded childhood despite the lack of snowmen. At the same time I absolutely love snow and will admit that I was disappointed by the lack of snow when I moved to the DC area. Don't get me wrong it snowed three times one of which produced like 6 or 8 inches snow more snow than I've ever seen in my life. But it wasn't like it is on tv where there's snow all winter.

Growing up I wished I lived up north like the kids on tv. Every Christmas cartoon in the world had snow. Even cartoons that were in warm settings would get a freak snowstorm on Christmas. Imagine my disappointment when I looked out the window and was reminded the real world doesn't work like that.

BUt yeah it's all about perspective you dont' need snow to have a cold winter.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:35 AM

111 posts, read 344,769 times
Some areas (like "Michiana") only have two seasons; hot summers and cold, long winters. Spring shows its face for a little while but fall seems to not exist anymore. The snow is very nice, but by the end of January, you're pretty much sick of looking at it. The thought of another month and a half just makes it that much worse. Even though sometimes the snow is quite a drag, I wouldn't trade it for a 24/7 warm, sunny climate.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:45 AM

4,194 posts, read 11,646,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilred0005 View Post
I can only speak about growing up in South Florida but I assume the same could be said for Southern California and Texas, you miss out on a lot of things when you grow up in an area with no seasons. I am a Florida native, and if I hadn't travelled quite a bit, I'd never of seen snow, and many natives I know still haven't seen snow. I had no idea snow was so wet. I have never seen the flowers and plants rejuvinate in the Spring, nor have I seen a tree's leaves change colors in the Fall. I have never smelled the smoky smell of leaves burning in the Fall or a field of wildflowers in the Spring. Until I travelled, I had never seen an Oak or Maple tree, or felt what real grass feels like, not the crab grass we have down here. I would have never seen an icicle and have never seen ice on trees. I was mystified the first time I saw a lake frozen over. These may seem like every day mundane things to most people, and some would argue that not all these things, like ice, are positive but I personally feel that you miss out on a lot of wonderful things in nature when you grow up without seasons. Does anybody agree?
i agree somewhat with what you said. except i live in florida and we have maple and oak trees. and ive seen icicle's, ice on trees, and our maple trees turn colors in the fall and shed off all of their leaves in the winter. And our grass is real grass, its a different type of grass. just because you dont like st augustine grass doesnt mean it isnt real grass. I like st augustine grass better then the grass they have up north.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.