Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 11:53 AM

8,489 posts, read 20,641,705 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
Central Park has not had an "inch or two" multiple times this year; I don't know where you got this information..

It also doesn't matter if someone has spent one weekend or 20 years in NYC; the snow cover is minimal, the windchill negligible, the overall winter experience is mild.

The original poster wanted to know if NYC was " worth the weather change", and I'm trying to emphasize that it's not the extreme change that he/she thinks it is. If someone from Florida is planning a move to Minnesota, then weather is an important consideration; but going from Florida to NYC, the weather implications are minimal.
I got my information from the National Weather Service.
Recent Snowstorms

1/11 1"
1/15 1"
1/19 2.2"
1/28 3"
2/4 4.3"
3/1 8"

That to me looks like over an inch multiple times and there are still 2 months left in the year. The outer boroughs, where over 80% of the people in NYC live generally get more.

You also must not have read what the OP posted though since he did not ask if it was "worth the weather change". He asked if it was "worth the bad weather" because he "dislike cold weather, ice, snowstorms, overcast days etc.".

Once again let me reiterate, to you an inch or 2 of snow and 30 degrees may not be a big deal and may be considered a mild winter. To someone that dislikes cold, snow and ice it very well may be a huge deal.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:57 AM

18,982 posts, read 32,651,109 times
I gotta agree, while NYC winters will seem mild to a lot of people who live in colder, traditional 4 season type climates it will be cold and harsh for a lot of people who hate any type of cold weather. I even complain about how "cold" it gets in Southern CA during winter.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:13 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,915,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Recent Snowstorms

1/11 1"
1/15 1"
1/19 2.2"
1/28 3"
2/4 4.3"
3/1 8"

That to me looks like over an inch multiple times and there are still 2 months left in the year. The outer boroughs, where over 80% of the people in NYC live generally get more.

You also must not have read what the OP posted though since he did not ask if it was "worth the weather change". He asked if it was "worth the bad weather" because he "dislike cold weather, ice, snowstorms, overcast days etc.".

Once again let me reiterate, to you an inch or 2 of snow and 30 degrees may not be a big deal and may be considered a mild winter. To someone that dislikes cold, snow and ice it very well may be a huge deal.
..I'm not talking about LAST winter; we've had a little snow here in MA THIS winter (2009-10), so that's my standard of comparison.

I'll let the OP decide what appropriate to him/her. I Do know that a few days of relatively "unpleasant" weather should not deter someone, if the opportunity is right. AGAIN, this person is not moving to Outer Siberia, just to the Mid-Atlantic. Most of the time (>90%), the streets will be clear, the ice will have melted (by natural means, or salt, or traffic), and there will be few, if any, problems.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:16 PM

4,429 posts, read 10,362,777 times
Quote:
Central Park had an inch or more of snow, what, 6 or 7 times this year so far?
Since I spend a lot of time in both areas (Florida and the Tri-State area)…let me be fair and say this…

Often folks down in Florida and the south below around Richmond… do seem to hype the snow in the NYC area to a great deal. I have even noticed this on TV channels in South Florida when I’m there: There could be a ragging blizzard in Chicago, Denver (like what’s going on right now) or Flagstaff, AZ…and the media has no interest. Tell them NYC, Philly, New Jersey, Connecticut, Maryland …etc may get 2 inches of snow…they send reporters “live” to cover the story (lol).

The same can be said for the “light” snowfall a few weeks ago in the Northeast: I was down in Florida…and saw the papers and TV with bold headlines saying snow in the Northeast”. Only high elevation, far interior locations had any real measures snow ( like 1 or 2 inches). Northeast cities like NYC, Trenton, NJ, Baltimore, Philly, …got zero snow…and to date have seen zero snowfall so far this fall (which is quite normal).

I guess my point is… you always have to be weary when they mention snow and the I-95 corridor. AccuWeather and the Weather Channel are perhaps the biggest joke out there in accurate reporting. Anyway I posted the latest NWS daily report to show you NYC has had 0 snowfall so far this fall. (Click NYC-October 2009)

National Weather Service Climate

Old 10-28-2009, 12:24 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,108,718 times
Folks, like most threads in General US that ask for opinions, this is an example of a thread where it's more important to be helpful than to be right. Please focus more on making your opinions helpful and stop focusing on whether someone else's opinion is flawed in some way. The OP is capable of taking opinions offered here, putting them with information acquired elsewhere and determining which s/he wants to believe. Your role in this thread is to be helpful, not authoritative.

In other words: offer your opinion, answer clarifying questions from the OP and move on.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
I gotta agree, while NYC winters will seem mild to a lot of people who live in colder, traditional 4 season type climates it will be cold and harsh for a lot of people who hate any type of cold weather. I even complain about how "cold" it gets in Southern CA during winter.
Although Sav58 and I have sparred over many things…this may be one post I can agree with.

Cold/winter is relative to where you’re from and what you’re using too. Someone in Salt St. Marie, MI or Green Bay, WI might think a winter in NYC or Baltimore is a breeze…and the same time someone from Charleston, SC or LA thinks it’s the polar ice cap. At the same time, someone used to a winter in Lauderdale or Jupiter (like me) thinks a place like LA or Charleston is “freezing” in winter.

So there is some relativity to it...

Old 10-28-2009, 12:31 PM

Quote:
Recent Snowstorms

1/11 1"
1/15 1"
1/19 2.2"
1/28 3"
2/4 4.3"
3/1 8"

Honestly, I think he though you were talking about this fall so far…I did too.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Folks, like most threads in General US that ask for opinions, this is an example of a thread where it's more important to be helpful than to be right. Please focus more on making your opinions helpful and stop focusing on whether someone else's opinion is flawed in some way. The OP is capable of taking opinions offered here, putting them with information acquired elsewhere and determining which s/he wants to believe. Your role in this thread is to be helpful, not authoritative.

In other words: offer your opinion, answer clarifying questions from the OP and move on.
This is so true...because in the end it is a personal perspective that will be the deciding factor in where to move...not what it others think.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassVt View Post
..I'm not talking about LAST winter; we've had a little snow here in MA THIS winter (2009-10), so that's my standard of comparison.

I'll let the OP decide what appropriate to him/her. I Do know that a few days of relatively "unpleasant" weather should not deter someone, if the opportunity is right. AGAIN, this person is not moving to Outer Siberia, just to the Mid-Atlantic. Most of the time (>90%), the streets will be clear, the ice will have melted (by natural means, or salt, or traffic), and there will be few, if any, problems.
Sorry, since you said "this year" I gave snowfall for this year so far.

Are you trying to tell me that NYC only gets snow 1 or 2 times a year? I gave the snowfall for Jan. and Feb. 2009 since winter has not started yet. I didn't think the snowfall totals for Autumn 2009 would be very helpful.

Yes, the OP will decide what is best for them but what do you feel is going to be more helpful in making that decision?

Someone posting statistics regarding the weather or someone giving their opinion on what is and isn't mild weather.

Old 10-28-2009, 12:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavehunter007 View Post
Anyway I posted the latest NWS daily report to show you NYC has had 0 snowfall so far this fall. (Click NYC-October 2009)

National Weather Service Climate

The average yearly snowfall for NYC is over 22", I think this would be of more interest to the OP than the snowfall in the fall.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.