Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,565,097 times

Advertisements

You're right. Michigan has the highest unemployment rate in the nation, and it's also the most beautiful state in the Union. I see your point.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 08:11 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,955,303 times
Scenic regions likely have many businesses whose main customers are tourists. Those businesses are apt to suffer in an economic downturn when fewer people have money to take vacations.

Here in San Antonio, we've seen a drop in tourists from other states and an increase in tourists from Texas. The Texans aren't eliminating vacations, they're just taking vacations closer to home than they might have in the past. Tourist destinations that don't have sizable populations close by may not have those alternative sources of tourists.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:14 AM

2,155 posts, read 4,562,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLimbo520 View Post
For starters, I grew up in East Texas and Omaha, NE. Recently (2 years ago) headed west to Oregon and now reside in Tucson, AZ. Basically, I always disliked living in the middle part of the country. The coasts always seemed more attractive (to me). Turns out (aesthetically, to me) they are, but the economies suck... i.e. high unemployment rates in OR. All these lame "Best places..." lists seem to point to really bland, cookie cutter, and generally uninteresting places to live. Any thoughts on this? Any places that are beautiful and have strong economies? ** More specifically... good places to raise a family? **

BTW I'm aware this is highly subjective, but I would love some opinions on this...
That's pretty a pretty sad thing you said there.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:50 AM

42 posts, read 231,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
That's pretty a pretty sad thing you said there.
Sad how? Please explain...

and thank you for being a positive contributer to this thread.

Old 10-29-2009, 06:10 PM

26,375 posts, read 46,232,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by northbound74 View Post
Many scenic places are boom/bust type of places for starters. They're wildly popular, like the pretty cheerleader, but then people realize that looks aren't everything.
Politics often ruin such places.
Out on the plains, the politics are more of the moderate, steady-as-she-goes variety, and they're also very pro-business.
It depends on what exactly you mean by pro-business? The Plains states only have growth in the urban centers while nearly every rural county declines and decays. Pro-business could also mean the attracting certain types of jobs to an area like healthcare, knowledge-based, tech, industry etc.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:28 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,562,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InLimbo520 View Post
Sad how? Please explain...

and thank you for being a positive contributer to this thread.
It's hard to be positive when the thread is about bad economies.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:29 PM

481 posts, read 1,810,968 times
On the Discovery channel some years ago, an archeologist using biblical clues, archeological evidence and satellite imagery went looking for the garden of Eden. He found it.

It was a rather dusty and smog-filled overpopulated Iranian city.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:46 PM

1,301 posts, read 3,559,773 times
Upstate NY is extremely scenic. And until the mid 20th century, was extremely prosperous.

What's killed the Upstate economy is the burgeoning cost of union concessions and high taxes that the population can no longer support after manufacturing jobs went South (and then to the Third World). Note: I am not anti-union nor anti-tax. It's just that the business climate is now so terrible because of these obligations, that the region cannot land the green-collar industries it desperately needs.

New York State's prosperity has basically shrunk down to NYC and the immediate surrounding areas. The rest of the state is as gorgeous as ever, but economically devastated.

Old 10-30-2009, 01:58 PM

36,629 posts, read 67,173,716 times
SF is perhaps one of the most scenic cities in the world. The City and its surrounding metro area also happen to be very affluent, well educated, cosmopolitan with a half-trillion dollar economy that is a standard bearer of innovation for the world today.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:46 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,457,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan83 View Post
You're right. Michigan has the highest unemployment rate in the nation, and it's also the most beautiful state in the Union. I see your point.
You know I'm tempted to find this a bit too boosterish, but there must be something about Michigan. Despite the poor economy Michigan was listed as one of the "sticky states", meaning people born in Michigan tend to stay there or at least return there. It sounds miserable on TV, but it must have some appeal.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.