Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 03:01 PM

8,488 posts, read 20,551,846 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sgoldie View Post
We get ten times the amount of snow as Chicago in NNY and a full wet shovel load can barely be lifted. The 300ft ditch digging analogy may be somewhat comparable if you consider doing that every day for four months (120 times a season) before you can do anything else. It has taken me up to eight hours after a bad storm to get out of the driveway and that was with having to winch out the plow and shoveling.

I have to admit we live in probably the worst snow band in the country outside of a couple of spots in the Rockies. You haven't seen snow till it's over the top of the telephone poles. That's why I now spend the winters in Fla. Too much work.
I never said it wasn't hard work just that it is nothing to brag about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 03:04 PM

1,082 posts, read 2,879,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Peterson View Post
All depends how big your yard is.

I have 3 trees need to come down right now which is about average for the year.
I also have a 60 ft pine that is down that I need to cut up.

My irrigation is ongoing as I expand the garden and other shrubs.
That's not really a cold vs. hot issue though, so much as an urban vs. exurban issue. Plenty of people in cold climates have big yards with trees and ditches that need to be cut.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:08 PM

8,276 posts, read 11,841,506 times
Quote:
We get ten times the amount of snow as Chicago in NNY and a full wet shovel load can barely be lifted. The 300ft ditch digging analogy may be somewhat comparable if you consider doing that every day for four months (120 times a season) before you can do anything else. It has taken me up to eight hours after a bad storm to get out of the driveway and that was with having to winch out the plow and shoveling.

I have to admit we live in probably the worst snow band in the country outside of a couple of spots in the Rockies. You haven't seen snow till it's over the top of the telephone poles. That's why I now spend the winters in Fla. Too much work.
THe worst band in the continental US is probably across I-90 in New York, stretching from Buffalo to Rochester to Syracuse to Albany ,and then into northern New England. The temperatures are not as cold as, say, Minneapolis, but the snowfall can be astounding. Many of these cities approach 100 inches/year. This phenomenon is usually referred to as "lake-effect snow".

Snowblowers are usually more of a suburban thing, although you will see them used on sidewalks in more urban settings. They may be very effective in massive storms, but they can break down, and they are not always effective in getting "down to the pavement", often leaving a sheen of snow which might freeze overnight, creating an icy driveway. I've learned , from experience, that it's best to have 2-3 shovels, as you're pretty apt to break one or two during the course of the winter ( as well as a garden hoe or axe for ice chipping, etc).

Old 10-29-2009, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HenryAlan View Post
That's not really a cold vs. hot issue though, so much as an urban vs. exurban issue. Plenty of people in cold climates have big yards with trees and ditches that need to be cut.
Yes, and they will normally do that during the warm months and take care of the snow and ice in the cold months.
The warmer areas have many things to do year round also.

My only point was that I can not fathom how shovelling snow is something to brag about.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:16 PM

18,336 posts, read 26,368,533 times
I like the cold, maybe it comes off as bragging that I don't find 20 below 0 to be a problem. But I'm the first to admit I can't take hot weather, and I know some can't take the cold either...

2,023 posts, read 4,170,151 times
Has this thread been reduced to who has the hardest yard work?

3,360 posts, read 12,227,884 times
Actually the rural areas north of Rt 90 can get much more snow that any of the cities listed by even twice as much. It's just that statistically those places are more recognizeable.

MP-You'd feel differently if you survived living through this type of a winter. It's not for the faint of heart.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:28 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,053,880 times
I really don't see how climate affects a person toughness.....

Old 10-29-2009, 03:34 PM

2,023 posts, read 4,170,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
I really don't see how climate affects a person toughness.....
Agreed. Maybe in some environments, but not the Midwest or Northeast. Now if you live in the Tundra or the Gobi desert, I think that would make a person tough.

Old 10-29-2009, 03:56 PM

Quote:
MP-You'd feel differently if you survived living through this type of a winter. It's not for the faint of heart.
Once again, while it may be hard work I see nothing to brag about.

It would be like if I bragged about getting shot or stabbed or bit by a poisonous snake. Tough life experiences but nothing to brag about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.