Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 09:49 PM

2,155 posts, read 4,562,504 times

Advertisements

I find it strange when people move to another large city and complain that they don't have a certain store. My question is that wouldn't there be something else that could compensate for that? I've learned that if you look around, you'll find that cities have more than you think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 09:53 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,729,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas R. View Post
I'm not sure what that is.

Anyway I'd be fine with sushi or Chinese food even in the town of my childhood. I'm skeptical of many changes, but I'm not opposed to all change. I think what would bother me more is change that's destructive. Like "lose that family-owned diner and get an Applebee's!" or "lose that hick fiddle music and start discussing Coldplay!" or something.
PF Chang's is an upscale Chinese restuarant with 100 or so locations in the U.S. It's sort of a status symbol for smaller cities...it's a big deal when they get a Cheesecake Factory or a PF Chang's.

I love PF Chang's!

Old 10-30-2009, 09:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovely95 View Post
I find it strange when people move to another large city and complain that they don't have a certain store. My question is that wouldn't there be something else that could compensate for that? I've learned that if you look around, you'll find that cities have more than you think.
Well, yeah...in a large city for sure. But the OP is talking about a small town, and I can understand new or even long-time residents wanting certain restaurant or retail options. Not complaining about the lack of them, mind you, but discussing them is a different story.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:02 PM

Why is it every time I come onto a thread, people think I am directing a comment to someone in particular? I might as well just stop posting...

And to the original poster, sorry, talking about small towns, it's sad I know. Takes away the charm!

Old 10-30-2009, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Why is it every time I come onto a thread, people think I am directing a comment to someone in particular? I might as well just stop posting...

And to the original poster, sorry, talking about small towns, it's sad I know. Takes away the charm!
Good Lord, don't be so defensive. It's just a discussion, and I was including you in it with a response to your post. Stop posting if you want, but definitely stop taking responses to your posts so personally.

You even asked a question in your post...that indicates to me that you would like an answer. (Quote: "My question is that wouldn't there be something else that could compensate for that?"). I'm so sorry if my attempting to answer you offended you in some way.

Old 10-30-2009, 10:47 PM

13,809 posts, read 26,455,820 times
Quote:

It's just the nature of this kind of forum or maybe any forum. It makes every message appear to be directed at any individual. Particularly the individual who posted before you even if said individual started typing after you. (I type relatively slow so a message could be posted while I'm typing)

Old 10-30-2009, 10:54 PM

10,629 posts, read 26,629,167 times
Quote:
I'm not sure what that is.

Anyway I'd be fine with sushi or Chinese food even in the town of my childhood. I'm skeptical of many changes, but I'm not opposed to all change. I think what would bother me more is change that's destructive. Like "lose that family-owned diner and get an Applebee's!" or "lose that hick fiddle music and start discussing Coldplay!" or something.
I agree. I don't know what the problem would be with someone saying "oh, I wish I could get a good burrito here," or something along those lines, but I think there's a MAJOR difference between wanting another addition to the locally-owned, non-chain offerings of a town and wanting to bring in a chain or franchise. The chains contribute to the ongoing homogenization of America, and study after study has shown that they tend to send their money away from the community, while the local places keep far more of it in the local economy. It would highly irritate me if someone moved from somewhere else and started advocating to bring in chains that can be found elsewhere. If they want to complain about missing a certain favorite food, though, I can relate, and think that a little simple complaining is understandable (within reason). I miss my favorite foods from former cities I've lived in, and look forward to revisiting those places during future visits. If all they do is complain about how it was better back "home" then I'd wonder why they chose to leave.

During my brief time living in a small town, though, it was the longtime residents who tended to be the most adamant about wanting to bring in the chains; it was the transplants who were horrified by the idea, as part of the appeal of moving to a non-chain-filled small town was to get away from the blandness found in so much of America. My small-town relatives think Walmart is the best thing ever, and would love to get one in their town; I think of the idea with horror and think how it would possibly destroy their downtown and family businesses that have been around for generations.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:03 PM

Quote:
It's just the nature of this kind of forum or maybe any forum. It makes every message appear to be directed at any individual. Particularly the individual who posted before you even if said individual started typing after you. (I type relatively slow so a message could be posted while I'm typing)
Just to clarify, I didn't think the post was directed at me...I just replied to it. There was a question in the post and it seemed like active discussion. I didn't know that poster was averse to replies - believe me, I won't make that mistake again.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:20 PM
NCN

21,661 posts, read 25,502,760 times
I used to work with a lady who said she refused to move with her husband when he was offered a job in a town that did not have a McDonald's. I lived the first 18 years of my life without ever eating a McDonald's hamburger. My opinion is that a person who cannot adjust to the local way of life is a person who does not have the highest I. Q.

We have had many new stores move into our area because we have those people that insist they need these things and I don't really mind adjusting to new things, but we did just fine before they came. I still shop at Belk's, a store that was started in our town. I guess I just don't understand the big deal of shopping.

I listened to a lady who moved here from some place up North brag about going to visit back home and she was talking about how much money she spent shopping. I like to tell people how much money I saved shopping at our factory outlets.

Now, my daughter did miss Krispy Kreme when she moved to Virginia, but they and Food Lion followed her there. Food Lion also brought Cheerwine to their stores. I noticed that we have sushi on the corner about 5 miles from us, but I doubt they will ever see me inside the restaurant. To each his own.

Old 10-30-2009, 11:40 PM

Quote:
I think we take things way too seriously on here. And Deacon, sorry about the confusion, I guess I sort of viewed my question as rhetorical. Half the time, I'm not eveh focusing on the other discussions. Let's not argue, life is too short to be mad on a forum. I just view these forums as a state and go on kind of thing, I'll discuss if I feel like it or need to. You know those threads asking about the worst cities or something, I feel like, say it then leave, no need to provoke or anything. I guess this forum is just all about let's talk about it, no matter what the original poster asked and then you find several threads that become completely off topic. It's one of the few things I get peeved about on forums, that you don't know what people mean by what they say because you can't hear if they are using sarcasm or joking. And I hate using smiley faces in long texts(random, I know). You don't know how hard it was for me to put that smiley face after that third sentence lol.

Okay, back on discussion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.