Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-31-2009, 05:58 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,259,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Once again; that's called hard work. Why would this make you tough???
Because hard work makes you tough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2009, 05:59 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,053,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Not really......

Old 10-31-2009, 06:09 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,170,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
So people in the South don't have hard work?

Old 10-31-2009, 06:14 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,259,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
So people in the South don't have hard work?
You're putting words in my mouth, go back and read my post, I never said that. Go to your fellow Southerner jluke to talk about that because I never said anything about the south not working.

Old 11-01-2009, 01:10 AM

196 posts, read 655,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Ok but those are the same people who start whining and crying when they have to endure a DAY of triple digit numbers; we can endure weeks straight.
Who?

I'm from the Midwest and we get into the 100s fairly often, plus we have the crazy humidity from living in the Great Lakes, so it might be 92 on the thermostat, but 114 in the heat index.

The "Taste of Chicago" hasn't been canceled when this happens. People still go to Cubs and White Sox games. So, I don't know who's "whining and crying" about somewhat typical midwestern summer weather.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wpmeads View Post
The point was that you don't have to live in a cold environment to experience extreme conditions. I've walked out of the house before and found that I couldn't drive my car because all the roads where flooded. Hurricanes, tropical storms, and flash floods are just as common to Gulf Coast cities as blizzards are to the Midwest. I don't think living in a cold environment makes you any tougher than any other place with extreme conditions. I'm NOT trying say that the Gulf Coast is a harder environment than the Midwest, it's just a different kind of harsh weather. Besides, when it comes to harsh environmental conditions, none of our cities compare to Hawaii (heat, humidity, hurricanes, volcanoes, ext.)
Yeah, those are harsh, but those are not really conditions that are so regular that you have to deal with it everyday for 3 or 4 months out the year, like say snow.

Plus, the midwest gets crazy storms and floods too. The southern half of my state(Indiana) was so flooded last year that it took 3 weeks for our phone lines to be fixed because all the line workers were dispatched to Southern Indiana. Also, places like Iowa are constantly flooding. Did you not see the epic flood they had last year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCN View Post
No they don't. And there is a definite difference between Northern and Southern people. I had never really paid much attention to the weather. It rains, you put on a raincoat and carry an umbrella; it is hot Summertime, you put on a cool sundress and carry an umbrella; but when it thunders and storms, you go inside and stay away from electrical and metal things; and when it snows, we get really excited because we don't see very much snow. We stop and enjoy it! When it gets below 20 degrees, I try my best to stay inside and hope it warms up soon. We don't get much of that either.

Weather changes: adjust! I guess being tough in the North is necessary. Otherwise, you would never get anything done. I just don't live my life wondering what tomorrow's weather will be like. Our weather sometimes changes in the middle of the day.

Now the real question and I don't want to hurt my Northern friends feelings: Why do Northerners brag so much, period. Why do you feel that your city has to be the best, or your ball team have to be the best. I don't identify myself with what the Panters did this weekend. In fact, I don't care how the Panthers did this week end. If the Panthers never played another game, I wouldn't care. If you like football, then watch them, but don't use them to identify Charlotte. Charlotte was here before the Panthers were and it is still here after the Hornets left. Charlotte is a clean city with lots of trees. Our toys are a little bigger than a little ball that is thrown around. We have NASCAR.
Are you kidding me?

Football is a RELIGION in Alabama, Texas, Georgia, and Florida. Of course in NC, the NFL is relatively new in NC and you guys don't have a long history of pro team sports, so there's less attachment than say in New York, Chicago, and Boston, but the south overall, is where sports is most important. College Football is more important to southerners, than pro sports are in most northern cities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
^ I think we're just not use to that in Chicago. For all the "winter" talk, Chicago actually doesn't get much snow. A vast majority of storms drop 1-4" of snow. Once a year or so do people actually get excited about a 8-10" snowfall. I've been here 9 years, and I don't think we've ever gotten a full 12" all at once.
That would be from global climate change?

As a guy who grew up 20 minutes from where you are(Northwest Indiana) and who was actually born in a snow storm, lemme tell you, snow was very much a part of the culture. It is only recently that it's been warm sometimes into December. I remember I think it was sometime in the late '90s people wearing shorts on Christmas Eve out here.

That was unheard of in the '70s, '80s, and early '90s. We used to have blizzards in May out here. Not so much these days.

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Maybe Southerners aren't as arrogant so they don't feel the need to brag, even though handling the heat makes someone equally as tough as handling the cold.
Because you don't get both we do. We get 100 degree weather and we get sub-zero weather. I lived through the -60 weather of the winter of 1993 and the 1995 Midwestern heatwave where the heat indexes reached 130 F in some places.

1995 Chicago heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We don't get hurricanes or earthquakes or anything like that, but we do at least in my part of the country get extreme weather fairly often.

I will say in the past decade, the weather has not been as extreme as it used to be. The heat hasn't been as intense in the summer, nor as much snow in the winter as it used to be when I was growing up

Old 11-01-2009, 08:55 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lake County IN View Post
Who?

I'm from the Midwest and we get into the 100s fairly often, plus we have the crazy humidity from living in the Great Lakes, so it might be 92 on the thermostat, but 114 in the heat index.

The "Taste of Chicago" hasn't been canceled when this happens. People still go to Cubs and White Sox games. So, I don't know who's "whining and crying" about somewhat typical midwestern summer weather.

Plus, the midwest gets crazy storms and floods too. The southern half of my state(Indiana) was so flooded last year that it took 3 weeks for our phone lines to be fixed because all the line workers were dispatched to Southern Indiana. Also, places like Iowa are constantly flooding. Did you not see the epic flood they had last year?
True, but it's not really a constant thing. I mean Chicago gets to 100 degrees on average once every 2-3 years. The last time was a little over 4 years ago. The Great Lakes really have nothing to do with humidity up here, it's the humidity coming from the southeast that occasionally makes it up north during the summer.

Also - I'm 30 years old and from Iowa. The state really have only had 2 floods in the 30 years I've been alive...not really sure when the previous flood was - but Iowa is in absolutely no way a state that constantly floods. Last years flood there was the worst in recorded history. Before that was 15 years ago, which was the worst in history up until that point. There are minor floods on low lying areas every few years, but something that devestates areas or causes widespread disruption is extremely rare. The fact it's happened twice in 15 years is very unprecidented.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:06 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,053,880 times
Quote:
Iowa floods nowhere as much as Houston. Flooding is pretty much a normal thing in Houston. Whenever it rains; my apartment parking lot gets pretty flooded.

Old 11-01-2009, 09:22 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,436,130 times
Quote:
Who?

Yeah, those are harsh, but those are not really conditions that are so regular that you have to deal with it everyday for 3 or 4 months out the year, like say snow.

Are you kidding me?

Football is a RELIGION in Alabama, Texas, Georgia, and Florida. Of course in NC, the NFL is relatively new in NC and you guys don't have a long history of pro team sports, so there's less attachment than say in New York, Chicago, and Boston, but the south overall, is where sports is most important. College Football is more important to southerners, than pro sports are in most northern cities

That would be from global climate change?

As a guy who grew up 20 minutes from where you are(Northwest Indiana) and who was actually born in a snow storm, lemme tell you, snow was very much a part of the culture. It is only recently that it's been warm sometimes into December. I remember I think it was sometime in the late '90s people wearing shorts on Christmas Eve out here.

That was unheard of in the '70s, '80s, and early '90s. We used to have blizzards in May out here. Not so much these days.

Because you don't get both we do. We get 100 degree weather and we get sub-zero weather. I lived through the -60 weather of the winter of 1993 and the 1995 Midwestern heatwave where the heat indexes reached 130 F in some places.

1995 Chicago heat wave - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

We don't get hurricanes or earthquakes or anything like that, but we do at least in my part of the country get extreme weather fairly often.

I will say in the past decade, the weather has not been as extreme as it used to be. The heat hasn't been as intense in the summer, nor as much snow in the winter as it used to be when I was growing up
You would be delusional if you were to believe Chicago summers are comparable to Southern summers. Yes, Chicago gets the occasional heat wave. But Chicago summers are nothing like Southern summers on average. If you think the occasional heat wave means you get both in Chicago, then that would mean the occasional cold snap means the South gets both.

Old 11-01-2009, 10:47 AM

776 posts, read 1,665,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You would be delusional if you were to believe Chicago summers are comparable to Southern summers. Yes, Chicago gets the occasional heat wave. But Chicago summers are nothing like Southern summers on average. If you think the occasional heat wave means you get both in Chicago, then that would mean the occasional cold snap means the South gets both.

Amazing how often you hear this stuff. I bet there were only a couple of days the entire summer in Chicago as hot as it is in Miami today the first day of November. Most of the low lying south is very hot and humid with no let up for at least four months with some places lasting a good seven months. Spending a week at the beach in Florida in July doesn't equate to living the real world experience 24/7 year after year.. They should go spend the week in Disney World or Houston with the family making sure to spend part of the day outside walking and seeing the sights and then get back to us..lol

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 11-01-2009 at 11:00 AM..

Old 11-01-2009, 10:56 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,436,130 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnVosilla View Post
Amazing how often you hear this stuff. I bet there were only a couple of days the entire summer in Chicago as hot as it is in Miami today the first day of November. Most of the low lying south is very hot and humid with no let up for at least four months with some places lasting a good seven months. Spending a week at the beach in Florida in July doesn't equate to living the real world experience 24/7 year after year.. They should go spend the week in Disney World or Houston with the family and then get back to us..lol
I've gone to Disney World, Savannah, and South Carolina in July (I was living in Massachusetts at the time). It was significantly warmer than the North, but I didn't mind because I like the heat. In the North, a heat wave is 3 days of 90 degree weather. In the South, a typical summer is 3 months of 90 degree weather.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.