Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2009, 03:51 PM

30 posts, read 85,824 times

Advertisements

I am planning to move to the US from Sweden next year. I will be attending a college, most likely SBCC. But unfortunately the tuition fee is very high (about $205 per unit) for international students. Therefor I am looking for alternative colleges which have the fewest months of residency required to qualify as an in-state resident.

I have also heard that it is not possible to become an resident with the F-1 visa (student visa). Anyone that can confirm this and also tell me if there is any way to get through this potential problem?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2009, 10:06 PM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 38,098,960 times
FWIW, they're probably all going to be similar, as in-state discounts are designed to provide a benefit to the taxpayers of that state, whose taxes have been funding the college/university programs. Having the easiest residency requirements won't be popular with the voters of whatever state has them.

Old 10-27-2009, 10:48 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,575 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.k. View Post
I am planning to move to the US from Sweden next year. I will be attending a college, most likely SBCC. But unfortunately the tuition fee is very high (about $205 per unit) for international students. Therefor I am looking for alternative colleges which have the fewest months of residency required to qualify as an in-state resident.

I have also heard that it is not possible to become an resident with the F-1 visa (student visa). Anyone that can confirm this and also tell me if there is any way to get through this potential problem?
1. You will never recieve in-state tuition on a F-1 Visa.

2. Only public schools offer in-state tuition, private schools charge the same amount to everyone (sometimes a bit more to international students though).

If you have any other questions, send me a direct message. I'm in my last year of college and have numerous friends who are on an F-1 Visa.

Take Care!

Old 10-28-2009, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
FWIW, they're probably all going to be similar, as in-state discounts are designed to provide a benefit to the taxpayers of that state, whose taxes have been funding the college/university programs. Having the easiest residency requirements won't be popular with the voters of whatever state has them.
I see. But it was actually you that inspired me to start this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/9100212-post2.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
1. You will never recieve in-state tuition on a F-1 Visa.

2. Only public schools offer in-state tuition, private schools charge the same amount to everyone (sometimes a bit more to international students though).

If you have any other questions, send me a direct message. I'm in my last year of college and have numerous friends who are on an F-1 Visa.

Take Care!
But even though I would find a private school it would probably be as expensive as studying on a community college since they are not financed with tax-money, atleast not for international students?

If someone have any other tips on how to study cheaper as an international student I would be very thankful. Maybe some school that encourages international students to apply to their school and therefor have cheaper alternatives for international students? For example I have heard from a turkish student that Turkey is pretty much tuition-free for international students.
Or maybe there is some scholarship for international students that I can apply for? I don't do sports on higher levels so I can't apply for any scholarship like that. And I am planing to be studying business or/and economics.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:09 PM

1,193 posts, read 3,992,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by v.k. View Post
I see. But it was actually you that inspired me to start this thread:
//www.city-data.com/forum/9100212-post2.html

But even though I would find a private school it would probably be as expensive as studying on a community college since they are not financed with tax-money, atleast not for international students?

If someone have any other tips on how to study cheaper as an international student I would be very thankful. Maybe some school that encourages international students to apply to their school and therefor have cheaper alternatives for international students? For example I have heard from a turkish student that Turkey is pretty much tuition-free for international students.
Or maybe there is some scholarship for international students that I can apply for? I don't do sports on higher levels so I can't apply for any scholarship like that. And I am planing to be studying business or/and economics.
Colleges actually have international student recruiters, like sports recruiters, but they exist to bring in truckloads of money to the university.
Colleges make a KILLING on international students. They are charged 2-4 times as much as in-state kids. There is no way they are going to give up that cash unless you can make them more cash (i.e. being awesome at sports and putting people's butts in the stadium seats) The poor economy is hurting the colleges just like everyone else.

No harm in searching for a cheap school though. Good luck.

Old 10-28-2009, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J Arp View Post
Colleges actually have international student recruiters, like sports recruiters, but they exist to bring in truckloads of money to the university.
Colleges make a KILLING on international students. They are charged 2-4 times as much as in-state kids. There is no way they are going to give up that cash unless you can make them more cash (i.e. being awesome at sports and putting people's butts in the stadium seats) The poor economy is hurting the colleges just like everyone else.

No harm in searching for a cheap school though. Good luck.
Yeah I hear you. But I actually found this now:
In-State Tuition for International Students - CollegeArea.com (http://www.collegearea.com/2009/01/in-state-tuition-for-international-students/ - broken link)

So there are actually schools that offer in-state tuition for international students. So far it seems like schools in North dakota and also Minnesota state university, mankato do so. But both of those places are in areas with pretty cold climate, I need to find a school that offers in-state tuition but in a warmer climate, preferably California. Anyone that can add any universities that also offer in-state tuition?

Old 10-28-2009, 05:07 PM

1,629 posts, read 5,381,575 times
Looking at the top 200 schools in the United States, most private schools still have more expensive tuition rates compared to out-of-state tuition at public schools. Scholarships to international students are generally given to athletes. Almost every school encourages international applicants to apply, however most won't give a discount because of supply and demand from both overseas and domestic applicants.

Better question...

What are your grades, extra-curricular activities, clubs, organizations?

What is the max you can spend on tuition per year?

---

I don't think you would want to study in N. Dakota, especially coming from overseas, ugh.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonotastic View Post
Looking at the top 200 schools in the United States, most private schools still have more expensive tuition rates compared to out-of-state tuition at public schools. Scholarships to international students are generally given to athletes. Almost every school encourages international applicants to apply, however most won't give a discount because of supply and demand from both overseas and domestic applicants.

Better question...

What are your grades, extra-curricular activities, clubs, organizations?

What is the max you can spend on tuition per year?

---

I don't think you would want to study in N. Dakota, especially coming from overseas, ugh.
Yes, I'll be looking for public schools.

My grades are pretty avarage, so I'm not extraordinary in any way. We don't have the same grade-system as in the US. We have four different grades you can get: IG (fail), G (OK/passed), VG (well done) and MVG (very well done). And my avarage of these are a bit above VG.

And I have not been doing any extra-curricular activities. There is no such thing as tuition fees in Sweden (high taxes) so there is no one who is encouraging the students to do things like this since it is not necesserily in the same way as it is for you in the US.

So.... it's hard to explain to those who give out scholarships why I should receivce it as you may understand.

The only thing I am interested in and doing on my sparetime is bodybuilding. And this is more like a lifestyle rather than a sport that the school would be interested to receive people from.

And all the tuition fees are covered by a swedish student loan. So I dont really have any limit, but I'd like the tuition to be as low as possible because I don't want to have a huge loan to repay when I'm graduated.

Old 10-29-2009, 02:44 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,909,968 times
I thought that I should point out that at least in Minnesota and North Dakota, you would meet many students whose ancestors came from Scandinavian countries, but unfortunately, they probably wouldn't know any Swedish or Norwegian...

Good luck, but I'm sure that you know that most states will make this process as difficult as possible..

Old 10-29-2009, 04:11 PM

2,441 posts, read 7,006,914 times
You will not qualify for residency, especially as an international student. Seeing as you will be on a student visa, it's clear that you are moving the United States for school and school only.

You would need to prove that you moved to whatever state you will move to for some other purpose than school. You will also need to prove that you don't plan to leave right after you graduate. With a student visa, you can't prove that.

Schools make it as difficult as possible to qualify as an in-state residents. If it is that difficult for American citizens, I would imagine it's next to impossible for non-citizens.

I would suggest trying to get an RA or TA job. Oftentimes you can receive in-state tuition with of those positions.

Good luck.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.