Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:35 AM

11,289 posts, read 26,063,401 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by danielj72 View Post
Many people down south have LOTs of misconceptions about the north, and some of them make me laugh. I once had a woman ask if Lake Michigan has ice on it year round.
OMG! That's hilarious! I was actually surprised to learn that 1979 was the only year on record that Lake Michigan froze over - although it came close in 1977 and 1994 as well.

Normally the peak cover of ice on the lake is in mid-February, when the northern portions of the lake freeze over (up near the UP of Michigan), and some areas along the shoreline.

I do know it's a really cold winter in Chicago when you can look out and see ice extending out into the distance. Sometimes it's stayed that way for a few weeks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 11:27 AM

8,488 posts, read 20,550,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
That's not even remotely close.
Please explain how shoveling snow is harder than cutting down a tree or digging 300' of trench for a drip irrigation system.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago60614 View Post
OMG! That's hilarious! I was actually surprised to learn that 1979 was the only year on record that Lake Michigan froze over - although it came close in 1977 and 1994 as well.

Normally the peak cover of ice on the lake is in mid-February, when the northern portions of the lake freeze over (up near the UP of Michigan), and some areas along the shoreline.

I do know it's a really cold winter in Chicago when you can look out and see ice extending out into the distance. Sometimes it's stayed that way for a few weeks.
And it is the same when people from the north ask how everyone deals with alligators in their backyard. There are stupid people everywhere.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:49 AM

9,333 posts, read 20,675,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
Regionalism is a core element of American history. If they had had City-Data in 1790 it would have been full of threads like

"Why are New England women so coarse?" signed Charleston Gentleman
:Bostonian Lad: I think we have a controversialist in our midst.
::The Federalist: Perhaps he intends a legitimate discussion.
::Jacob from Providence: I find our women full of feminine grace and wonderful to roger.
:::Lady Penelope: Jacob I must remind you there are ladies present. We do not need hear of your bawdy chattering.
:::The Federalist: Hear, Hear that was uncalled for Jacob.
:Charleston Gentleman: I apologize to all for my imprudence in creating this thread.
::Edward Bowie III: I am closing this thread right now as we have had enough of these.

"Outside Lancaster no one speaks English, why?" The Anti-Federalist
:Lady Penelope: They are Pennsylvania Dutch, it is just traditional amongst them.
::Charleston Gentleman: All Americans should speak English.
:::The Federalist: All Americans should know English, I don't know if they need to speak it at all times.
etc.
This is hilarious! I am surprised no one made mention of this. Thomas R. gets credit for the post of October 2009.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:55 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,712,966 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
Please explain how shoveling snow is harder than cutting down a tree or digging 300' of trench for a drip irrigation system.
Usually because you don't do those activities 20-50+ times in a 5 month period, every single year. Plus we do those as well in the Summer.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
And it is the same when people from the north ask how everyone deals with alligators in their backyard. There are stupid people everywhere.
Yes there are! I had a Science teacher in Maine explain to her class that the Great Lakes are not naturally the color you see in photos because they dye them every year to look better. My son told her she was crazy, and I got the call at home to come into the school and talk to him. She was there arguing with a 4th grader that they DO dye the Great Lakes, and he just kept shaking his head "no". I walked in, looked at what was going on, and told him not to call his teachers crazy, that was my job. Then told her she was crazy if she really believed that.

Dye the Great Lakes... come on now, that doesn't even remotely make sense.

Old 10-29-2009, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Usually because you don't do those activities 20-50+ times in a 5 month period, every single year. Plus we do those as well in the Summer.
There are other activities as well, I was just giving a couple of examples. For someone to equate shoveling snow to toughness and a reason for bragging when I equate it to common yard work I guess there is a big difference of opinion.

When 2 kids in Chicago or Michigan are arguing who's dad is tougher does it go something like this?

Kid 1: "Well by dad can shovel 60' feet of snow in 2 hours"

Kid 2: Oh yeah, well my dad can shovel 100' of snow in 1 hour and de-ice the sidewalk at the same time"

Old 10-29-2009, 12:40 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,213,612 times
Chicago doesn't even get that much snow.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:12 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,051,281 times
Shoveling snow doesn't make you tough; it's called hard work.

Old 10-29-2009, 01:16 PM

^ which is why everyone bought snow blowers in the 70's

I actually just use a shovel outside my condo since it's only about 100 feet of sidewalk and the front area. I spend a total of about an hour a year on it...

Old 10-29-2009, 01:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Yes there are! I had a Science teacher in Maine explain to her class that the Great Lakes are not naturally the color you see in photos because they dye them every year to look better. My son told her she was crazy, and I got the call at home to come into the school and talk to him. She was there arguing with a 4th grader that they DO dye the Great Lakes, and he just kept shaking his head "no". I walked in, looked at what was going on, and told him not to call his teachers crazy, that was my job. Then told her she was crazy if she really believed that.

Dye the Great Lakes... come on now, that doesn't even remotely make sense.
WTF? I don't even know why someone would think that in the first place. What color did she think the lakes were? White?

I'm assuming she thought the Great Lakes were like large ponds or something.

Did you tell her the Great Lakes are about the same size as the states of New York, New Jersey, Massachusetts, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Maryland combined?

And hold around 6,056,144,308,500,000 gallons of water. About six thousand trillion gallons.

They're blue because they're deep glacial lakes of fresh water......

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.