Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-29-2009, 09:13 PM

4,552 posts, read 14,974,750 times

Advertisements

lets say a transplant moved to your small town or city and complained that it lacked several popular big box stores and that the people are close minded or too progressive, how would you feel?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-29-2009, 09:15 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desert sun View Post
lets say a transplant moved to your small town or city and complained that it lacked several popular big box stores and that the people are close minded or too progressive, how would you feel?
Its happened and it's annoying. Most of the time they start talking and don't realize we have those exact stores.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jluke65780 View Post
Its happened and it's annoying. Most of the time they start talking and don't realize we have those exact stores.

in the NM thread, people who have been transfered to Clovis NM are comlaining that the town dosent have a good Italian restaurant or a sushi joint or a Bed Bath and Beyond, it gets annoying, they want Gluten free and complain the people are close minded, after all they are in Clovis which is a small conservative city of 33,000 people which is practically the bible belt. They already want to change it.

The town is a BBQ, steak and Mexican food kinda town not a sushi and lasagna kinda town.

I say they need to adapt to ones living and respect the town and its ways and not try to have the town adapt to them.

Old 10-29-2009, 09:33 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,723,405 times
Quote:
in the NM thread, people who have been transfered to Clovis NM are comlaining that the town dosent have a good Italian restaurant or a sushi joint or a Bed Bath and Beyond, it gets annoying, they want Gluten free and complain the people are close minded, after all they are in Clovis which is a small conservative city of 33,000 people which is practically the bible belt. They already want to change it.

The town is a BBQ, steak and Mexican food kinda town not a sushi and lasagna kinda town.

I say they need to adapt to ones living and respect the town and its ways and not try to have the town adapt to them.
I don't really see anything wrong with progress...and I'm sure it isn't just transplants who would like to see a sushi restaurant or a Bed Bath & Beyond come to town - locals usually like those kinds of things too. As long as the transplants don't sit around and complain about it, it wouldn't bother me if they are proactive in bringing new businesses to the area.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
I don't really see anything wrong with progress...and I'm sure it isn't just transplants who would like to see a sushi restaurant or a Bed Bath & Beyond come to town - locals usually like those kinds of things too. As long as the transplants don't sit around and complain about it, it wouldn't bother me if they are proactive in bringing new businesses to the area.

its always good to have more places to shop, but not everyone wants big box stores, small towns are all we have left, they should keep their charm and character instead of turning into anytown USA.

Im sure some locals would like this too but its the kind of town that dosent like change all that much, people are content mostly with church,family and what they have.

I just belive that people should adapt themselves to a town instead of making the town adapt to them, afterall they plan on leaving as soon as they can get transferred out of town.

Im sure people wouldnt like it if I went into some small town in Georgia and complained there were too many Waffles Houses or country cooking and BBQ and that the people were close minded

I doubt people would like it if I moved to some small town in Maine and complained about the lack of Big Boxstores and that the people were too progressive.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:31 PM

11,327 posts, read 20,243,874 times
I like to have options, every "restaurant" in my neighborhood is fried-this or fried-that so I'd love for them to complain to get more options. I'm not going to lie but it would be cool to have a chain department store in the neighborhood as the current one is very old (70's-ish) and it's basically a medium sized 99-cent store which has low-quality items. I'm not even going to go into extreme-detail about everything else lol.

Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,723,405 times
Quote:
its always good to have more places to shop, but not everyone wants big box stores, small towns are all we have left, they should keep their charm and character instead of turning into anytown USA.

Im sure some locals would like this too but its the kind of town that dosent like change all that much, people are content mostly with church,family and what they have.

I just belive that people should adapt themselves to a town instead of making the town adapt to them, afterall they plan on leaving as soon as they can get transferred out of town.

Im sure people wouldnt like it if I went into some small town in Georgia and complained there were too many Waffles Houses or country cooking and BBQ and that the people were close minded

I doubt people would like it if I moved to some small town in Maine and complained about the lack of Big Boxstores and that the people were too progressive.
People don't like complaining - period. But people do like options and progress, whether it comes from within or from somewhere outside. I doubt many "big box" stores are clammoring to come to that small town or any other, but there may be a time in the future when the situation calls for it. If there is enough demand, they will come.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:13 PM

3,080 posts, read 11,029,268 times
I'd shake their hand. My hometown sucks. I couldn't wait to leave and I was never happier once I was gone. Had to move back for a few years, and found out that it was even worse going back when you know how many better places there are out there.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:21 PM

15,982 posts, read 35,035,704 times
I think everyone wants more of this or that, but somethings are just almost impossible. Moving from some big major city to a small town and complain about the lack of upscale stores or diversity.

The biggest one is the weather. You knew before you moved here that it was going to be hella hot; complaining about it isn't going to make it change. It's mother nature.

Old 10-29-2009, 11:24 PM

430 posts, read 1,307,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
People don't like complaining - period. But people do like options and progress, whether it comes from within or from somewhere outside. I doubt many "big box" stores are clammoring to come to that small town or any other, but there may be a time in the future when the situation calls for it. If there is enough demand, they will come.
Are you kidding me, people love to complain!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.