Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 05:30 PM

15,585 posts, read 27,430,130 times

Advertisements

Cool map. Do you know if there is a more recent one?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 07:38 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,282,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
Very suprised to see the traffic levels between San Antonio, Austin, and Dallas, as well as the San Diego/LA route....

Why would people make those commutes so often?
It's not that there are very many people commuting all the way from SD to LA or vice versa. It's that there are people commuting from SD to Oceanside, some others from Oceanside to Laguna Niguel, some from LG to Irvine, and ones overlapping those and ones shorter, and so on. All those passenger miles add up and create the overall statistic.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:00 PM

21,517 posts, read 30,922,140 times
I-95 between Manhattan and New Haven, CT is a *nightmare*. I've even heard Californians complain!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:15 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
This map gives an idea why I think the Washington DC area is one of the few areas that has worse traffic than the L.I.E. on Long Island!

A couple of points.

Southern New England: Connecticut and Massachusetts seem to have more than its fair share of traffic (at least according to this map) considering their population. Especially suprising since they have good rail transportation. Compare Boston to Philadelphia for instance.

California: Considering the population there does not seem to be too much traffic between San Francisco and Los Angeles. This can a good thing for California --- hopefully large parts of Central California will never be developed.

Pacific Northwest: In contrast to California, note how Portland, Seattle and even Vancouver are growing toward one another.

Florida: Been a while since I been down there but I just wanted to say I think that pink line going across southern Florida might be Alligator Alley!

Old 10-27-2009, 08:17 PM

9,098 posts, read 13,113,729 times
Also alot of cities seem to be strategically located on the Interstate network. Cities like Dallas-Fort Worth, Columbus, Atlanta, Indianopolis, Minneapolis, Washington DC, etc.

Old 10-27-2009, 08:29 PM

6,333 posts, read 11,491,519 times
You can take out your eraser and remove the line that is I-40 between TN and NC. Because of the rock slide the traffic is down to 0 for the next several weeks.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:39 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
8,018 posts, read 7,404,469 times
Funny how I-95 is dark red from Richmond Va all the way to Boston!

Old 10-28-2009, 06:53 AM

4,277 posts, read 11,714,657 times
Interesting to see that Harrisburg has a red knot typical of a city 10x its size. And mostly on 2-lanes each way not like some others.

Old 10-28-2009, 02:22 PM

1,018 posts, read 4,095,085 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
Also alot of cities seem to be strategically located on the Interstate network. Cities like Dallas-Fort Worth, Columbus, Atlanta, Indianopolis, Minneapolis, Washington DC, etc.
Yeah, it's almost like they built the interstates to go between major metropolitan areas. Spooky.

Old 10-28-2009, 04:08 PM

12,823 posts, read 24,282,550 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
This map gives an idea why I think the Washington DC area is one of the few areas that has worse traffic than the L.I.E. on Long Island!

A couple of points.

Southern New England: Connecticut and Massachusetts seem to have more than its fair share of traffic (at least according to this map) considering their population. Especially suprising since they have good rail transportation. Compare Boston to Philadelphia for instance.

California: Considering the population there does not seem to be too much traffic between San Francisco and Los Angeles. This can a good thing for California --- hopefully large parts of Central California will never be developed.

Pacific Northwest: In contrast to California, note how Portland, Seattle and even Vancouver are growing toward one another.

Florida: Been a while since I been down there but I just wanted to say I think that pink line going across southern Florida might be Alligator Alley!
Many people fly between LA and SF. Gas out here costs well north of $3 / gallon of 87 octane. So relatively, flying is not that expensive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.