Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 04:45 AM

6,335 posts, read 11,498,424 times

Advertisements

I thought the OP wanted 10-20K population. That rules out Macon.

I think if we're going to help her we need to know things like how close she wants to be to the ocean or mountains. Upper or lower south. Hills or flat land. What kind of jobs do they need or are they telecommuters/ independantly middle class. Like someone said there are 1000 towns of that size where you might find a cheap big house, especially in these days of foreclosures.

Old 11-01-2009, 04:53 AM

306 posts, read 317,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
I thought the OP wanted 10-20K population. That rules out Macon.

I think if we're going to help her we need to know things like how close she wants to be to the ocean or mountains. Upper or lower south. Hills or flat land. What kind of jobs do they need or are they telecommuters/ independantly middle class. Like someone said there are 1000 towns of that size where you might find a cheap big house, especially in these days of foreclosures.
But that is the point that I was trying to make at the beginning of the thread. The majority of the people are very unfamiliar with just naming small towns unless they are in the area they are currently living.

However, people no of slightly largers metro areas and then it would be up to here to find here small town near that area, which was my point with Macon. Research the small areas around Macon. I can't name any towns with under 10,000 people off of the top of my head, I doubt that many can.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:19 AM
Bo Bo won $500 in our forum's Most Engaging Poster Contest - Tenth Edition (Apr-May 2014). 

Over $104,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum and additional contests are planned

17,107 posts, read 37,960,312 times
More posts above were deleted. This is the second warning about keeping posts helpful in this thread. If it happens again, the thread will be closed.

The best way to be helpful is to reply only to the original poster. Replying to other posts in the thread may not be helpful, so think carefully before you do it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowie View Post
Some posts above were deleted. Here's a reminder from the Terms of Service:

While it's admirable to be loyal to the part of the country you live in, loyalty is no excuse for insulting other members. It's fine to disagree, but don't get personal with your counterpoint when you disagree.

Besides, this is a thread where it's more important to be helpful than to be right. The OP is asking for recommendations and is fully capable of sorting out conflicting information from those recommendations without our help. If you're only posting to be right, you're here for the wrong reason.

Old 11-01-2009, 11:22 AM

776 posts, read 1,665,603 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Just mention the south and the hate will follow.
The civil war is over. We all (races) elected a black president.
Imagine if this was said of another locale or people.
After sitting down and thinking it stinks more than ever.
You have to differentiate between the larger cities and coastal tourist resorts with the small rural towns in the south. Those differences are still there but it just appears to be more partisan political bickering and more discussion due to the media and internet than even a decade ago..The recent election most of us hoped would help bridge the gap but now has made it wider unfortunately. Just go to the policial discussions on CD.. quite pathetic.. Many of the exhurbs far outside of Atlanta maybe 30-50 miles from the city are very affordable now, a great value with tons of newer distressed McMansions from overbuilding due to the bubble. You didn't get the overbuilding in small rural isolated towns..

Last edited by JohnVosilla; 11-01-2009 at 11:34 AM..

Old 11-01-2009, 05:50 PM

21 posts, read 110,321 times
First of All im not a She, im a HE.

secondly, I am in criminal justice, anything that has to do with security, courts, police work, etc... so job hunting im ok on. Im not worried about work. Im worried about a community of people between 2,000 - 10,000 people. I want a home under $130,000. The home i need has to be at least 3 bedrooms, 2 baths. where can i get a very nice home for this price? Thats all i need.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:18 PM

6,335 posts, read 11,498,424 times
Here's a suggestion. Log onto craigslist in areas you feel are appealing. You can search by price and BRs. Then study the small towns where you like the look of the houses in your price range.

Old 11-01-2009, 06:20 PM

1,247 posts, read 3,848,725 times
You want to throw Ohio into the mix?

Your wish can easily be done here

Old 11-01-2009, 06:44 PM

1,201 posts, read 2,336,361 times
try selmer or finger, tn. should be able to find three to four bedroom, 2 to 2 1/2 bath, brick for 225,000 to 260,000. maybe an acre of ground w/ it, if you talk real sweet. these areas are near pickwick reacreational area and shiloh national military park. pretty area. good luck.

Old 11-01-2009, 07:57 PM

21 posts, read 110,321 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daytonnatian View Post
You want to throw Ohio into the mix?

Your wish can easily be done here
I live in Ohio now im trying to get AWAY hahahah. tired of winters, im in akron canton area.

Old 11-01-2009, 08:50 PM

9,436 posts, read 10,713,932 times
Several people seem to think it is ok to attack the south. The south is NOT backward, and it would not be hard for someone from the midwest to adapt to the culture there. The people of the south are very friendly and open, despite the constant attacks against them. Someone from New york city may have a hard time with the pace of life in the south, but the poster is from Ohio right??? Other than a noticable difference in accent someone from Oh prob would fit right in. The cost of housing between Ohio and much of the south is probably similar, unless you go looking around the growing cities like Atlanta, Charolotte etc. Knoxville and Nashville had good job markets up until recently, and homes in those cities were somewhat resonable. Birmingham is a very nice city too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.