Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 06:04 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,324,635 times

Advertisements

What do you think? When gas increases to $5/gallon, resources evaporate, etc. will everyone move back into the cities of the US?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 06:09 PM

3,119 posts, read 6,561,116 times
Nah.

We're going to come up with an alternative to oil, and then we'll be living in our nice, spacious suburbs AND we'll be environmentally friendly. We'll come out looking like geniouses. Then the rest of the world will really be PO'd at us.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:01 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,445,585 times
It's possible it could decline, but abandon sounds a tad overdramatic. There were some suburbs before automobiles were common.

Streetcar suburb - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I believe I read somewhere that the Mayas had suburbs.

Plus some people actually like suburbs. I believe a study indicated people in suburbs are more satisfied with life than urbanites. Or at least it was about the same.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:02 PM

13,966 posts, read 24,000,674 times
I think you'll see more people choose cities in the future but I don't see a complete abandonment of the suburbs. But, I do think you'll see a shift toward more wealth in the cities. This reverses a trend we have seen since the end of WWII.

Old 10-29-2009, 07:03 PM

1,928 posts, read 5,147,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
What do you think? When gas increases to $5/gallon, resources evaporate, etc. will everyone move back into the cities of the US?
No. Too many people are in love with suburban living. Many if not most have jobs in the suburbs and all the conveniences that one would need. Where I live, my food store, gas station, bank, etc are all within a few miles drive. Can't ask for much better than that. Now, I do commute 100 miles round trip to work (which is also in the suburbs), but that is my choice since the cost of living is considerably lower where I live than where I work. It offsets the addtional gasoline costs by a lot and besides, this is where my friends are.

There are quite a few people who live in my area and take the Metra train downtown. Higher gas prices won't effect them much.

If everyone wanted to move into the city, the price of real estate would skyrocket and many would then have to stay put where they are. While some like to make a big deal out of moving back and are hoping this becomes a self-fulfilling prophecy, I'm very skeptical that many will give up the conveniences and comforts of the suburbs. Only time will tell.

Old 10-29-2009, 08:57 PM

11,289 posts, read 26,048,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post

Didn't cities get their groove back in the 90's?

Old 10-29-2009, 08:59 PM

2,242 posts, read 6,211,248 times
Poor people will go tot he suburbs.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:07 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,324,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
Poor people will go tot he suburbs.
Thats what I was thinking.

They will "gentrify" the cities to the point where there is no affordable housing and only the rich can live in the city nd the poor in the burbs.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:10 PM

3,639 posts, read 8,269,028 times
^lol, yeah tru. this already happening now

Old 10-29-2009, 09:14 PM

4,836 posts, read 11,948,734 times
I actually just had this topic discussed today in my energy resource geography class.
With the increase of the price of oil and decrease with the amount being pumped unless some alternative is found people wont have a choice. People will move into the cities, areas around mass transit stations will be more dense. We are already experiencing things like this in DC. 2-3 block areas are Virginia and Marlyland metro stations are dense with high rises. As oil prices go up people will want to use mass transit more. Some cities mass transit systems are not great so moving downtown or close to work will be the best option. IMO it will be a change for the better.

Will the suburbs become the ghettos and abandoned? No I do not think so at least not for the next 50 years. Maybe in 100-200 years this could be possible.
But for the near future 10-20 years I see less urban sprawl and more urban living and this is evident in many cities today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.