Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 04:31 PM

16,087 posts, read 41,006,064 times

Advertisements

Texans are proud and cherish manners, like Southerners, but we have our own thing. We are also more friendly, independent, oustpoken, libertarian and maverick with a wild party streak!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 04:33 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,168,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
It changed drastically for the entire South around 1860 with the Civil War...not just for Texas.
Texas hadn't been a state very long in the 1860's. It had and has been associated with several different regions other than the South. I don't think it was ever associated with the Deep South, but I could be wrong. I wasn't alive in the 1800's.

But I do know that no one in Texas or the Deep South state's I've talked to consider Texas a part of the Deep South. You are the only one I've heard make that argument.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:35 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,726,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
Texas hadn't been a state very long in the 1860's. It had and has been associated with several different regions other than the South. I don't think it was ever associated with the Deep South, but I could be wrong. I wasn't alive in the 1800's.

But I do know that no one in Texas or the Deep South state's I've talked to consider Texas a part of the Deep South. You are the only one I've heard make that argument.
The Deep South is no longer a cohesive area...the reason it was in the past was due to it's plantation culture, and Texas was included in that culture. Look it up - I'm not the only one who is familiar with history.

Historic Deep South
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/thumb/a/a6/US_map-Deep_South_States.png/300px-US_map-Deep_South_States.png (broken link)

Old 10-30-2009, 04:45 PM

Quote:
The Deep South is no longer a cohesive area...the reason it was in the past was due to it's plantation culture, and Texas was included in that culture. Look it up - I'm not the only one who is familiar with history.

Historic Deep South
If that's true, my guess would be Texas hasn't been a Deep South state sense the 1870's. In today's terms, it refers to Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and South Carolina (the states in dark maroon). I've heard people refer to the region as the Deep South in those states and out of those states. In modern times, it's just a term to describe a handful of states with cultural similarities that Texas is NOT included in. That doesn't mean their the same, just similar.

Old 10-30-2009, 04:47 PM

2,590 posts, read 4,511,035 times
Texas is such a huge state both geographically and in population that it's hard to really come up with a stereotypical Texan. I guess you could say the same about the south as a whole.

I do kind of envy the Texas pride thing. Sadly "southern" pride tends to be accompanied with confederate flags and reactionism. Texas seems more individualistic; more libertarian as a previous poster mentioned. Some are arrogant. I think these people are the south's version of the arrogant New Yorker. Regardless, I have met some of the nicest, most gracious people in both places.

I don't think I've met any Texan who looked down on people who weren't from there.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:18 PM

Quote:
If that's true, my guess would be Texas hasn't been a Deep South state sense the 1870's. In today's terms, it refers to Louisiana, Alabama, Mississippi, Georgia, and South Carolina (the states in dark maroon). I've heard people refer to the region as the Deep South in those states and out of those states. In modern times, it's just a term to describe a handful of states with cultural similarities that Texas is NOT included in. That doesn't mean their the same, just similar.
No, it's used by people to disparage that area...that's why you don't want Texas to be associated with it. If it was a complimentary term, Texas would be all up in being a part of it.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:43 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,042,168 times
Quote:
No, it's used by people to disparage that area...that's why you don't want Texas to be associated with it. If it was a complimentary term, Texas would be all up in being a part of it.
No, its the just that Texas really has never been known as deep south. Yes the map clearly points it out, but that was mostly due to the eastern parts of Texas. Texans aren't embarrassed or ashamed of their southern heritage, but to group it with places like MS,AL,GA,LA,TN,etc is incorrect.

This isn't about superiority; its about that fact that you continuously ignore the western influence that separates Texas from truly being a southern state. If you want to talk just about East Texas; than sure, but Texas as a whole can't really be called southern or even western. Only parts can.

Last edited by blkgiraffe; 10-30-2009 at 05:55 PM..

Old 10-30-2009, 05:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
No, its the just that Texas really has never been as as deep south. Yes the map clearly points it out, but that was mostly due to the eastern parts of Texas. Texans aren't embarrassed or ashamed of their southern heritage, but to group it with places like MS,AL,GA,LA,TN,etc is incorrect.

This isn't about superiority; its about that fact that you continuously ignore the western influence that separates Texas from truly being a southern state. If you want to talk just about East Texas; than sure, but Texas as a whole can't really be called southern or even western. Only parts can.
What he said.

Whether the term is used as a derogatory term or a sense of southern pride, it does not include Texas. That's just the way it is.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:49 PM

Quote:
What he said.

Whether the term is used as a derogatory term or a sense of southern pride, it does not include Texas. That's just the way it is.
Check the map...and the history...and you'll find out differently. This isn't simply an opinion thing - it's historical fact.

Anyway, the thread isn't about whether Texas is part of some historical, outdated regional reference area. It's about something much more ridiculous...the "mentality" of the entire state vs. the "mentality" of the entire South. There is no way either place has a overall general mentality.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:52 PM

737 posts, read 1,172,279 times
Quote:
"Rust Belt" isn't an official region of the U.S. - Northeast and West ARE regions of the U.S. On that same note, "Deep South" isn't a region of the U.S.

"Sun Belt", "Bible Belt", "Rust Belt", "Deep South" are terms used to lump a large area of the U.S. together by some unflattering (and questionable) characteristics. If this weren't true, why would people from Texas argue so vehemently that they aren't part of it?
By unflattering characteristics? Like what? Take the "rust belt", how is it "unflattering" for it to be where auto manufacturing and the steel industry were much more prevalent than other parts of the country?

How is the "sun belt" used in an unflattering manner? Because it is has more mild winters and longer summers?

I would argue as vehemently that Iowa is not part of the rust belt and that Kansas isn't part of the sun belt. So the point you're trying to make isn't true.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.