Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-29-2009, 11:57 PM

2 posts, read 3,040 times

Advertisements

Hey

I'm going to turn 18 soon and I have always wanted to live in the USA. I'm going to graduate high school this here and I'm planning on going to college but it is extremely hard to get into college here and it costs a fortune just to attend a regular public college. It costs about $10,000-15,000 USD for fees and about $10,000 for a small dorm per year.

How hard is it for a young person to get a visa? maybe a student visa so i could study in the US or should I wait til I graduate college here before making the jump to the US.

Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 12:49 AM

32 posts, read 66,432 times
Are you saying it's extremely hard to get into University in Australia? If that's the case, I think it's so damn easy! Unless you didn't do your work in HS and pretty much failed miserably.

To get a visa to the States, you need to do a job that no-one can do in the States. I doubt you have those skills right now.

Also when you say $10-$15k, that's Australian universities correct? Because a good college in the USA costs much more than that.

An easier way would be to enrol in university here in Australia, do a semester or two, and then transfer over to the USA. Or you could just go on a one year working visa, which would be very, very easy for you to get if you are studying fulltime in university and have completed at least one semester.

Old 10-30-2009, 03:17 AM

2 posts, read 3,040 times
I haven't finished high school yet but it's hard for me because I have to travel so far just to get to the closest university, so a dorm room will probably be my only option. Thanks for the information

Old 10-30-2009, 07:31 AM

3,078 posts, read 11,064,608 times
It will cost you upwards of $50,000 a year to go to a moderate-level college in the United States as a foreign student. Once you are finished with college, if you do not get an offer from a US company willing to sponsor you for a green card within 1 year, you will be forced to return to Austrailia.

If you do get an offer for a job, you will have to win a lottery of 65,000 available visas if you only have a BS degree. Some years 200,000 people apply, when the economy is bad, your chances are better as less people apply. The number of visas is unlimited for MS degrees and higher.

Unless you are extremely wealthy, your best bet for a US college is on some sort of national scholarship, grant, or exchange program. That is how most of the foreign students in US colleges afford it.

Check the Legal Immigration forum for more information.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.