Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2009, 10:45 AM

7,845 posts, read 20,805,239 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
A red state loony is a person who uses coded phrases like "I want my country back". Red state loonies stand outside town hall meetings with automatic rifles, and attend tea parties protesting tax increases that probably wouldnt even affect their tax bracket anyway. Red state loonies do things like start petitions to secede from the USA, and take their children out of school on the day the President makes a speech about staying in school. I could go on and on. And how is he/she different than a blue state loony? Well I dont know LD, I live in a red state just like you
Just because you live in a majority red state (and not by a large margin I might add) doesn't mean that the state doesn't have it's share of loonies on both sides. Red states have plenty of left-wing radicals, and blue states have plenty of right-wing radicals...they just aren't the statistical majority.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2009, 10:51 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Just because you live in a majority red state (and not by a large margin I might add) doesn't mean that the state doesn't have it's share of loonies on both sides. Red states have plenty of left-wing radicals, and blue states have plenty of right-wing radicals...they just aren't the statistical majority.

I agree, and your right, GA barely is a red state. But IMO red state loonies are a bit more up in your face. Aside from the pro-life crowd, you really dont see may blue state loonies pull the kind of stunts and demonstrations some of those red state nut balls have pulled

Old 11-02-2009, 11:13 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,206,894 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by youngMichaelJackson View Post
I agree, and your right, GA barely is a red state. But IMO red state loonies are a bit more up in your face. Aside from the pro-life crowd, you really dont see may blue state loonies pull the kind of stunts and demonstrations some of those red state nut balls have pulled
PETA lol

Old 11-02-2009, 11:39 AM

815 posts, read 2,136,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
PETA lol

LOL. I forgot about them, they for sure go under blue state loonies.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:24 PM

15 posts, read 59,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post

I saw plenty of people in Houston wearing those huge hats while driving, which I thought was hilarious. You won't convince me that I didn't see that.
Why are they hilarious? Go stop someone and tell them you think he looks hilarious.

Apart from the three weeks of Rodeo Houston, I will personally drive around the ENTIRE 600 square mile Houston Metro area and give you $50 for EVERY Cowboy hat you happen to see worn by drivers on the roads. I can safely make this challenge because I know its a SAFE bet and you might see maybe 2 or 3 the whole day. I drive all over Houston every day and NEVER see a Cowboy hat. Not that I have something against them, I think they are cool. But my point is they are another stupid, boring STEREOTYPE of Houston.

Old 12-23-2009, 04:28 PM

1,712 posts, read 3,102,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Gribble View Post
Why are they hilarious? Go stop someone and tell them you think he looks hilarious.

Apart from the three weeks of Rodeo Houston, I will personally drive around the ENTIRE 600 square mile Houston Metro area and give you $50 for EVERY Cowboy hat you happen to see worn by drivers on the roads. I can safely make this challenge because I know its a SAFE bet and you might see maybe 2 or 3 the whole day. I drive all over Houston every day and NEVER see a Cowboy hat. Not that I have something against them, I think they are cool. But my point is they are another stupid, boring STEREOTYPE of Houston.

I have seen very few cowboy hats while driving around here as well.

Old 10-21-2014, 06:24 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by machiavelli1 View Post

I have seen very few cowboy hats while driving around here as well.

Friday and Saturday nights, that number my go up.
Get away from Houston, and you will see more, but not in masses. Just someone working outside and keeping the sun off of them.
I actually see more small sombreros, being worn by ranch hands.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:59 AM

1,534 posts, read 2,771,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by solytaire View Post
All jokes aside, me being a born and raised Texan has little to do with my initial inquiry...too, I dont think Texas' unique culture has as much to do with my question either. I would just like to know why Texas' prior allegiances distinguish it from the south whereas Mississippi, or Louisiana's, or VA's past allegiances and their residual cultures, dont exclude them from the south.
The difference for me is that Texas's ties to Mexico are not just historical or residual. They are historical and living and ongoing and increasing. It is not like France forms the largest border of Louisiana, and thousands of French people move back and forth from France to Louisiana, and have done so for the last 150 years. Drive through any big city in Texas and you are going to see plenty Mexican license plates. Mexico is Texas's biggest trading partner and has been for a long time. There is a long and mostly uninterrupted shared history between Texas and Mexico like there is nowhere in the South. And it is a Mexican influence, not so much a latin influence and a northern Mexico influence at that. The impact of Mexican American culture on the state culture of Texas is way bigger than anywhere else, except perhaps for California and the impact is of a longer duration in Texas. Nearly all the great Mexican-American literature of the early part of the twentieth century comes from south Texas, plus Tex-Mex food, Tejano music etc. San Antonio has been a center for Mariachi bands since the 1920s. There are 11 Mexican consulates in Texas, the highest number for any state in the U.S. Texas's relationship with Mexico cannot really be characterized as one of "prior allegiances."

Texas is a huge and demographically, culturally and topographically diverse state with many influences. Anywhere behind the Pine curtain - Rural and small town/city East Texas as well as the golden triangle area in southeast Texas - is easily and correctly characterized as southern. However, all the big cities are over a third Latino, overwhelmingly of Mexican heritage: San Antonio over 60%, El Paso 80%, Houston 45%, Dallas 43%, Austin 42%, Fort Worth 37%. The State as a whole is close to 40% Latino/Hispanic, and I suspect that these numbers are actually a little low given the difficulties census data has with Latino populations.

While I think there are other factors that distinguish a Texas mentality from a Southern one- however such nebulous terms can be defined, Texas is absolutely NOT demographically a Southern state. Texas is one of 4 majority minority states in the US, along with CA, NM and HI. While the Latino population is growing quickly all over the U.S., no (other) Southern state is likely to see these kind of numbers in my lifetime and even if one did, it would not have the long history and character of Texas as a border state. Texas might have been more of a southern state at certain moments in its history, but right now I think it is Texas's southernness that presents as "prior allegiances" and "residual cultures."

Old 10-21-2014, 01:01 PM

5,365 posts, read 6,335,752 times
Texas to me always seemed so much more in tune with mainstream America. Much more worldly as well. Now I have only experienced Dallas and Houston but that was my impression. Atlanta is so much different than the Texas cities.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:02 PM

89 posts, read 128,570 times
Most of Texas is Southern. End of story.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.