Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:57 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,551,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by grapico View Post
happens all the time when heat index is over 100. BTW, healthy and athletic people sweat more than normal people. I wouldn't say literally dripping sweat at that point but definitely under arms, and wiping sweat off brow sweat, legs sticky.
Well I only brought it up because you don't start sweating from heat on your skin and if your core is heating up that quickly from a walk to the car there could be a problem.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 10:14 AM

11,326 posts, read 20,251,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I must say, I see this comment about people dripping sweat after a walk to the car many times on here and I am wondering how out of shape those people are.

May want to cut down on the coffee in the morning.
I agree, didn't even know that was possible.

I have no Winter toughness what so ever, Winter isn't fun at all for me, I hate anything below 65 so imagine having highs in the 40's for 3 months straight. I couldn't even imagine living somewhere colder (New England/Midwest/etc.).

Old 08-09-2010, 07:32 PM

5,643 posts, read 9,602,793 times
Sweating is natural and normal. It is the body's mechanism to cool off. In fact, if you DON'T SWEAT there is probably something wrong. It means that your internal temperature is increasing. That is when heat stroke will occur.

I have medical training. There are certain medications where going outside in the sun can be extremely dangerous. Mood stabilzors are one. Cortisone is another; even topical cortisone.

I work with children and adults with disabilities. I am 62 and weigh 103 lbs. I once had to take a disabled teenage (150 lbs.) in a wheelchair for a "walk" on a SW Florida HS blacktop track in the Noon day sun. I pushed him around that track twice. I was dripping in sweat. The boy was not sweating at all, but his face was getting beet red and he was breathing heavily. Remember, he was not MOVING at all just sitting in this very hot, humid, noon day sun in a wheelchair for about 20 minutes.

I said enough is enough to the woman in charge. He, and me, were going inside. It was becoming DANGEROUS to him to be outside. I took him inside and he drank about 2 bottles of water. I took a cold cloth and applied it to his face. He was ok after about half an hour. I, too, drank a bottle of water while I sat down and attended to him.

It's not a matter of being "in shape". You have to KNOW when enough is enough. Again, SWEATING is actually a very good thing. It means your body is doing what it is supposed to do.

Sorry, I cannot provide statistic links for this. It's just something I was taught in nurse's aide and in in service training by medical professionals. Depending on what the HEAT INDEX is for a particular day, I DO sweat walking to and from my car. Out of shape? I lift these kids all day and push them around OUTSIDE in the sun during the day.

Again, sweating is GOOD, not bad, in high temps and humidity. WORRY if you DON'T sweat.

Edit: I walked a mile home in Queens during the blizzard of 1978 when there was no other way to get home. That was an "experience", but in hindsight, that day walking that boy around that track in 95 degree heat was far, far worse. I will take the cold and the blizzard. I can trap my own heat inside with the right clothing, but in the extreme heat the only real way to cool off and avoid heat stroke is to go inside to AC.

Last edited by TANaples; 08-09-2010 at 07:53 PM..

Old 08-09-2010, 10:01 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,065,670 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by west336 View Post
Hahaha, interesting point! However, you'd be surprised how some Northerners view winter time. They don't exactly use that sentiment, but they do get excited to go outside and play in the snow and ice. But honestly, I've never heard anybody go "awesome, it's 90 degrees and humid, let's go outside and run around!", unless they went straight to the beach or pool to cool off.
Of course! Especially as a kid - we use to go bonkers excited every time it snowed. I'd be outside all day playing. Just bundle up and play around and you don't even notice the cold if it's above 20 degrees.

I still love running around in the snow after I'm through with the bars and walking home.

Old 08-09-2010, 10:08 PM

Again, it's about body heat. That is the theory behind the down clothing to trap body heat inside your clothing to keep warm. When you are outside in the cold playing/exercising/working, you are generating body heat which will be trapped inside your clothing. That is why you don't feel as cold. When you are shoveling snow, don't you feel warmer and have to take off the many layers?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:43 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,551,846 times
I looked back though and couldn't find where anyone said sweating was bad for you but once again, if your core body temperature heats up that fast from a walk to the car that you are dripping sweat you may have issues.

Old 08-09-2010, 11:05 PM

Default I must be sick then

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
I looked back though and couldn't find where anyone said sweating was bad for you but once again, if your core body temperature heats up that fast from a walk to the car that you are dripping sweat you may have issues.
because I will sweat even standing still. Actually, my husband pushed the AC up to 79 degrees and I am sitting in a chair on my laptop and sweating. My husband says he SHIVERS when the AC is set at 75 degrees. Do you Mr. Peterson shiver at 75 degrees. Floridians are overly sensitve to "cold". Maybe us Northerners are more sensitive to "heat."

Anybody else sweat just sitting or standing still? Anybody else shiver at 75 degrees?

Old 08-10-2010, 02:52 AM

15,982 posts, read 35,053,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TANaples View Post
because I will sweat even standing still. Actually, my husband pushed the AC up to 79 degrees and I am sitting in a chair on my laptop and sweating. My husband says he SHIVERS when the AC is set at 75 degrees. Do you Mr. Peterson shiver at 75 degrees. Floridians are overly sensitve to "cold". Maybe us Northerners are more sensitive to "heat."

Anybody else sweat just sitting or standing still? Anybody else shiver at 75 degrees?
Ummm.....he shivers at 75??? That's not normal. He should make a doctor's appointment. Also TANaples; you may have Hydrohydrosis.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:38 PM

43 posts, read 26,835 times
I think it's because Northerners are used to very harsh cold weather that is seldom found in the South, Mountain and West parts of the country. Although I hear Midwestern winters are worse than Northern winters, but I haven't been to the Midwest myself. I will say that when I used to live up north, I used to be physically stronger and I walked a lot more than I do now. So, maybe all that comes from enduring unforgiving winters.

Old 08-11-2010, 09:41 PM

10,138 posts, read 15,945,245 times
I have never met anyone before who has bragged about being able to handle winter weather. More often people don't care, or they just complain how inconvenient it is. Nothing else is said.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.