Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-05-2010, 12:38 PM

132 posts, read 225,434 times

Advertisements

So! I'm calling upon all of the city-data forum goers for some kind suggestions as to relocation. A brief background to help you understand more of what we're looking for.

My fiance and I will be moving this June. She'll be graduating with her degree, and we are ready to relocate. We're currently in rural Northwest Ohio, where it is cold, boring and particularly depressing.

We're 23 and would both like to move somewhere that is nice, but also provides stability and future flexibility. We don't want kids or anything for a while (5+) years, and will mostly be focusing on enjoying our lives together for a while.

She will be looking for a job as an Art Teacher (I know -- essentially impossible), and I will be attending Grad School online and finding supplementary work at the entry level for any kind of corporation. Eventually, I would like to work in Archive and Research Management, which is a glorified way of saying "Fancy Librarian". Contrary to popular belief, this is a relatively competitive and open field for people with the smarts and paperwork to find themselves a job there. For the time being though, I'll answer phones just about anywhere while I'm still in school.

We've spent the last month or so looking at places in the country that would be nice for us to relocate to. The problem has been, that when we've got down to it and researched each location, the overwhelming response tends to be, "It sucks here. Oh, and it sucks there too. A teacher you say? Move to Mississippi."

Well we don't want to move to Mississippi. And we are also aware that everyone everywhere feels as thought where they live sucks. But certainly, it must suck someplace less than it sucks in the others. Below, I've compiled a list of things in specific order of importance to us:

1) Weather - I know, I know. People will be quick to say, while weather is nice, it's not everything. But I am from Western New York, and she from Nowhere, Ohio, and so we have lived in the cold, wet, drab snow belt for our entire lives. We want to move to a place where it is nice in both the summer and winter. Great weather as often as possible is important to us -- more important than anything else.

2) Job Opportunities - While it's pretty much impossible for an Art Teacher to get a job as an Art Teacher straight away right now, without subbing first, one thing we also want to consider is fall back jobs. If she/I can't get jobs doing what we want with our degree, we would at least like to live in a place where there is enough work that we can get steady jobs doing something else besides flipping burgers.

3) Local Life - While we are young (23), and thus the predominant suggestion from many people tends to be that we would like places that are jam-packed with dance clubs, drinking holes, music halls and good eats, which are much older in spirit than in age. We like things like historical sites, national parks, hiking trails. We like it to be quiet early. We like, with the exception of a fast food joint or two, for the town to shut down at a reasonable hour. We prefer the calmness of a family environment, not the excitement of a 20-something hot spot. Also, scenery would be nice. Living in an area of the world with a nice view -- be it a cityscape or a landscape, would be great. No offense to my fellow Ohioans, but the lack of rolling hills or even rolling buildings here can, at times, be sort of depressing. The flatness sucks.

4) Cost of Living - While it would be great to pack our bags tomorrow and shuffle off to D.C. or something, the fact of the matter is, there are lots of places in the country that are simply too impractical and/or expensive to live. Living in the future off two likely-modest incomes means that places with very high rent rates or property values isn't going to cut it. Now this doesn't mean we're trying to move on *no* money. We have about $12,000 saved, in addition to working wages and housing from student loan, so we have money to make an appropriate move, but only *once* (we don't want to hate the place and have to move again in a year), and only to a place that would be sustainable.

5) Culture/Entertainment - As aforementioned. We don't really want a lot of loud bars/distractions. We don't need to be in a hot spot for young people, because we're not necessarily typical young people. But we do like our entertainment. Having lots museums (art/history) nearby (within an hour or two) would be great. I also like professional sports, and so being within decent travel time (no more than 3 or 4 hours) to a pro sports city would also be a welcome commodity. These things, of course, are not necessities, but luxuries.

--

We are concerned with School District only to the extent that it may impact her job, and so living right next to a quality SD may not be as important as living close enough to some that are commutable.

Ideally, we'd like to spend between $700 and $900 per month on rent, with $1100 being the absolute ceiling. Our plan is to rent for a year or two in a place, assure ourselves that we like it and that we have secure jobs, and then start building toward buying a home.

So! We've looked at tons of places. Arizona...Texas predominantly. Everyone we've talked to, and all the people we've read on these boards, have more complaints than they do anything else about where they are. I understand that it's up to us to investigate further where we'd like to live based on these criteria, but I figured maybe some other posters here would have some suggestions as to where we may like to look. I'm not looking for anyone to do any of the work for us, just looking for some ideas of places to consider.

Thanks for reading.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2010, 12:58 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Ironically, the school I teach in in NYC is in dire need of an Art teacher, lol. Don't know if you're interested in living in NYC or Long Island though.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:06 PM

We're not, unfortunately. NYC has lots of positives, but the cost of living, relatively cold winters and high paced environment are all things we would like to do without. Also not really fond of the NY Public transit system.

Plus, it's the opposite direction (South!) Of where the warm stuff is. Thanks for the tip though. NYC is up there in terms of hiring teachers, that's for sure!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:10 PM

2,515 posts, read 5,022,043 times
The places with the nicest year-round weather would be San Diego and Hawaii.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
The places with the nicest year-round weather would be San Diego and Hawaii.
Thanks Rob. Unfortunately San Diego and Hawaii fall drastically short in most of the other categories of importance. San Diego, particularly, with cost of living and job stability.

Consider if each of the 5 categories listed above were assigned a point value 1-10. I'd rather have a bunch of 7's for a total of 35, then a place with a 10 and a bunch of 2's for a total of 18. That sort of thing.

If we had all the money in the world, jobs were of no concern, and so on, I'm sure we'd all be living in San Diego or Hawaii!

Old 02-05-2010, 01:46 PM

93,191 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Texas would seem to be your best bet. Austin, Houston or San Antonio might be some places to consider.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:28 PM

4,277 posts, read 11,780,009 times
The Harrisburg, PA area might be someplace that might not come first to mind for many folks. Considerably sunnier and generally warmer than central NY. We have plenty of hiking trails within 45 minutes, 3 pro sports markets within 2 hours, but much more affordable rent or purchase-wise. We have a sweeping mile-wide island and rock filled river emerging from the mountains just above the city limits and flowing into a neat gorge below the metro. Can hop an electric train for a day visit to Philadelphia or (long) even NYC. History - within two hours can see anything from mines to forests to Revolutionary to Civil War battles (Gettysburg within 45 min). While there are youthful action/club oriented transitional urban neighborhoods there are also many more small towns enveloped by the metro (Hummelstown, Mechanicsburg, Middletown, Hershey) that are quiet low crime havens with Victorian and older homes and a mix of owner-occupied and rental. As for the weather, well it does get cold but doesn't stay that way as long as in upstate or downstate NY, it does get hot but not so much as the South, it does get humid but again not as much as the Southeast. Between the Penn State medical school, the state, and some corporate presence it's not totally out of the picture for trained archivists to find work in the field - my wife's locally headquartered Fortune 500 company employs a few.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:59 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,546,133 times
I only know statistics, I'm not well-traveled. So there's this.

Kiplinger.com

There are some towns in North Carolina and Texas that may fit, but NC might be too cold or have too much crime. Huntsville, Alabama has gotten a good deal of good press of late. It looks to be a fairly conservative county, but it's got plenty of academics so maybe not too "bad." (To me conservative isn't bad at all, but for most who come here it is)

Old 02-05-2010, 04:49 PM

8,900 posts, read 15,926,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutumnFOG View Post
We're not, unfortunately. NYC has lots of positives, but the cost of living, relatively cold winters and high paced environment are all things we would like to do without. Also not really fond of the NY Public transit system.

Plus, it's the opposite direction (South!) Of where the warm stuff is. Thanks for the tip though. NYC is up there in terms of hiring teachers, that's for sure!

Actually, the whole city is on a hiring freeze. But if you know someone and they know openings (which there aren't many, but in this cases there's openings in my school) then you can get hired. Trust me, there are tons of applicants for just 1 teaching job in the city nowadays.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.