Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2009, 01:07 PM

10,261 posts, read 12,505,983 times

Advertisements

Hi,

What are the difference between the south mentality and Texas mentality ?

Are there any similtarities ?

Thoughts.Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2009, 02:24 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,194,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Hi,

Thoughts.Thanks
Lots of similarities, but Texans are more prideful, progressive, and the state as a whole is more diverse and international than anywhere else in the south. In other words; we're more exposed to different cultures and ethnic groups.

Old 10-24-2009, 02:24 PM

5,888 posts, read 13,001,177 times
too much Texas Pride in Texas. Way too many braggarts and rednecks. The act like no one else exists, especially if you are from New York.

Southerners come across as cordial, low keyed and polite (unless you are at a football game).

Old 10-24-2009, 02:50 PM

737 posts, read 1,176,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DinsdalePirahna View Post
too much Texas Pride in Texas. Way too many braggarts and rednecks. The act like no one else exists, especially if you are from New York.

Southerners come across as cordial, low keyed and polite (unless you are at a football game).
Some Texans don't necessarily act as if New Yorkers don't exist. They just act as if the existence of New Yorkers doesn't matter.

Old 10-24-2009, 03:39 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by french paris View Post
Hi,

Thoughts.Thanks
Not much really. Texans are more prideful, but they're still about being polite and saying yes/no mam or yes/no sir.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:30 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
It's in the food.

Texas has bigger steaks and goes heavy on the pepper. Men are men. Also, I was surprised by the eatin'/dancin' family places. I like Dallas and Mesquite (rodeo) and nearby Oklahoma. Texas heat and Austin, not so much.

If I were a libertarian, I'd choose Texas. If I was a conservative, I'd choose other Southern states.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:44 AM

13,384 posts, read 25,728,228 times
One of the biggest differences is that Texas is heavily influenced by Latin and Central American culture (Mexico especially). The South really isnt.

Old 10-27-2009, 12:02 PM

634 posts, read 1,447,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
It's in the food.

Texas has bigger steaks and goes heavy on the pepper. Men are men. Also, I was surprised by the eatin'/dancin' family places. I like Dallas and Mesquite (rodeo) and nearby Oklahoma. Texas heat and Austin, not so much.

If I were a libertarian, I'd choose Texas. If I was a conservative, I'd choose other Southern states.

What, exactly, does this mean? Seriously . . . I'm not following . . .

Old 10-27-2009, 12:21 PM

374 posts, read 812,189 times
I've heard this saying in Arkansas: "The only thing worse than a Yankee is a Texan." I think a lot of people from other Southern states view Texans as arrogant. When the Texans in my family come up for the family reunion...It's plain to see that they are a different breed of cat. They are more...urban oriented perhaps, because of the proximity of the larger Texas cities (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio). For example, the kids from Texas were wearing "skater" (I guess this is the term, although I am not familiar with this style) clothes, the large colorful sneakers and dyed black hair, ect., and listened to popular Punk Rock (?) music. The kids from Arkansas wore a lot of camouflage, cowboy boots, listened to Country and Western music, ect. Perhaps it has something to do with the increasing urbanization of Texas and influx of mainstream American culture and transplants to the region, while much of the rest of the neighboring South remains largely rural. Places like Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, and Oklahoma (If you include this state in your definition of the South) are probably the least influenced Southern states by transplants, though certainly portions of those states are also becoming more urban-oriented.

Old 10-27-2009, 03:52 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,579,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ark90 View Post
I've heard this saying in Arkansas: "The only thing worse than a Yankee is a Texan." I think a lot of people from other Southern states view Texans as arrogant. When the Texans in my family come up for the family reunion...It's plain to see that they are a different breed of cat. They are more...urban oriented perhaps, because of the proximity of the larger Texas cities (Dallas, Houston, Austin, San Antonio). For example, the kids from Texas were wearing "skater" (I guess this is the term, although I am not familiar with this style) clothes, the large colorful sneakers and dyed black hair, ect., and listened to popular Punk Rock (?) music. The kids from Arkansas wore a lot of camouflage, cowboy boots, listened to Country and Western music, ect. Perhaps it has something to do with the increasing urbanization of Texas and influx of mainstream American culture and transplants to the region, while much of the rest of the neighboring South remains largely rural. Places like Arkansas, Mississippi, Alabama, Kentucky, and Oklahoma (If you include this state in your definition of the South) are probably the least influenced Southern states by transplants, though certainly portions of those states are also becoming more urban-oriented.
There are plenty of Texans that still do this, even where I am. You're right, I guess those closer to the city tend to dress different than your typical southern attire, but not always.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.