Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Which have you heard of. Multiple options.
Virginia Beach, Va 94 84.68%
Norfolk, Va 96 86.49%
Hampton Roads, Va 61 54.95%
Tidewater, Va 40 36.04%
I haven't heard of any of them. 9 8.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 111. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2009, 05:42 PM

1,565 posts, read 4,329,860 times

Advertisements

So I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Our metro is composed of seven medium sized cities 100,000-500,000. We used to be called tidewater, but then our name changed to Hampton Roads. Have you heard the name Hampton Roads before?

ANd have you ever heard of Virginia Beach,Va or Norfolk, Va.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought, and tell me a little about what you have heard about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2009, 05:46 PM

11,326 posts, read 20,265,631 times
I've heard of all those. I just didn't know Tidewater = Hampton Roads.

I wonder why they changed the name? I like both names though.

Old 10-30-2009, 05:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamous92 View Post
I've heard of all those. I just didn't know Tidewater = Hampton Roads.

I wonder why they changed the name? I like both names though.
I think the main reason was the fact that tidewater describes any coastal region affected by tides. Hampton Roads is the name of the harbor in the middle of all the cities and each city is connected to it. So now that's what the region is called.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:16 PM

4,382 posts, read 16,725,254 times
There's def an identity crisis. Ive heard all of those but i just call it Norfolk, though i hear more call it Hampton roads

Old 10-30-2009, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billiam View Post
There's def an identity crisis. Ive heard all of those but i just call it Norfolk, though i hear more call it Hampton roads
Yeah, it's not cool.

I say we call ourselves "Norfolk-Virginia Beach" like "Minneapolis-St. Paul" But the problem here is that Norfolk is the biggest city but has half the population of Virginia Beach. I'm hoping Light rail creates a sense of community in the region and we finally find our place.

Old 10-30-2009, 06:36 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
Yeah, it's not cool.

I say we call ourselves "Norfolk-Virginia Beach" like "Minneapolis-St. Paul" But the problem here is that Norfolk is the biggest city but has half the population of Virginia Beach. I'm hoping Light rail creates a sense of community in the region and we finally find our place.
Norfolk is just as populated as Virginia Beach, if not more...Norfolk has a population of 243,000 in an area of 54 square miles, while Virginia Beach has a population of 434,000 in an area of 248 square miles. It's that same old story about city populations not really meaning anything for exactly this reason - if Norfolk had 248 square miles within it's city limits it would be as large or larger than Virginia Beach.

Norfolk was the largest city in that region as recently as 1980, which is probably the reason people still call the metro "Norfolk". Winston-Salem has the same problem, being left out of the Triad title because it's simply too long to say "Greensboro/Winston-Salem" - so people just call it "Greensboro".

Old 10-30-2009, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeaconJ View Post
Norfolk is just as populated as Virginia Beach, if not more...Norfolk has a population of 243,000 in an area of 54 square miles, while Virginia Beach has a population of 434,000 in an area of 248 square miles. It's that same old story about city populations not really meaning anything for exactly this reason - if Norfolk had 248 square miles within it's city limits it would be as large or larger than Virginia Beach.

Norfolk was the largest city in that region as recently as 1980, which is probably the reason people still call the metro "Norfolk". Winston-Salem has the same problem, being left out of the Triad title because it's simply too long to say "Greensboro/Winston-Salem" - so people just call it "Greensboro".
Actually if Norfolk had 248 sq. miles it would probably have 750,000+.

Did you know that 950,000 people live within 15 miles of downtown Virginia Beach and 290,000 live within 5 miles.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:46 PM

I'm actually surprised everyone that voted has heard of us.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:50 PM

9,127 posts, read 13,144,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cityboi757 View Post
So I live in Virginia Beach, Virginia. Our metro is composed of seven medium sized cities 100,000-500,000. We used to be called tidewater, but then our name changed to Hampton Roads. Have you heard the name Hampton Roads before?

ANd have you ever heard of Virginia Beach,Va or Norfolk, Va.

Just wanted to see what you guys thought, and tell me a little about what you have heard about it.
I voted for all three cities, Norfolk, Virginia Beach & Hampton Roads. You said seven cites. I can think of two more, Newport News and Portsmouth. What are the other two?

I did not vote for "Tidewater" because I think of all of coastal Virginia as being "tidewater". Including the peninsulas along the James, York & Potomac Rivers. I never heard of it just for the Norfolk area. Tidewater can even be used in other states!

Still, it may catch on.

Old 10-30-2009, 07:57 PM

7,845 posts, read 20,744,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
I voted for all three cities, Norfolk, Virginia Beach & Hampton Roads. You said seven cites. I can think of two more, Newport News and Portsmouth. What are the other two?

I did not vote for "Tidewater" because I think of all of coastal Virginia as being "tidewater". Including the peninsulas along the James, York & Potomac Rivers. I never heard of it just for the Norfolk area. Tidewater can even be used in other states!

Still, it may catch on.
Chesapeake and Suffolk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.