Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2010, 07:44 PM

5,509 posts, read 11,824,294 times

Advertisements

drunk?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2010, 07:47 PM

1,073 posts, read 2,184,393 times
It's crazy to hear all of the heat related deaths in this country, especially in the south. Not only that, but the southern heat just plainly hurts like no other.

I really feel for you all, but at the same time the OP has a point. The hellish heat has to help man you all up!

Old 07-12-2010, 12:15 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,259,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
You can also find studies that show the numbers of deaths related to weather are actually almost equal due to hot or cold. It is all a matter if what you want to make your study show. These need to be taken with a grain of salt, until you see how they actually came up with those numbers. Most of the ones that show a higher number of deaths in cold weather are not factoring out the normal number you could expect during time period studied, as well as NOT looking at death rates during only high heat incidences, but instead the entire Summer season.
Of course you will find varying number from different studies, but every study that I have looked at said that cold kills more. Also, in the study that I posted, a 5 to 15 time increase in deaths from the heat is so large that the margin of error would not cover that amount.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:41 AM

24,606 posts, read 55,788,565 times
What about those who get the best (or should I say worse?) of both? Iowa probably gets a good mix of hot, humid summers and icy cold winters.

Old 07-12-2010, 03:44 AM

1,214 posts, read 2,507,949 times
Quote:
I'll guarantee you the people in those photos are NOT standing outside in below zero weather. Cold, yes. Sub-zero, no.

Naked at -30 or lower and your life expectancy isn't very long.
Yup, it took me a lil while to look it up, but the temp for the first two pics was around 32. The girl said it was "snowing really hard", and you can see the snow blowing sideways in the second pic, so take off some degrees for windchill and it was at least at or less than 30. I actually had the date and place for the last pic (Dec. 19, 2009, Washington D.C.) and looked that up. The high, low, and average of the day were 29, 25, 27. I couldn't get a windchill rating, but they're out there while it's snowing in "The largest storm ever recorded in December in Washington, D.C." so you can assume there was some.
The PETA Files | Protesting Naked in the Snow Makes One Cold
Naked Ambition Exhibition Opens During Record-Breaking Snowstorm at Govinda Gallery — Govinda Gallery
http://nowdata.rcc-acis.org/LWX/pubACIS_results

So, you're right, that's not below zero. But I was trying to prove my other points, regular cold (Duluth isn't the average) won't kill you that quickly, and the need to bundle up so heavily isn't as drastic as some people say. The people in the last pic were standing naked in the lower 20's and all pics have them out in below/at freezing (32 F) temps, I haven't gone out naked in something like that (sorry lol) but I still go pretty light.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN55 View Post
at MissyRoxyhart, it's snowing in your pictures. If it's snowing it probably it's probably at least 25F which isn't that cold and definitely not cold enough to kill you quickly. In Duluth the yearly low is somewhere around -20F. If you stand in that kind of weather with the wind blowing off of Lake Superior, if you weren't dead in a quarter hour, you'd definitely be passed out and about to die.
Well, yeah, but what about what I said? Duluth is brutal, but why don't you take one of the hottest cities in the US on it's yearly high and stand outside naked all day without any precautions? Both would easily kill you. And Duluth is not the average for cold/snowy cities, so how many people does this really apply to? If you wanna argue extremes, go down and try to survive in Death Valley. Honestly, what kind of moron would ever try either stunt? It's a ridiculous argument. The fact that the coldest day in one of our coldest cities could kill you is a no brainer, so could the hottest days in our hottest cities. It's not like all people who live in snowy areas deal with Duluth weather, or do so naked.

Quote:
You can also find studies that show the numbers of deaths related to weather are actually almost equal due to hot or cold. It is all a matter if what you want to make your study show. These need to be taken with a grain of salt, until you see how they actually came up with those numbers. Most of the ones that show a higher number of deaths in cold weather are not factoring out the normal number you could expect during time period studied, as well as NOT looking at death rates during only high heat incidences, but instead the entire Summer season.
Right, and then there are things like, were most of the people who died from the cold say homeless (few ways of protecting their-selves), and what exactly was counted as a heat/cold related death, and other lil things like that.

Not to mention I'm a lil wary of a study seemingly trying to prove that global warming/hotter climate change would be a good thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
Of course you will find varying number from different studies, but every study that I have looked at said that cold kills more. Also, in the study that I posted, a 5 to 15 time increase in deaths from the heat is so large that the margin of error would not cover that amount.
Actually 5 to 15 is a really big gap, just how accurate could that be? Besides, you can say things like, you're 225 times more likely to die by being hit by a car than shot (The Odds of Dying | LiveScience), it doesn't mean 100 people can't be shot one month and only one hit by a car. Odds aren't everything, and 5 to 15 isn't exactly convincing for accuracy. If alotta studies say so, more people probably do die from cold, what are the circumstances and standards though?

Old 07-12-2010, 03:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trimac20 View Post
What about those who get the best (or should I say worse?) of both? Iowa probably gets a good mix of hot, humid summers and icy cold winters.
Most of New England is another. Or I should say, alot of the Northeast.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:46 AM

4,027 posts, read 7,259,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by missRoxyhart View Post
Actually 5 to 15 is a really big gap, just how accurate could that be? Besides, you can say things like, you're 225 times more likely to die by being hit by a car than shot (The Odds of Dying | LiveScience), it doesn't mean 100 people can't be shot one month and only one hit by a car. Odds aren't everything, and 5 to 15 isn't exactly convincing for accuracy. If alotta studies say so, more people probably do die from cold, what are the circumstances and standards though?
It might be a big difference, so what? It still shows that more people die from the cold, and so far, I have been the only person to back up what they are saying with a study.

I gave you once source, if you want more go find them yourself.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
It might be a big difference, so what? It still shows that more people die from the cold, and so far, I have been the only person to back up what they are saying with a study.

I gave you once source, if you want more go find them yourself.
So what? Are you kidding, go take a statistics class, and a research methods class, 5 to 15 times is a huge difference and I'm right to question such a bogus sounding claim. I said you're probably right anyway. More people probably do die from the cold, but it's probably much closer than you think, and again, what are the outside factors! How many people the cold killed were sick, homeless, how was it decided what constituted what kind of death and when?

I think I backed up my point of people being able to stand cold (freezing) temperatures pretty well. And so you got a study, big deal. There's tons of bogus studies, and who exactly did this. I'm still really hesitant to trust a study that suggests climate change might not be a bad thing.

Yeah, I'll do your work for you. That's the way to argue, "I'm right, if you want proof go find it yourself, my word is enough."

Everyone wants to dodge this. No matter how much you ignore it, the heat is dangerous too, not just a lil dangerous, alot. The cold may kill more people, it may or may not be alot more. Maybe it does, that still doesn't make the heat any less dangerous than it is. And when you come down to it, how many people in the US live in areas where the Winter cold is a daily threat to their lives, how many live where the Summer heat is? I don't think there's too many in either direction, and if there was I'd imagine it'd be on the heat side.

Old 07-12-2010, 08:45 AM

301 posts, read 402,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcsfanatic View Post
Southerners don't brag about toughness in handling heat. Certainly not to the same degree nor the same level of exaggeration that northerners do.

For instance, in some places where it might snow on the odd occassion if schools close for a couple of inches of snow a northerner will respond with "we can have 2 feet of snow and schools would still be open" or if a southerner complains about feeling cold at 30 degrees the northerner response will be "this is nothing." The boasting goes to the point of exaggerating.

BUT....

When a northerner complains about excessive heat at 83 degrees, southerners don't boast about not turning on the air conditioning at 105 degrees or bragging about how much heat they can tolerate.

Why is it such a one way street?
Its much much much much easier to drive in hot weather than in cold, snowy, icy weather.

Old 07-12-2010, 09:54 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
I like how some people seem to think it snow 24 hours a day for 3 months straight in the winter. Like every single morning you're going to have to shovel or scrape your car (don't most people put them in garages anyway?).

Maybe in a few select places with lake-effect snow you're going to see a lot of days like that. In Chicago and most of the north you can count on your fingers how many times a year you'd actually have to shovel and deal with snow.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.