Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 12:08 AM

1,080 posts, read 2,260,020 times

Advertisements

Why? Stand outside naked in New Orleans on the hottest day of the summer and you could go the whole day - it'd be uncomfortable for sure but it's still bearable. Stand outside naked on the coldest day of the year in Duluth, MN and you'd be dead in 15 minutes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 02:15 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,508,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
Why? Stand outside naked in New Orleans on the hottest day of the summer and you could go the whole day - it'd be uncomfortable for sure but it's still bearable. Stand outside naked on the coldest day of the year in Duluth, MN and you'd be dead in 15 minutes.
Actually you'd die from dehydration, heat exhaustion, exposure (hyperthermia instead of hypothermia) and all that good stuff. Heat kills, easily. We've already had people die up here this heat wave, and anyone remember the huge one that hit France a few years back? Heat isn't any less dangerous than cold, you have to take care of yourself in both.

I looked this up lol, the hottest day in New Orleans was 104, which with the humidity, felt like 110.

Old 07-11-2010, 07:28 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,553,441 times
Quote:
If you did either it would make you stupid not tough.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:07 AM

2,848 posts, read 6,413,133 times
Quote:
To the contrary. I often say that I would much rather deal with northern cold than southern heat ( and I grew up in Georgia but lived in Ohio for 5 years). Why? Because on most cold days in Ohio you could really bundle up and keep active and you would be comfortable with the cold . But on a hot humid day in the South you could go naked and be still in the shade and still be miserable.

Old 07-11-2010, 08:31 AM

40,049 posts, read 34,481,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Galounger View Post
Because on most cold days in Ohio you could really bundle up and keep active and you would be comfortable with the cold . But on a hot humid day in the South you could go naked and be still in the shade and still be miserable.
That's what it all comes down to, isn't it? You can always put something else on, but you can only take so much off. Besides, in a lot of places you might find yourself in some degree of difficulty if you took everything off.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:33 AM

6,041 posts, read 11,436,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Actually you'd die from dehydration, heat exhaustion, exposure (hyperthermia instead of hypothermia) and all that good stuff. Heat kills, easily. We've already had people die up here this heat wave, and anyone remember the huge one that hit France a few years back? Heat isn't any less dangerous than cold, you have to take care of yourself in both.

I looked this up lol, the hottest day in New Orleans was 104, which with the humidity, felt like 110.
You're dodging MN55's original statement. He said you would die if you stood outside naked in Duluth during the winter, which is true.

Old 07-11-2010, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
You're dodging MN55's original statement. He said you would die if you stood outside naked in Duluth during the winter, which is true.
Actually, I missed it. But my point still stands and don't try to distract from it. Standing naked or not (though that might help you a lil) in any hotter area for too long would kill you too. I'm assuming a Duluth winter is on the more "extreme" side, so imagine a city on it's hottest days. We all know you can freeze to death, are we pretending a hot day can't kill you too?

Old 07-11-2010, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Actually, I missed it. But my point still stands and don't try to distract from it. Standing naked or not (though that might help you a lil) in any hotter area for too long would kill you too. I'm assuming a Duluth winter is on the more "extreme" side, so imagine a city on it's hottest days. We all know you can freeze to death, are we pretending a hot day can't kill you too?
Heat can kill you too, but you have to take more precautions when it's cold. People work outside in the summer with clothes on and they survive. But if they worked outside naked in the winter somewhere cold, they would die.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by city_data91 View Post
Heat can kill you too, but you have to take more precautions when it's cold. People work outside in the summer with clothes on and they survive. But if they worked outside naked in the winter somewhere cold, they would die.
If you were working in the cold, you'd go longer because you were generating heat and building energy. If you tried working in high heat, you'd exhaust yourself, waste your energy, and risk complications. Working in the heat is dangerous, that's why they were passing free water out to people working outside up here the last few days. In fact, they were passing out water to bums who don't do anything but lay around, they had to open public cooling centers so people wouldn't get hurt/die, which they did.

What more precautions are you talking about? All you have to do is reasonably cover up. As someone who walks around at 30 and below in jeans/skirts-tights and a light hoodie/jacket I can tell you you can get by with even less than you might think. And the more you do, the warmer you get, you get used to it.

What precautions do you need for heat? You need to be aware of sunburns/sun poisoning. Yup, you can get sunburned on a hot day just walking around, yes it's happened to me plenty of times. You need to make sure you're hydrated, you need to be careful of using too much energy, and junk like that.

It's like people keep trying to make the cold look a million times worse, more dangerous, and more bothersome. They're both at least equally dangerous, and really, they're both relatively easy to deal with if you're not a moron. If it comes down to what you prefer that's fine, but don't try to twist it so your preference looks better.

Old 07-11-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
If you were working in the cold, you'd go longer because you were generating heat and building energy. If you tried working in high heat, you'd exhaust yourself, waste your energy, and risk complications.

What more precautions are you talking about? All you have to do is reasonably cover up. As someone who walks around at 30 and below in jeans/skirts-tights and a light hoodie/jacket I can tell you you can get by with even less than you might think. And the more you do, the warmer you get, you get used to it.

What precautions do you need for heat? You need to be aware of sunburns/sun poisoning. Yup, you can get sunburned on a hot day just walking around, yes it's happened to me plenty of times. You need to make sure you're hydrated, you need to be careful of using too much energy, and junk like that.

It's like people keep trying to make the cold look a million times worse, more dangerous, and more bothersome. They're both at least equally dangerous, and really, they're both relatively easy to deal with if you're not a moron. If it comes down to what you prefer that's fine, but don't try to twist it so your preference looks better.
Are you trying to tell me it's safer to work outside naked in the winter than to work outside with clothes on in the summer? If working outside in the winter is so much better, then why do a lot of construction workers and other outdoor workers not work during the winter?

When I say you need more precautions to deal with the cold, I mean you can just walk outside in the summer and you're good to go. But in the winter, you have to bundle up (which is a precaution). Plus you have to deal with shoveling the driveway, scraping ice off the windows, and warming up the car if you want to (and if you dare to) drive anywhere in the winter when it's snowing. I've lived in Massachusetts and Connecticut. I hated how I had to bundle up in the winter. But what I hated even more was that even when I bundled up, I was still cold (warmer than I would be without bundling up, but not warm).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.