Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:58 AM

32 posts, read 66,214 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'll be graduating in a few weeks with business degree, and because I'm a recent graduate, I am eligible to obtain a 1 year working visa in the USA.
I'm 22, and looking for a city that would also be suitable for someone my age. So that includes sports (both participating and supporting), outdoor activities, nightlife, good looking women.

I am really looking to just get a very basic job, such as in a restaurant or a bar, so therefore I need somewhere that has a low cost of living. I would love to live in a city like NYC or SF, but I think making ends meet would be difficult, as I want to get my own place for under $1000.
It'd be better if there was decent public transport, or if a majority of the city is skateable/ridable/walkable.

Some places from my research that has sprung to mind is San Diego, Austin and Pittsburgh, but I'm open to recommendations. I'd like to live somewhere on the east coast, because that puts me closer to more cities, and a lot of my friends live on that side too, but it's not the be and end all.

Please help. Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 07:36 PM

1,366 posts, read 3,332,810 times
Yea, the low cost of living clashes huge with San Diego, NYC or SF. Check out some cities in Florida along either coast. Plenty of restaurant/bar jobs with a lower cost of living and tons of activities and it's on the east coast, albeit the very south part.

Old 10-24-2009, 08:43 PM

840 posts, read 2,076,503 times
Seattle, Charlotte NC, Atlanta, Chicago Miami and a few others have decent cost of livings and I know Atlanta and Charlotte have plenty of bars and small businesses that may have openings. Of all of them Chicago is the Nicest and Miami is the most international

Old 10-24-2009, 10:47 PM

32 posts, read 66,214 times
Thanks for the replies guys! I've kept searching after my post and have found Portland and Seattle very nice sounding places as well.

Are many of the cities mentioned walkable? My friend said Portland is very walkable. I might look into Chicago because that's a huge city! Also Charlotte because some of the best times I've had in the USA has been in NC. Plus they all have NBA teams

Old 10-26-2009, 04:22 PM

389 posts, read 898,826 times
^ whether or not a city has an nba team weighs into your decision on whether or not to move there??

Last edited by arch_genesis; 10-26-2009 at 05:13 PM..

Old 10-26-2009, 04:52 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,212,746 times
Chicago

Old 10-26-2009, 10:17 PM

5,816 posts, read 15,846,562 times
You might take a look at Philadelphia. It's pretty walkable, has decent public transit which can be very good in many areas, has interesting old architecture, pro sports (including the NBA), museums, concerts, a good crowd of young people because the city has a number of colleges, and ready access to some other great cities in the Northeast Corridor. And the cost of living is reasonable for a major Northeastern city.

Last edited by ogre; 10-26-2009 at 11:15 PM..

Old 10-27-2009, 07:53 AM

231 posts, read 637,733 times
I seem to run into a fair amount of Australian's in San Diego, I've heard our city is quite similar to Sydney.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:51 AM

43,303 posts, read 43,983,660 times
For approx. $1000 per month you can rent a studio apt. in NYC's outer boroughs such in some neighborhoods in Queens.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:13 AM

634 posts, read 1,442,365 times
Austin is not a walkable city unless you live within certain confines. However, with your budget you'd probably be able to find a somewhat decent place in one of the somewhat more walkable neighborhoods. There are no professional sports teams, there is only the cult of the university. Trust me, I'd much rather have a selection of professional sports teams myself, but that can only be found in Houston, Dallas, or San Antonio. The night life is suited to people around your age and I imagine you'd probably enjoy Lady Bird Lake and the Greenbelt, etc. However, it does get horrendously hot during the summer here. (But it's hot in parts of Australia as well, is it not?) As for the pretty women . . . do you like sorority girls? Hipster chicks? If so, Austin can fill your needs in that department.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.