Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-28-2009, 10:18 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,215,264 times

Advertisements

True that. We get triple digits with humidty as well.

From triple digits to sub-zero, we handle it all.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-28-2009, 10:29 PM

1,069 posts, read 3,187,863 times
I've not heard any bragging. I've heard more Northereners comment that it is cold and express concern about getting to and from work when conditions get bad than anything else. Whether one is from the South or North everyone is pretty much sick and tired of winter come March and April around her in MI.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:37 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,170,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Record highs in Mich are well over 100, and yes we survive. What we have up here is more extreme temprerature changes than the south has.

Many people down south have LOTs of misconceptions about the north, and some of them make me laugh. I once had a woman ask if Lake Michigan has ice on it year round.
I think the record high for Houston is somewhere in the range 113-115 degrees plus the worst humidity of any major city in the States IMO (with the exception of Hawaiian cities, I've never been there). In Phoenix, I think their record high is some where around 125. No humidity in Phoenix though. 100+ is pretty common for the the Gulf Coast. I remember as a kid in Lake Jackson (right out side of Houston) we would have several days in a row where the temperature would reach over 109 degrees. They would issues warnings on the news about how it was dangerous levels of heat, which can be lethal at those levels if you don't keep cool and drink lots of water. Houston and Phoenix are rather extreme examples though. Most places in the southern portion of the United State's don't get as hot as Phoenix or as humid as Houston.

You would be surprised how many Texans I've talked to who have been asked by Northerners if they ride horses to school or work. As my friend from New York once told me, "there's stupid people everywhere." Trust me. In the South, we have more than our fair share.

Old 10-28-2009, 10:54 PM

3,360 posts, read 12,228,657 times
There's a big difference when you're talking about extremes in temperatures and extremes in snow accumulations.

Imagine going outside your front door everyday and finding that everywhere you need to get to including the ten feet to your car and then the twenty feet out of your driveway is covered knee deep, or waist deep with something you have to shovel that's the consistency of heavy wet cement. Living under those type of conditions implies a certain toughness that grants bragging rights.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:01 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,056,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
There's a big difference when you're talking about extremes in temperatures and extremes in snow accumulations.

Imagine going outside your front door everyday and finding that everywhere you need to get to including the ten feet to your car and then the twenty feet out of your driveway is covered knee deep, or waist deep with something you have to shovel that's the consistency of heavy wet cement. Living under those type of conditions implies a certain toughness that grants bragging rights.
Ok but those are the same people who start whining and crying when they have to endure a DAY of triple digit numbers; we can endure weeks straight.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post

The point was that you don't have to live in a cold environment to experience extreme conditions. I've walked out of the house before and found that I couldn't drive my car because all the roads where flooded. Hurricanes, tropical storms, and flash floods are just as common to Gulf Coast cities as blizzards are to the Midwest. I don't think living in a cold environment makes you any tougher than any other place with extreme conditions. I'm NOT trying say that the Gulf Coast is a harder environment than the Midwest, it's just a different kind of harsh weather. Besides, when it comes to harsh environmental conditions, none of our cities compare to Hawaii (heat, humidity, hurricanes, volcanoes, ext.)

Last edited by wpmeads; 10-28-2009 at 11:52 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 11:23 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,246,933 times
I dislike the intense sun angle and heat of the southern US. I would much rather tolerate -20F than suffer through 100F+ for months at a time.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
I dislike the intense sun angle and heat of the southern US. I would much rather tolerate -20F than suffer through 100F+ for months at a time.
I wonder if there is a city where you can find both? Actually I think something like that happens in parts of the Gobi Desert. Although, I'm not sure if it's that extreme.

Edit: just out of curiosity (and boredom), I did some fact checking on the Gobi Desert. It has the posibility of ranging from -27F to 122F.

Last edited by wpmeads; 10-28-2009 at 11:43 PM..

Old 10-28-2009, 11:37 PM

3,326 posts, read 8,821,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude1984 View Post
.... and cold is deadlier than heat.
Are there stats to back that up? I've always heard of many more people dying from heat strokes. Heat can be extremely dangerous.

Old 10-28-2009, 11:45 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,507,100 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grmasterb View Post
Pretty much everybody, everywhere gripes about the weather.
No they don't. And there is a definite difference between Northern and Southern people. I had never really paid much attention to the weather. It rains, you put on a raincoat and carry an umbrella; it is hot Summertime, you put on a cool sundress and carry an umbrella; but when it thunders and storms, you go inside and stay away from electrical and metal things; and when it snows, we get really excited because we don't see very much snow. We stop and enjoy it! When it gets below 20 degrees, I try my best to stay inside and hope it warms up soon. We don't get much of that either.

Weather changes: adjust! I guess being tough in the North is necessary. Otherwise, you would never get anything done. I just don't live my life wondering what tomorrow's weather will be like. Our weather sometimes changes in the middle of the day.

Now the real question and I don't want to hurt my Northern friends feelings: Why do Northerners brag so much, period. Why do you feel that your city has to be the best, or your ball team have to be the best. I don't identify myself with what the Panters did this weekend. In fact, I don't care how the Panthers did this week end. If the Panthers never played another game, I wouldn't care. If you like football, then watch them, but don't use them to identify Charlotte. Charlotte was here before the Panthers were and it is still here after the Hornets left. Charlotte is a clean city with lots of trees. Our toys are a little bigger than a little ball that is thrown around. We have NASCAR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.