Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 04:53 PM

12,385 posts, read 28,391,021 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
New York City winters are pretty mild; there's absolutely no reason why anyone should reconsider a move to NYC based upon the weather.
To each their own I suppose.

Old 10-27-2009, 05:01 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,551,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
New York City winters are pretty mild; there's absolutely no reason why anyone should reconsider a move to NYC based upon the weather.
Unless of course they don't like the cold or snow or sleet.

While it might be mild to you it is still going to be cold to someone that does not like the cold.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:04 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,602,793 times
Default I used to work in Rockefeller Center

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Unless of course they don't like the cold or snow or sleet.

While it might be mild to you it is still going to be cold to someone that does not like the cold.
I lived on 21st between 7th and 8th Avenue. I walked from there to 23rd to take the subway. When I got to the station at Rockefeller Center, I walked underground from the subway to the plaza to the building where I worked. If I didn't want to got outside for lunch, there were plenty of restaurants, shops, etc., in the underground complex where I could go. I didn't even have to put on a COAT in the winter to go eat lunch or go shopping. When it came time to go home, I just went from my building through the plaza to the subway. I only had to walk "2 blocks" from the subway to my apartment. BRRRRRR. ROFL

How about that for "freezing cold NYC" winters? ROFL Never had to shovel snow, dig out a car (didn't own or drive one), etc. I actually used to go out in the middle of the night (from BED) just to walk around in the SNOW. Of course, now I am in HEAVEN ON EARTH FLORIDA with 90s heat and humidity. Ahh, eat your heart out, people. Sarcasm off.

Old 10-27-2009, 06:24 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,551,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
I lived on 21st between 7th and 8th Avenue. I walked from there to 23rd to take the subway. When I got to the station at Rockefeller Center, I walked underground from the subway to the plaza to the building where I worked. If I didn't want to got outside for lunch, there were plenty of restaurants, shops, etc., in the underground complex where I could go. I didn't even have to put on a COAT in the winter to go eat lunch or go shopping. When it came time to go home, I just went from my building through the plaza to the subway. I only had to walk "2 blocks" from the subway to my apartment. BRRRRRR. ROFL

How about that for "freezing cold NYC" winters? ROFL Never had to shovel snow, dig out a car (didn't own or drive one), etc. I actually used to go out in the middle of the night (from BED) just to walk around in the SNOW. Of course, now I am in HEAVEN ON EARTH FLORIDA with 90s heat and humidity. Ahh, eat your heart out, people. Sarcasm off.
You do realize that to about 99.9% of others living in NYC your story means nothing, right?

The majority of those in NYC live in the outlying boroughs, about 80% of the population. Many have a much longer walk, many have to wait for a bus, many work in a building that does not have a subway station under it and many work outside.

Unless you can get everyone that wants to move to NYC an apartment where you used to have one, at a reasonable rate and then get them a job in RKF Center your story really is useless.

I could give my trip to work experience here from when I lived up there. It would be completely different from yours and just as useless.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:32 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,288,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Spring & Fall make winter worth it.

Oh and there was a website posted before comparing cities climates.

New York City IS NOT better in terms of weather than say Columbus, OH or Cincinnati. It's actually pretty darn close to the same as Cleveland. I don't know why people think NYC has so much better weather then cities in the midwest, when it really doesn't.
More hours of sun, warmer.

Old 10-27-2009, 07:51 PM

9,103 posts, read 13,122,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jcx456 View Post
In my opinion I think New York City is the greatest city in the U.S but i also dislike cold weather, ice, snowstorms, overcast days etc. So what i am trying to find out is, in your opinion is NYC with all that it offers worth the bad weather from late fall to spring, considering there are other big cities which offer alot like LA, San Francisco, Miami, and Houston that all have what i would consider to be nice weather year round?
Its a matter of opinion I think. By Northern standards NYC does not have terribly hard winters. Some winters (usually El Nino winters) there is hardly any snow. But if coastal New York City gets a Nor'easter, watch out! A single storm can produce more than 25 inches of snow. Major blizzards like the Blizzard of 1888 can produce up to 50 inches of snow! Still someone from Buffalo or Syracuse would say "whats the big deal about that"!

Some people are miserable with any cold weather. Not even the mild winters in the Upper South. Like some older or less physically fit people find anything under X degrees to be too uncomfortable for them.

For me I like the winter. So to each his own I say.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:10 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,602,793 times
Default I lived in Queens for 10 years too

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
You do realize that to about 99.9% of others living in NYC your story means nothing, right?

The majority of those in NYC live in the outlying boroughs, about 80% of the population. Many have a much longer walk, many have to wait for a bus, many work in a building that does not have a subway station under it and many work outside.

Unless you can get everyone that wants to move to NYC an apartment where you used to have one, at a reasonable rate and then get them a job in RKF Center your story really is useless.

I could give my trip to work experience here from when I lived up there. It would be completely different from yours and just as useless.
Half that time I didn't know how to drive. I WALKED my daughter to school a mile and a half away. Yep, in COLD AND SNOW.

This is supposed to be a thread about NY winter weather. I suppose talking abolut walking a mile and a half in a blizzard in Queens would be pointless too? Unless, of course, I was saying how MISERABLE it was, right? That IS the point? NY weather is awful. THEN you would think it relevant. I don't agree.

Forget it. I spent 58 years in NY; 28 in Manhattan(apartments with parents and without), 10 in Queens (apartment and house), 20 on LI (house). Been there, done that. My life in NY was VERY varied so I feel qualified to comment on NY weather, from all aspects.

Sorry, I don't agree that where I now live in SO MUCH better.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:33 PM

2,745 posts, read 6,439,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeSoHood View Post
Spring & Fall make winter worth it.

Oh and there was a website posted before comparing cities climates.

New York City IS NOT better in terms of weather than say Columbus, OH or Cincinnati. It's actually pretty darn close to the same as Cleveland. I don't know why people think NYC has so much better weather then cities in the midwest, when it really doesn't.
NYC winters are mild relative to cities at similar latitude further west. Outside of an occasional cold snap, temperatures rarely drop much below freezing (below 20F) at night and are usually above freezing during the day (sometimes well above freezing even). Even on coldest days, temperatures below 0 F are extremely rare.

Cincinnati is the one of the southernmost Midwestern cities and it still has January lows lower than NYC's. NYC is also sunnier.

The only thing I would complain about is the length of the season, not severity. Snow is not unheard of in NYC even in April. I always get a little impatient when I hear about cherry blossoms blooming in Washington DC while we still have snow.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:00 PM

7,053 posts, read 19,214,957 times
I moved to the area from "the South" and I have to say the winters here aren't nearly as bad as I feared. I actually enjoy Winter (until March, then I'm over it and ready for Spring to come already). But overall I don't find it intolerable. The weather is constantly fluctuating during winter. Some days are bitter cold. Some days are mild, even warm. A 60-degree day is not unheard of in January. Sometimes it snows, but usually an inch, two, maybe four inches at a time, and then it's all gone a day or two later. A foot or two of snow could fall at once, but it's rare. It has happened once in the 6 yrs I've been here. NYC streets get messy with snow and slush during a storm, but sidewalks are generally cleared almost immediately afterward. Most of the winter season is snow-free and ice-free though.

Things I like about Winter in NYC:
The Holiday season
Occasional snow
Scarves (I like them)
No worries of shoveling, driving, etc.

Things I don't like about Winter in NYC:
Everyone on the subway becomes twice as big (layered clothing and big coats)
Slushy streets
Winter isn't "all that cold" but it lasts pretty long. April snow is possible.

Advice:
I think a big part of being able to tolerate or even enjoy Winter is to know how to dress for it. Being dressed insufficiently can make you freeze/miserable. Wear lots of layers, including long underwear, warm-wool socks. Lots of people think a big coat is all they need, but one big puffy coat over a t-shirt won't do as well as a shirt, a sweater, and a well-fitting wool coat. If you feel cold, you're not wearing enough layers. Get boots to help you walk through snow and slush. Take up a fun winter sport like ice skating or skiing so you can get outside and enjoy Winter. I enjoy bicycling, and actually do as much of it during Winter as during Summer. As I said, most of the Winter is snow-free and ice-free. And if being out in the cold just isn't working for you, use Winter as your time to catch up on the museums and shows.

Old 10-27-2009, 09:14 PM

594 posts, read 1,193,108 times
New York City has not bad winters at all. More than half of the winter days brings bright sunshine ;]. SNOW/ICE? Maybe once or twice a year, nothing to worry about. COLD? Yes, it's around freezing point, but it's still mild during day which stays above freezing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.